Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Vegan Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

Default Re: How to eat flaxseeds...

I find the oil more tolerable than the seeds. I absolutely HATE the texture of ground flax.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: Flax seeds / linseeds

I'm being using ground flax seeds froms bob mills. However, I was thinking about getting a coffee grinder to use with whole flax seeds.

It seems that there are 2 styles of grinders -- with a blade (cheaper) or a "burr" style (more expensive). Any recommendations on good grinders to look at for flax seeds? Would the cheaper blade grinder do the job on these tiny seeds?

VeganJohn

I recently bought a box of linseed from my local health store. I was told that they are 'the same thing' as flaxseeds. I take it I just use them like flax?

Here try this link. They are the same. I use a mortar on mine and throw them in any baking or cereal that I eat. I also mix them with water and use as an egg substiture where binding is the concern.

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/f/flax--23.html

VeganJohn

Excellent link, thanks!!

Jo

Question Linseed oil

Please, can anyone tell me, what is the recommended daily ammount of linseed oil to take? There is no indication on the bottle I bought.

Default Re: Linseed oil

I take a teaspoonful, having read somewhere that's the right amount - of course I can't remember where now!

Jo

Unhappy Re: Linseed oil

I shall take one teaspoon then, thank goodness it isn't more, it tastes DISGUSTING!

My bottle says 1-3 teaspoons a day. If you blend it with olive oil and other flavourings, it's not bad at all in a salad.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

If it tastes really bad it may be rancid. I was reading somewhere that shops often don't keep it properly, and certainly once you've got it home you need to keep it in the fridge.

On the other hand, it may just take you a while to get used to it! I am mostly having hemp oil instead at the moment as I think that tastes slightly more pleasant. Either way I usually put it on my toast and add Marmite-type yeast extract, then it's OK.

Seaside

Hi Jo, there is a thread on flax/linseed oil here, if you search. I know you can't post in it yet (unless you are not restricted to the not vegan section anymore) but you will find lots of info there.

Quote Jo
    I shall take one teaspoon then, thank goodness it isn't more, it tastes DISGUSTING!
    You can add it to your ketchup, it will be much easier to eat it. Also there dip, to do it mix linseed oil, one glove of garlik and balsamic vinegar.

VeganLiz

My nutritionist said I needed to increase my fatty acids so I have 1 dessertspoon everyday. i mix it in with my gluten free porridge, sesame seeds and cinnamon. Its not the greatest but the amount of poridge and t cinnamon hides the flavour! Good tip sprinkle on the cinnamon then add the oil as the cinnamon will absorb some...

tabitha

I mix a palmful each of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, hemp seeds and poppy seeds and grind them altogether and have 3 desertspoons on my porridge with banana and organic raisins. I hope that covers me for most things - omega oils, protein, calcium the lot.

I have one teaspoon a day over a salad. I really like the taste of it.

I have it in smoothies - hides it pretty well.

I think it doesn't taste all that bad when first opened, but it does develop a fishy taste after only a few days (this is kept refrigerated).

VeganJohn

I had my first experience of 'flaxing' tonight. I ground up about two teaspoons of linseed with a pestle and mortar, adding a few drops of water to make it into a paste. I spread it on a sandwich consisting of Redwood slices, tofutti cheese slices and a bit of ketchup. I couldn't really taste it.

Am I using it correctly to get the benefits from it?

I can see how it could be good as a binder in place of egg.

Seaside

VeganJohn, as long as you're not heating it what you are doing sounds fine!

Vegan Vixen

Default Re: Hi!

Hi, I'm new to the board also. Actually I was trying to get an answer to a mind boggleing guestion. Is there any difference between Flax Seed Oil and Omega 3 except for usually Omega 3 comes from fish?
    Last edited by flutterby; May 13th, 2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: post moved from a hello thread

Default Re: Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

Flax seed oil and fish are both sources of omega 3 oils but supposedly the body has to do extra work to convert the ones from flax oil into the form it needs. Some people are better able to do this than others and it appears to depend partly on how much omega 6 you have in your diet (too much omega 6 interferes with the conversion process).

Some people are interested in taking omega 3 oils from marine algae which is closer to the makeup of fish

Here's another article which may or may not have been posted already somewhere in this thread:

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2006...sh-in-the-sea/

Question Re: Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

When you grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder, doesn't the heat from the blades damage the oils? I suppose you could pulse it though.

Good sperm

Default Re: Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

I make a mega porridge for my post-run brekkie. To the cooked porridge I add Linusprout or Maca, laods of agave nectar and frozen raspberries and blueberries. The agave and fruit help with the odd taste of the Maca or Linusprout.