Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

Default Re: Linseed- whats it good for?

Am I correct in thinking that you should grind them up to get the most nutrients from them, and that if they are eaten whole they are only really good for fibre? Ive been grinding mine but i don't have an electric grinder so it's really bothersome doing it in a pestle and morter. If they are best eaten grinded I think i'll invest in an electric grinder.
    Yeah, I heard they just go straight through you without really doing anything unless they're ground first. They're a real pain to grind with a pestle & mortar like you say though - you can buy mini grinders that should do the job though if you don't want to buy a food processor or something.

You can buy 'Nutrasprout' which is sprouted and powdered flax, but I think it tastes bogging since it's flavoured. I'm going to try sprouting them myself in a jar as this is meant to at least triple their nutrient value.

I put a dessertspoonful of flaxseed oil (linseed) in the glass of vegies that I juice each day. As evilFB says, they can go right thru you unless ground up, and I'm not into grinding seeds every day when flaxseed oil is readily available in bottles. And I keep the bottles in the fridge.
    Eve

tails4wagging

Thanks guys, I think I will get the oil.

Eve what veggies and what fruit for the blender??. I have blended fruit but never veg,?

Another question: I've been putting flax oil in my dough before baking it into bread. Does its goodness survive being cooked??

Quote tails4wagging
    Thanks guys, I think I will get the oil.

Eve what veggies and what fruit for the blender??. I have blended fruit but never veg,?

here are some ideas for you tails

Melina

Well I learned that flax oil should not be heated terrace, that you should only use it on cold foods, or in cold juice, etc, because the heat will destroy it's goodness. I use a teaspoon every morning in my bran cereal with soy milk, for my omega 3's, and my 16 month old daughter gets it in her calcium-fortified orange juice.

Thanks for that Melina.

I guess I'll have to find another way of sneaking it into my childrens' diet...orange juice anyone?!

tails4wagging

Thanks for the ideas folks,. I have a juicer, but havent used it much.

I will get the flaxseed oil next time.

Yeah, I use flaxseed oil too, and slip it into smoothies for the kids. Keep the oil in the fridge, though.

I like flaxseed tortilla chips, too. Like to use it with salsa, guacamole, or hummus.

Seaside

If your flaxseed/linseed oil goes past its sell-by date, use it on your furniture!

Quote tails4wagging
    And I never blend fruit - preferring to eat it as is. The vegies I blend each day comprises a couple of sticks of celery, a couple of carrots, and a small beetroot. Then before taking the delicious drink, I add the flaxseed oil. Occasionally if I'm out of beetroot, I might blend an apple despite what I said at first! If out of carrots, I blend in a piece of sweet potato. I like the raw veges in liquid form, and as I've said before, the idea of chomping away on raw beet, celery, and carrot, gives me an aching jaw - and that's just the thought of it!

terrace max asks if its goodness survives being cooked. Well I doubt if the efa would survive heat, but certainly having a few extra grains in the bread should be ok for chewing on!
    Eve

tails4wagging

Thanks Eve, I will try that mix of veggies. I am growing my own beetroot and carrots. So that will have a better taste!

Geoff

Quote Seaside
    If your flaxseed/linseed oil goes past its sell-by date, use it on your furniture!
    The linseed oil that you get from the hardware is SO different from the flax oil you get for human consumption. I suppose it's just a lot less refined. I use it on my tool handles (axes, spades etc) to protect them when they're left out in the rain.

I stir flax oil in my hot oatmeal. is that bad? I don't cook it.

Seaside

Default Re: Linseed – whats it good for?

Posted by Geoff:
    The linseed oil that you get from the hardware is SO different from the flax oil you get for human consumption. I suppose it's just a lot less refined. I use it on my tool handles (axes, spades etc) to protect them when they're left out in the rain.
    Hardware store linseed oil is boiled, and leaves a resilient coating when rubbed into wood. Flax oil won't protect wood if its left out in the rain, but it works well on furniture, smells nice, and I hate to throw it out if I don't use it all before it expires.

Quote Banana
    ]I stir flax oil in my hot oatmeal. is that bad? I don't cook it.
    It's up to you, Banana, but since flax oil loses its potency when heated, is it wise to stir it into your hot oatmeal?
    Eve

Geoff

Default Re: Linseed – whats it good for?

