Thread: Good nut roast recipe?

Default Good nut roast recipe?

Does anyone have a good nut roast recipe?

I'm not very good at baking and don't want to have to make one in advance to make sure the recipe works so would really appreciate a good reliable recipe.

I tried this one last year (I really like the idea of a lemon filling having had a great roast with one once.) but it didn't work too well, I think because I doubled the recipe to fill our 2lb roast tin. So yeah, recipes for 2lb tins especially!
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default Re: Good nut roast recipe?

I really like the cashew nut roast / white nut roast (can't recall exact name and the recipes I can find online aren't the same - but it is in Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts book). It has a very tasty lemony herby centre layer but is not quite the usual nut roast as it only has cashews. I've doubled and tripled the recipe without problem.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

^ Damn, my mum stole our copy of that book. That could be the very recipe I had and enjoyed once before.

EDIT: Just bought myself a new copy

The Cashew Nut Roast with Mushroom Stuffing from Viva is my favourite.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

http://www.cranks.co.uk/recipes/view/50
    my mum has been making this one since the 80s!

I haven't made one for ages - I used to use a recipe very much like this http://www.thewi.org.uk/viewNews.aspx?id=10901 and I have definitely made it since being vegan but I can't remember what I subsituted for the eggs - just a bit of extra margarine I think.

Actually it looks as if that one and Risker's may have a common ancestor.

The Cranks one looks nice and simple!

it is very simple but ohhh so tasy. nomnom. you can also add in some cranberries (dried or frozen) which adds a little bit of colour!

Must give a try. I always used to dread the turning-out part but it's not too bad if you use greaseproof paper to line the tin and then lift it out with that, she says dubiously.

she usually makes it in the dish we serve it in, like an ovenproof dish or a disposable foil tray.

Yes, I think that's a much better idea - the layered ones I suppose look nice if you manage to turn them out intact, but it was a big "if" as far as I was concerned.

I make nut roasts using packets of nut roast or chicken style loaf mix as a base but add fried caramelised red onions, mushrooms, other veg, nuts, cranberries, nutrional yeast and breadcrumbs. I make about 6 in one go and take to family when I visit so buy a pack of foil loaf tins with lids. I mix cashews and cranberries with maple syrup and layer the base of the tin so when you turn it out it looks a bit like a dundee cake!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)

Has anyone tried the Cashew Nut Roast with Sage and onion stuffing recipe from Vegan Family. I keep wanting to try and make a nut roast but never get around to it. M&S are doing 2 festive nut roast this year - the roasts look vegan but the sauce packets are not. If anyone gets desperate enough they could get one and give the sauce away.

I had a go with veganosie's mum's Cranks recipe last night and it was very good indeed. It's probably just as well I didn't try to turn it out of the dish as it wasn't that solid (think I put too much liquid in, or could it be because I had to use oil rather than marge? anyway I'm sure it was "user error") but it didn't run around the plate or anything like that. I made a mushroom and tomato sauce to go with it.

Am looking forward to having some of it cold now...

no it never is too solid but that's how i like it, it's not really a nut loaf or anything. it is wonderful though!

Yes, made me very nostalgic thinking about the old Cranks restaurants as well! Anyone else remember those? I believe there is still one in Devon - must get myself down there sometime.

If you wanted to make a pie rather than a loaf shape, the recipe I made up yesterday based on what my family have eaten every year for the last 25+ years turned out pretty well.

1 tin (415g) chestnut puree
    350g mixed nuts (I used Sainsbury' organic mix of walnuts, brazils, hazelnuts and almonds because they were cheaper than non organic and no peanut filler!)
    1-2 tbs oil for frying (I used rapeseed oil)
    3 onions, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
    about a heaped teaspoon stock powder
    1/2 teaspoon each of sage, rosemary and thyme
    about 2 tablespoons brandy
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Cup of wholemeal breadcrumbs.
    Packet of Jus-roll puff pastry.

Method.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius, 350 F, gas mark 4.

Fry onions and garlic on a gentle heat until softened.

Grind up nuts in food processor, add tin of chestnuts, half tin of tomatoes and the herbs and brandy. Pulse to mix.

Turn out nut mix into a mixing bowl, add cooked onions and garlic and a cup or so of wholewheat breadcrumbs (enough so the mix isn't too sloppy, although it will firm up a bit when it's cooked.)

Taste and season if necessary.

Cut puff pastry in 2, roll out one half and press into a foil-lined baking tin with a decent depth. (Mine was about 11x7 inches across and about 1 inch deep but you could use a bigger tin, as I had about 1/3 of the filling mix left, and the pie I made would have served 6 people easily).

Fill the pastry-lined tin with the nut mix. Roll out the other half of the pastry and cover the pie. Make a couple of holes for steam-escape.

Bake in oven for around 30-40 minutes. Check after 20 mins that the crust isn't burning. You could try brushing with oil and/or covering with foil if it is (this is guesswork as mine was perfectly brown after 35 minutes on a lower shelf under the potatoes )

The recipe for the pie I have with my parents calls for mushrooms and celery but I didn't add them to this as I was with mushroom and celery haters. They make tasty additions to this pie though. I'd say you should saute with the onions and garlic if using.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I have been using this cashew nut roast recipe for several years now and it is a hit. I serve it with herbed brown gravy.

http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-str...la-peta-146115

I believe its a modified version of an old PETA recipe.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote Marrers View Post
    I really like the cashew nut roast / white nut roast (can't recall exact name and the recipes I can find online aren't the same - but it is in Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts book). It has a very tasty lemony herby centre layer but is not quite the usual nut roast as it only has cashews. I've doubled and tripled the recipe without problem.
    I got a new copy of the book and the recipe looks great, only problem is it involves 225g of almonds which we thought might make it a bit marzipany so we're going to used mixed nuts instead.

