Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

Default Re: hi, protein hair questions

It makes me nearly throw up!! *gag*

I need something with a really strong taste to take the taste of it away after.

I can't still taste it from when I took it a few hours ago. Bleh.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote Mr Flibble
    maybe i'm just hardcore then? For the past month I've been having 3 spoonfuls of this stuff each night before bed. Tastes fine to me
    Mine is like that but a different brand. I wish i liked taking it.

Actually I think it is the same but in a different bottle.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Bananas have a strong flavor. Ooo--mash a ripe avocado and ripe banana together. It's very creamy and sweet and strong. I bet that might do the trick!

I'll try anything.

I brought so many different type of fruit/veg today and the only two I didn't buy were banana and avocado.

Ha, ha, but of course. (That kind of thing always happens to me!)

Do you have something thick? Let's see...banana, avocado...what else is a thick-nectared fruit?

I dunno...I can always buy some tomorrow before I take the "Poison".

Seaside

I am worried that you folks who think flax oil is horrible are taking rancid flax oil. It is supposed to taste nutty and pleasant, and I have always found it so. But I take cold-pressed. fresh, refrigerated oil, and do not consume it if it has expired.

Mashed banana and avocado is an excellent hair and skin treatment, by the way. Kinda messy, though.

Yeaj I took flax oil for a long time and it wasn't likie screw your face up stuff it was like sesame oil or something similar. What does it taste like to you?

Mine has other things in though not just flax oil?

Maybe I should by the seperate ones...hmmmmm

I get a little bottle of just flaxseed oil, and add it to a smoothie for breakfast sometimes. I've never noticed a flavor at all, really.

Flaxseed oil is like £6 - £8 here sometimes. I need to take the stuff that makes me wanna be sick though as it wasn't cheap really specially for me on my £30 a week college money lol.

Quote Seaside
    I am worried that you folks who think flax oil is horrible are taking rancid flax oil. It is supposed to taste nutty and pleasant, and I have always found it so. But I take cold-pressed. fresh, refrigerated oil, and do not consume it if it has expired.
    I have the same stuff as xwitchymagicx, it is quite fresh (not long life, but several months) that should be refrigerated after openning (although I don't). To me it tastes a lot like cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (which these days I get through quite a lot of), with a slight nuttiness. It tasted a bit odd to start with, but about a week into taking it it was fine.

Personally I only really bought it as a novelty to try, i'm not sure what tangeable benefits it brings
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Do you take flaxseed oil every day?

I heard that vegans should have a spoonful of flaxseed oil everyday. I bought some once and I couldn't stand it, it smells too much like fish!

Do you eat flaxseed oil?

Pilaf

Default Re: Do you take flaxseed oil every day?

We probably should, just to be safe. I haven't really gotten "into the habit" yet, mostly because it's so hard to come by where I live.

I put about a teaspoon of flax oil in my morning breakfast smoothie.

I only bought mine about 3 weeks ago from H&B so it is in date. I just find the taste to strong. I still take it so it cant be as bad as i made out

Sarah & Puffin -

I would have to agree with you and say that flax seed oil has an odd taste to it.

I usually put my flax oil in some orange juice.(I buy a nice organic orange juice, it's sweeter than most orange juices you would find in the store. The sweetness helps alot) It's really good.

I don't use a blender or anything, I just put a bit or juice and a tablespoon of Flax oil into a container, but the lid on and shake for a minute than just drink out of the container. Works for me

I also can't swollow pills, so when I need to take iron supplements or vitamin C, I usually crush them up and put them into the container aswell!

Here in Canada, you can buy orange flavored Flax seed oil. I've never bought it, but I did get a tiny sample bottle free when I bought my reg. flax oil. It tasted pretty good.

Maybe thats my problem then. I just take it straight from the bottle. I dont really drink orange very often. I shall try it tomorrow in a bit of orange and see how i go. I am also going to try the mashed banana

Hey Puffin -

I just looked at my flax oil bottle.

It says that flax goes great with apple, carrot, celery, cherry, lemon and prune juices.

you could try one of those instead or OJ!

Thank you terra, i shall give one of them a go and get back to you

sounds good.

I don't know about the celery juice, but it might be good combined with apple!

Puff -

I just tried mine with apple juice - TASTY!

CatsPJ's -

We somehow started talking about flax oil here ...

There are a few suggestions from me and others about how to take it if you don't like the taste...

I don't take it everyday, only when I remember.

I haven't took it today. I'll have to see what it tastes ok in. I don't have oranges so I'll have to see something else and try. I'm not wasting it at £6 a bottle!!

I never do anymore. I bought some seeds and hated it. And then I bought some oil and it was okay---but it has since gone rancid and I am too cheap to spend $10 on a new bottle.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I'm supposed to take it but I'm waiting to buy something to put it in so I won't taste it.

you have to be careful with flax oil because sometimes they do contain fish oil or something to that effect.

I grind up flaxseed fresh & I dont mind the taste, but even a tablespoon full everyday is too much fiber for me.

I sprinkle flaxseeds on my food sometimes. I like the seeds, but not the oil. But I think they might just be going right through me, undigested.