Askdrsears.com says that oil should be pressed at below 110 deg but doesn't say if that's C or F. Presumably, as it's an Ameican site and they don't know of other systems, it would be F! (Which equates to around 43C (What we call 'room temperature' in Qld!))

Seaside

Default Re: Flax seeds / linseeds

Posted by Geoff:
    Askdrsears.com says that oil should be pressed at below 110 deg....(Which equates to around 43C (What we call 'room temperature' in Qld!))
    Ugh! No wonder you treadmill in your birthday suit!

Default Flax Seed Oil

What do I do with Flax Seed Oil? I recently picked up a sample at a health food store, and am not quite sure how to use it. Do I put it in something? Use it straight out of the bottle? Since it's a sample bottle, there's no directions on it--how do I store it? Does it need refridgerated?

Default Re: Flax Seed Oil

I keep my flaxseed oil in the fridge. Normally, we pour a little oil on our veggies just before serving. I've heard it isn't good to actually cook with it as it loses it's value. I think you can add it to just about anything without changing the taste (it is more of a health thing, I guess). We normally don't buy it, my hubby's mom gave us a bottle.

ConsciousCuisine

Keep it cold, in the refrigerator. Do *not* heat it. Use it as salad dressing, put it in smoothies, make pesto out of it, do what ya like as long as it's not heated!

Yeah, welcome to flaxseed oil - I use it lots, it's soooooooo good for you, I feel great! Pricey though like all our special food!!!

Default Does flax oil taste okay?

I know there are other threads talking about flax oil and flax seeds, but this thread isn't asking about nutrition, it's asking about TASTE.

Does flax oil taste okay? Or is it vile?

I bought flax seeds a few months ago, I have only used maybe 1/4 of the package (I keep it in the freezer and the package says it won't expire until September). I chose the seeds over the oil, because I thought it would be easier to consume and it was also much much cheaper than the oil.

Boy, was I wrong. I can't stand the seeds. I can't stand the texture of ground flax. I can't stand the taste. I find it soooo hard to consume. I'm lucky if I get a tablespoon or two of the ground seeds a week! It's gross in oatmeal, turns it all gelatinous. And I never bake, so using it as an egg replacer isn't something I'm doing. I can only tolerate it in a smoothie but it's a nuisance to grind up the seeds, to pre-freeze the berries or ice cubes, blah blah blah....especially if I want a quick breakfast.

I'm thinking that I might have to get the oil. I'm thinking of using it in my salads instead of olive oil, drizzling it over my steamed veggies, and maybe pour it on other foods. Will it taste okay?

cross barer

Default Re: Flax oil

I put the seeds in after my porrige (oatmeal) is cooked so they don't get cooked themselves and that may be why I haven't experienced what you described. The oil is very expensive and shouldn't be heated, you only need one tablespoon per day so you could actually mix it with other oil for a salad dressing.

What about whole or cracked seeds?

I make flapjacks with flax seeds in, and haven't noticed them. I can mainly only taste the sunflower ones I stick in too.

I've never tasted seeds, and prefer to put a dessertspoonful of flax oil into a glass of vegetable juice, and there is no taste from the flax oil. When I have a bowl of mixed fresh fruit for breakfast, I put a dessertspoonful of LSA, also flax oil. and a slurp of soymilk. (LSA = ground Linseed (flaxseed), Sunflower seeds, and Almonds).
    Eve

I must say that flaxseed oil is VILE! I sprinkle ground flaxseeds (that are kept in the fridge) on my oatmeal. That way it doesn't go gluggy like psyllium husks.

FR

Default Re: Does flax oil taste okay?

I think it tastes good. Whether it is used as a salad oil, taking a straight tablespoon sized shot of it, or using it in a smoothie. Then again, I like the taste of the actual seeds, too.

If you are looking to obatin omega 3's, and if you like soymilk/aren't allergic to it, try Silk's enhanced.

I can't get Silk Enhanced where I live.

I do like these hemp waffles, and they contain omega 3.

I think I am going to get the oil.

I love the taste of flaxseed oil. I think it tastes better than olive oil standing alone. I probably eat too much of it. One of my favorite snacks is flaxseed oil and nutritional yeast on toast. I'll also eat flaxseed oil with avocadoes and toast. I think it has an ever-so-slight "fishy" taste which you may or may not like. I love the taste of the ocean and regularly eat sea vegetables for the taste. However, the "fishy" taste might be in my imagination and you may not taste it.