Herbed Nut Loaf I've used this for years, originally from an Australian cook book

30g Butter
    1 large onion
    1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
    1 1/2 cup milk
    1 flax egg
    200g ground Cashews
    100g ground Brazils
    200g breadcrumbs
    1 tbsp fresh Parsley
    filling;
    200g Breadcrumbs
    4 shallots
    1 tsp each Fresh Thyme, Rosemary and Sage
    2 Tbsp each Fresh Parsley and Chives
    1/4 tsp Nutmeg
    90gr Marg
    1 Flax egg
    Grease and line (grease paper as well, makes it easier to get out) a 15cm x 25 cm loaf tin
    Melt butter and cook onion until soft, stir in flour, cook for 1 min. Remove from heat and gradually stir in Milk, then cook until mix boils and thickens.
    Cool, stir in Flax egg, nuts, breadcrumbs and Parsley.
    Put half mixture in loaf tin.
    For filling Melt butter and mix all ingredients together, put this on top of first layer.
    Cover with other half of nut mixture.
    Bake in moderate (180) oven for about an hour. Stand for 5 mins then tip out of tin.
    This slices well and is lovely cold the next day with pickles/chutneys or in a sandwich

All of these look lovely. How do you do the flax egg, Puska?

I haven't tried this one but it looks pretty http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2011/1...ksgiving-loaf/

1 tablespoon ground flax seed to 3 Tbsp warm water, whisk - that easy

I was looking at 'mouthwateringvegan earlier, some nice recipes there

Cheers, Puska

I need some advice if anyone can help.

I'm making a 2lb nutloaf from Rose Elliots Vegan Feasts and the recipe calls for freshly grated nutmeg.

Now, I have fresh nutmeg but I have no experience of cooking with it. Do you think it means a whole nutmeg or just some?

I wouldn't use a whole one, most recipes seem to ask for a "pinch" or something like a quarter of a teaspoon don't they? Your loaf is quite big so you could use a bit more maybe.

I seem to remember too much nutmeg can cause convulsions but I imagine you need quite a lot for that.

Thanks harpy, I'll use a 'bit' rather than a whole one. I'm not really certain what nutmeg tastes like so better that it's not too potent in the recipe.

I looked on google for the answer as well and loads of links came up for people wanting to get high off it. LOL!

Slowly making the nut roast, much more time consuming than I thought, glad I'm getting some done now instead of tomorrow. Might also peel the potatoes and parsnips in advance if I'm not too tired. I'm actually dreading the cooking session tomorrow!

I'm sure it will be fine, you sound highly organised,

Incidentally I made the Cranks/Veganosie's mum recipe (mentioned above) again this evening, and some cranberry sauce to go with it. Went down a bomb with the picky rellies - so well in fact that I will need to make something else to fill in the odd hole over the hols (thought I might have a bit left over but I didn't).

we had the cranks nut roast today and it was amazing! went down well with the fussy, carnivorous side of the family as well!

The nut roast from Rose Elliots Vegan Feasts is fantastic! It's also huge! It was overflowing in our 2lb tin. Like I said earlier, I used mixed nuts rather than the almonds the recipe called for. Think we're going to have to freeze half of it.

Glad everyone's nut roasts turned out nice. I think I have got Vegan Feasts somewhere, must dig it out.

I used to make them a lot at one time. Not sure why I stopped. I suppose they have zillions of calories in them but you don't need to eat very much at a time to be satisfied, do you?

Which copy of Vegan feasts is the recipe in (or is the same book):

I think it's the same book, but the one on the right.

Thanks Risker, I'll order the one on the right

leedsveg

I think it's the same recipe in both.

Lv

Crusty Rat

Made my first nut roast ever this Xmas and it came out really well. ^^ I did the smoked tofu version of this one: http://www.viva.org.uk/christmas/rec...ewnutroast.php

Eek, the Cranks recipe isn't where it's meant to be, but fortunately I grabbed it before - am reproducing original but obviously ref to butter should be deleted before passing to any omnivorous cooks

Cranks nut roast

Cranks Nut Roast (page 113-114 in [1]) serves 4-6
    =================================================
    Medium-sized onion 1
    Butter or margarine 1oz (25g)
    Mixed nuts, ie peanuts, walnuts, cashews etc 8oz (225g)
    Wholemeal bread 4oz (100g)
    Vegetable stock or water 1/2 pt (300ml)
    Yeast extract 2tsp (10ml)
    Mixed herbs 1tsp (5ml)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Chop onion and saute in the butter until transparent. Grind the
    nuts and bread together in a liquidizer or coffee grinder until
    quite fine. Heat the stock and yeast extract to boiling point, then
    combine all the ingredients together and mix well - the mixture
    should be fairly slack.

Turn into a greased shallow baking dish, level the surface, sprinkle
    with a few breadcrumbs and bake in the oven at 180C (350F/Gas Mark
    4) for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Garnish with fried onion
    rings, if wished.

There are many variations on this recipe. One is to replace ~1/2
    the stock or water with red wine. You can also put a layer of
    mushrooms in the baking dish as well.

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    The Cashew Nut Roast with Mushroom Stuffing from Viva is my favourite.
    I made that today with mixed nuts, my first ever nut roast! It was really good and it held its shape reasonably well, recommended!
    Houmous atá ann!