When I make couscous or pasta, I cover it with flaxseeds, sesame seeds, and nutritional yeast. Really yummy.

cats, I've always heard & read that you need flax grinded or you're injesting it for nothing. Plus, isnt that unsafe to your colon since they aren't digesting?

Yogini

I take flaxseed oil every day because I'm prone to depression and bipolar mood swings. And yes, it is foul. I've read that hempseed oil not only tastes better, but is a better source of Omegas. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any and as you're supposed to refrigerate these oils, I'm hesitant to buy any over the Internet.

Love,
    Anna

ConsciousCuisine

My family LOVES the taste of flax oil! There are differences in the taste/processing of each brand. We searched and sampled many before we came upon the one we enjoy (Spectrum) and we eat it on anything and everything!

We use it in smoothies, drizzled on top of steamed veggies, as a salad dressing...we also use ground flax in smoothies, baked goods and oatmeal and so on; in fact we use ground flax more than the oil as it is more economical and the fiber is really beneficial.

Cafejane, how do you survive as a vegan when a small spoon of flax is too much fiber I mean, nearly every food a vegan eats is fiber-rich and 2 tablespoons of ground flax have only 4 grams of fiber

I really should invest in some.

On the bottle, it says you can freeze it for longer storage periods.

So...if I pour half the bottle in an empty water bottle and freeze that and eat the rest of the oil in the regular bottle....will that be good? Just thaw it out.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

CC!! , I'm wondering myself. I didnt have problems until I started eating it. *shrugs*

EDITED+++ Oh, by the way, I bought these things called "Doctor Crackers" & they have whole flax seeds on them, along with sesame seeds & such, but I'm wondering if chewing the seeds grind them enough? Kinda mixed info when it's advised not to swallow them whole & a company places them whole on crackers.

Eh... I'm still learning...so...

ConsciousCuisine

Well, you *knew* I was going to ask...what kind of problems specifically? Gas? Bloating? Loose stools? Cramping?

CC, all the above babe

I have a bottle of organic flax oil & they dont bother me, but then again I dont think they do much anyways...

alpha-linolenic 550mg
    linolenic - 130 mg
    oleic - 120mg

per 2 capsules.

ConsciousCuisine

Cafejane, I sent you a PM about this

I answered *winks*

cross barer

I started mixing seeds in with porrige. I too have heard that whole seeds aren't great for you, but the ones I buy are split or ground to some extent. They certainly appear to be digesting completely .

This is one of those things though, this was the first 'health' aspect of veganism I started doing and it's only a few months later and I'm on B supplements, eating raw foods occasionally and working out more than ever!

Looking back on when I was a smoker (ages 8-27) I think with every single puff I was subconsiously saying to myself "I'm so worthless I don't even deserve clean air". I believe these kind of action-affirmations can be positive as well, and the flax seed kick seems to have helped me. Still can't fkn sleep though!

Oooh capsules... good idea. Then you don't have to taste it. But aren't capsules made of gelatin? Or these aren't?

Yogini

I have yet to find capsules of flax oil that weren't made of gelatin, but it can be done. I just bought some St. John's Wort in vegetarian gelcaps. I've never seen St. John's Wort in liquid form before, but the gelcaps have a higher dosage of the stuff than most other forms I've seen (about 500 mgs per cap as compared to 300 in my previous brand.)

Love,
    Anna

I guess the world can be divided into people who love flaxseed oil and people who can only "take it" like medicine. I love it. I give flaxseed oil two snaps up in a "V".

ConsciousCuisine

Quote John
    I love it. I give flaxseed oil two snaps up in a "V".

Damn straight

I've found vegetarin flaxseed oil capsules, with out geletin, but because it states vegetarian, does it mean they are no good for vegans - I'm sorry if I'm being dense?

I've found vegan capsules here...

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/841068.html

I put a dessertspoon of flaxseed oil onto my breakfast bowl of fruit, add it to any salad, and sometimes I drizzle a little of it onto certain types of bread. I'm pretty sure that anyone sprinkling flax seeds onto their food is missing out, because they need to be properly ground or they'll go right through you.
    Eve

Quote fragrantfree
    I've found vegetarin flaxseed oil capsules, with out geletin, but because it states vegetarian, does it mean they are no good for vegans - I'm sorry if I'm being dense?
    same exact thing here. It's all I could find!!

Default How to eat flaxseeds...

I always like to sprinkle some flaxseeds on top of my food to get extra omega-3's, because I don't like to use flax oil (tastes too fishy). But I've read somewhere that eating whole flaxseeds won't give you any nutrition because they'll just go right through you. So, do you grind up flaxseeds to make the nutrients available? Can I do this by just mashing them with a rock or something?

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: How to eat flaxseeds...

Coffee grinder. Mortar and pestle. Pre-ground flax.

Eating flax whole just results in expensive fiber...they pass through, undigested.

Default Re: How to eat flaxseeds...

With pre-ground flax, which I just bought, does it taste good sprinkled on top of stir-fries and stuff? Does anyone have any links on baking with it?