No, it is fishy - overly fishy in fact. That is precisely why I hate it

It does not come from fish or any association with fish at all. Like John, I also sometimes drizzle some flaxseed oil on toast, and add nutritional yeast. Yum Try it for yourself tigerlily.
    Eve

FR

Quote John
    One of my favorite snacks is flaxseed oil and nutritional yeast on toast. I'll also eat flaxseed oil with avocadoes and toast.
    That sounds yummy!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote eve
    Like John, I also sometimes drizzle some flaxseed oil on toast, and add nutritional yeast. Yum Try it for yourself tigerlily.
    I am another who does this (with avocado too). I really prefer the "Spectrum" brand organic flax oils (of every variety) to any other. Barlean's is very popular but always tastes bitter and almost rancid to me every time, but the Spectrum oils taste great! We lightly steam veggies (especially broccoli or greens), press fresh garlic over it, squeeze a lemon on, sprinkle nutritional yeast and pour on the flax oil. It is so good!

FR

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I am another who does this (with avocado too). I really prefer the "Spectrum" brand organic flax oils (of every variety) to any other. Barlean's is very popular but always tastes bitter and almost rancid to me every time, but the Spectrum oils taste great! We lightly steam veggies (especially broccoli or greens), press fresh garlic over it, squeeze a lemon on, sprinkle nutritional yeast and pour on the flax oil. It is so good!
    I swear, if I lived near your happy vegan family, I'd be knocking on your door daily for some good eats.

Funny, I like Barleans better than Spectrum because to me, Barleans tastes fresher and somewhat sweeter. Go figure.

Default Flax Seed Oil

One of my friends said that I need to be consuming Flax seed oil for omega 3 fatty acids. I've never heard of this stuff. What do I put it in? Do I just use it as an oil substitute? How much of it do I need? Does it taste good?
    A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs.
    - Proverbs 12:10

I just put a tsp on my toast in the morning, but you can have it in salad or on top of other dishes - just as long as it doesn't get too hot which destroys the valuable oils.

I can't say it tastes that good but it's not too bad when it's fresh (and kept in the fridge). Hemp oil, which is also good for omega 3s tastes better to me, if you can get that.

cross barer

Quote just_a_grrrl
    One of my friends said that I need to be consuming Flax seed oil for omega 3 fatty acids. I've never heard of this stuff. What do I put it in? Do I just use it as an oil substitute? How much of it do I need? Does it taste good?
    Here are some threads discussing omega three:

omega 3 fatty acids in food

does flax oil taste ok

hempseed oil

flax seeds/linseed

These should outline what you can (and shouldn't) do with flax seed products, as well as other vegan omega three sources

Thanks guys.

That's weird. Someone told me that omega 3 could only be found in fish, eggs, and flaxseed oil. But those threads say otherwise, so I guess I don't have to be that concerned about getting enough since it can be found in many different things.
    A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs.
    - Proverbs 12:10

Default Re: Flax seeds / linseeds

Yes, there are plenty of foods that contain omega 3 oils but according to some people at least your body can only process the EFAs correctly if you have the right balance between omega 3 and omega 6 oils (see this article for example: http://www.vegansociety.com/articles/aut01recipe.htm).

Vegans tend to get plenty of omega 6 and most foods with omega 3 also contribute omega 6 as well, so it's supposedly worth having flax oil/seeds to rectify the balance. Worth reading up a bit about it to make up your mind.

Default Flax Seed oil? How much calories, protein??

I’m trying to build the B12 stores in my body so I take about 200mcg of B12 a day, by taking two 100mcg pieces spaced 6 hours apart. I’m also taking the Udo’s blend though since reading a few posts on this site I’m now getting the notion that might be better to just take Flax seed. How do I really know whether I should be taking Udo’s Blend or Flax Seed oil, based on the foods I eat?

Also, I usually get about 700 calories from my first meal – and I average about 1700 calories a day and 75 grams of protein a day. For some reason I seem to have more energy after 8 o’clock and less energy in the morning and early afternoon. It would seem a little strange to me since I get more calories in the morning in proportion to the rest of an average day. Could someone point me in the direction of good web site or something based on calorie and protein intake (a chart or something based on suggested amounts) and how calories are burned? Something of that nature.

Thanx.

Default Re: Flax Seed oil? How much calories, protein??

Welcome to the forum, Etherweb!

First, I am not a nutritionist and do not really like using the internet for most of my nutritional information. I believe that well-researched books written by nutritionists are best. That said, there are numerous web sites that you can google as well as I.

