Thread: I hate being told that my facts are just opinions

Default I hate being told that my facts are just opinions

ugh, sorry to rant but people can make me so angry! im not even an angry person, but i hate when meat-eaters shut down my facts and tell me they are "a matter of opinion". like many vegans, ive read up on my facts. i have read up about health and nutrition. i make informed decisions about what i eat. last night i was at work listening to two co-workers talk about how they are cutting down on carbs to loose weight. the one girl boasted about how she had only had meat and veggies for dinner. she also said the other day she got a burger and took of the top bun so it was just the patty and the lower bun. the other coworker was nodding her head and saying things like "yea you never know what they put in that bread". i couldnt help myself. i had to interject. i said " you know the saturated fat and cholesterol in meat is way worse than anything youll find in bread" ( i didnt bother mentioning antibiotics or hormones at this point). that where the "well thats a matter of opinion" came in. i calmly explained that the right carbs are very good for you. you can buy all-natural bread that has nothing but whole wheat flour and water in it. carbs come in all forms like potatoes and corn and things that are very good for you. they give you energy and if you replace meat with plant foods like these complex carbs instead of the other way around, you are way better off. its not opinion, there is vast amounts of research that shows this. at that point she rolled her eyes at me so i just stopped trying. sorry for trying to help you ladies...next time ill save my breath

Default Re: I hate being told that my facts are just opinions

Yeah it's unfortunate and often infuriating that you basically need to keep quiet and let people spread fallacies and further the ignorance and misconceptions of the populace unless you want to end up completely alienated. As someone who very nearly decided to go into nutrition as a career due to having such an interest in it I've read a lot and have a fairly decent understanding of nutrition and other related subjects, this often leads to me wanting to bash my head into a wall.

I over heard so many ridiculous conversations at my old job concerning nutrition and health, the worst part is that most of the nonsense was told to them by their doctors... I really think there needs to be more emphasis put on nutrition during medical school, and older doctors need to be forced to take up to date nutritional courses so that they stop quoting 50 year old pseudo-science.

Yes I find that I always use facts when I'm talking to meat eaters but they will happily state their opinion as if it's a fact. I do find that many meat eaters are surprisingly ignorant about where their food comes from and what's in it unlike the vegans I know.

I know how you feel, wanting to share something good with people who don't want it. The fact of the situation is though, that you are an herbivore with an herbivore's viewpoint and value system, while they are predators whose lives are founded upon violence. They are basically like savage pirates; they are not going to listen to you or care. They eat organs, they do not deeply think or care about a wholistic lifestyle. They think as a predator; shallowly; about theirselves, about feeling more powerful, better, greater, and more important. There is indeed a green movement happening, but the vegan perspective is a reverse perspective to the predator's, and thus it is contrary to the mainstream culture of our species. Essentially, vegans do not act exactly like humans, so our unique ideas are not going to be well understood. Take comfort in knowing that your wisdom is valued and respected by those of our kind. Maybe oneday your coworkers will have an epiphany.

it just frustrates me that there is substantial research to show the countless benefits of veganism and the countless wrong-doings of the livestock industry but no one knows about it because the people who control which information we get bombarded with every day are the people making money running that livestock industry. millions of people are so misinformed. its like living in the freaking matrix

Hello Trinity,

well, there's that old joke about how many psychiatrists it takes to change a lightbulb - only one, but the lightbulb hast to WANT TO CHANGE.

I find it oddly true at many times. As long as people want to close their eyes to the truth because they know they will not like the truth, it is very hard to argue with arguments and reason.

Do not let that deter you from your own way. There might be some who are openminded and want to learn, and the only thing that can be done is to repeat the truth on and on again.

Best regards,
    Andy