I do highly recommend the book "Becoming Vegan" by nutritionists Brenda Davis, R..D. & Vesanto Melina, M.S., R.D. They suggest 0.9 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. I read in another post that you are 140 pounds (~ 64 kg) so that would be 57 grams of protein per day. How many calories per day depends on your metabolism (very individual, related to your muscle mass, age, etc) and activity level. And energy levels don't always have to do with food and calorie intake. There are many factors which can affect your energy levels, too complicated to get into with charts on the internet (in my opinion).

I don't know what Udo's blend is and don't see any harm in adding flax seed to anyone's diet. Keep in mind that the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 (optimum being no more than 4:1) is what is important. So knowing your sources of omega 6 is equally important as knowing your omega 3's. The USDA is probably going to come out with guidelines concerning this in the future. If you are worried about your DHA intake then I would suggest vegan DHA capsules, especially if you do not metabolize omega 3 sufficiently.

Good luck with your search for information!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Default Re: Flax Seed oil? How much calories, protein??

flax seed oil is higher in omega 3's and lower in omega 6's. if you eat alot of food rich in omega 6 fatty acids and less in omega 3's than flax seed oil is a good option.

heres a good link about omega 3's and has a list of foods rich in this fatty acid:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=84

heres a good link about omega 6 fatty acids:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...5,1037,00.html

udo's oil is a more complete balanced form of the essential fatty acids, ensuring youre getting enough of both. (getting too much of a good thing is never a good thing in the long run!)

long term consumption of omega 3 fatty acids such as flax seed oil can actually harm you rather than do you good, as you may become deficient in omega 6 fatty acids. ive read this in a few sources but i apologize as i dont have the links anymore but i will try to find them. i think the best thing to remember is to just make sure youre getting enough of each fatty acid and youll be fine.

heres a good link about flax seeds:

http://waltonfeed.com/self/flax.html

i personally take hemp oil everyday as its a balanced ratio of omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids and this way i am sure im getting enough of both.

here is a thread about omega 3 fatty acids that may be of interest to you:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...=flax+seed+oil

heres a good link about omega 3's (though not entirely vegan)

http://www.answers.com/topic/omega-3-fatty-acid

regarding calories, sometimes its better to eat less in the morning. maybe 700 calories is too much for you, and causes you to feel rather 'sluggish' for the rest of the day. have you tried eating lighter in the morning? during the morning your body is suddenly coming off of a fast from your sleep, so eating 700 calories might be shocking your system and not doing it any justice. it also could have something to do with what youre eating in the morning. if its proccessed grains its probably not the best thing for you. protein is a great thing to get alot of in the morning, so a smoothie with some dessert tofu may be a nice option. maybe try eating lighter in the morning, and see how you feel? (ofcourse remember to snack mid morning, before lunchtime, keeping your energy up all day!)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Re: hi, protein hair questions

I have an omega supplement and it is rank. It is making me sick.

My hair and skin are not falling out though or looking dry hmmm...
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I have this oil with omega 3, 6 and 9 in and you take it off a spoon. It is horrible...tastes like fish to me even if it is vegan. *yuck*

http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/...onal_oils.html

yucks
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote xwitchymagicx
    I have this oil with omega 3, 6 and 9 in and you take it off a spoon. It is horrible...tastes like fish to me even if it is vegan. *yuck*
    nah, as someone who was force fed cod liver oil as a kid, granovita omega oil is nothing! It tastes a lot like extra virgin oilive oil, use it in salad dressings if you don't like it neat.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I have to agree with sarah, it is nasty stuff. The best way to get it down for me is to get my breakfast ready, get a spoonful of flaxseed oil, swollow is quickly without breathing out, grab a spoonful of my breakfast and chew it quickly and swollow arrhh and breath

Quote puffin
    I have to agree with sarah, it is nasty stuff. The best way to get it down for me is to get my breakfast ready, get a spoonful of flaxseed oil, swollow is quickly without breathing out, grab a spoonful of my breakfast and chew it quickly and swollow arrhh and breath
    maybe i'm just hardcore then? For the past month I've been having 3 spoonfuls of this stuff each night before bed. Tastes fine to me
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    maybe i'm just hardcore then? For the past month I've been having 3 spoonfuls of this stuff each night before bed. Tastes fine to me
    Wow that is hardcore to the max