Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

Default Vegan Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

the other day one of my vegan friends mentioned flax seed. so i got some and it's really good. i've been putting it in my oatmeal and in steamed veggies concoctions and just about everything i can. is this okay? as far as i know it is good for u but should i not eat too much of it for any reason? thanks for any info

I love flax seeds! Gotta love the vegie source of omega-3's. I read something somewhere about something in flax seeds interfering with the absorption of certain minreals/or vitamins. But that's more in excess. A little daily flax or 'flaxing' a few times a week is good for you. I think it's calcium... but no quotes on that. If I run across the info. I'll post it if someone else doesn't. Pretty much overdoing it is not good... but that's the case w just about everything. I love sprinkling the seeds on cereal... and I don't currently use the oil but I've had it in sandwiches and it's so so good too.

I just have a spoonfull of flax seed oil in a glass of vege juice each day. I consider that to be sufficient omega-3.

ConsciousCuisine

It is good to soak the seeds and add them to baked goods, oatmeal, stews and more. As an egg replacer, grind the seeds in a coffee grinder and add a bit of liquid. Well, here...check this out:

http://www.vegfamily.com/dietician/0604a.htm

Thanks for the article ConsciouCuisine, I sprinkle Granovita NUTRASprout Sprouted Flax Powder, a 100% sprouted golden flaxseed product.

I believe that if you consume the seeds (as opposed to the oil) it's meant to be better to grind them first as otherwise they tend to pass through the system undigested (which may be good for the digestion but means you don't get the benefit of the omega 3 oils within)

From the worlds healthiest foods website, lots of info on flax. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=81
    Like harpy said, it says "Grind flaxseeds in a coffee or seed grinder in order to enhance their digestibility and therefore their nutritional value. If adding ground flaxseeds to a cooked cereal or grain dish, do so at the end of cooking since the soluble fiber in the flax seeds can thicken liquids if left too long."

interesting website, thanks gert. shame it's not totally vegan though, they're still pushing the myth that fish is healthy i see

Thank you for the url gertvegan - that's quite a hefty website so I'll take it in stages to read through.

my best friend and i are addicted to the stuff, barlean's forti-flax to be exact. we eat so much of it and i worry sometimes we go overboard, but it has really made a huge difference in the way we feel. it suggests 2-4 tablespoons a day, and we eat the max.

LOVE it.

Default Flax Seeds vs. Vegetarian DHA Supplements

I've heard all the advice lately about eating flax seed to obtain ALA, which the body can convert to DHA. I've also read information from other sources asserting that the conversion of ALA to DHA/EPA is a very inefficient process.

My question is this: why not just take a vegetarian DHA supplement instead of eating flax seeds? Wouldn't this be a more direct way of getting one's omega-3 essential fatty acids?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

As you noted we need ALA, EPA i DHA. It would make no sense to eat DHA and not to eat ALA since ALA is essential. When you eat ALA i DHA, EPA is no longer a problem.

Besides, we need to eat fats and flaxseed is one of the best options out there.

Hi Mike, thanks for the input. I think I will use a DHA supplement and make occasional use of ground flaxseeds. Hopefully that way I'll have my bases covered.

Optimum Vegetarian Nutrition: Surprising New Research on Omega 3's and B12 from the veganmd. An interesting piece to listen to, flax seeds are discused. Click here.

if i dont add it over my cereal in the morning i just sprinkle it into curries, chillies, soup, cakes, pizza dough, gravy, pasta sauces...hehe no one knows!

I always grind my flaxseeds as soon as I get them home from the store, then I keep them in the freezer, so they won't go rancid. I usually add a tablespoon to my oatmeal in the morning. I love the flax oil, but it's a lot more expensive than the seeds. I, too, have read that whole flax seeds pass right through your system--they should be ground first. Love them omega 3's!

I don't understand how seeds can pass through undigested if one chews them up beforehand?

Can someone kindly explain?

Post Can flax seed harden in your colon?

Hello all!

Does anyone know if flaxseed can harden in your colon and block the absorption of food? I started taking flaxseed about a month ago. It was working great at first. I think it THOROUGHLY cleaned my colon out and I was feeling great! My skin was beautiful and my psoriasis was gone. Then all of a sudden I noticed that my bowel movements kind of went back to happening less frequently and I started feeling so bloated. Then my psoriasis slowly started coming back.

What could that be? I was initially taking about 2 tablespoons of flaxseed in a glass of orange juice every morning. Now I take it sometimes with soy milk instead.

Please excuse me if I put this in the wrong area. I'm new here and I searched for the best place to put this topic but couldn't seem to find a better place.

Christi

Hi Christi, Welcome to the forum!

What are your eating habits? Has your diet changed in any way?

I eat mainly whole foods. I rarely eat processed foods. That is harder to digest than whole foods. I am regular. I have bowels movements at least 3 times daily.

Are you staying hydrated? Food items that contain caffeine can make you feel more dehydrated. It is important to stay hydrated since flax seed do expand when they are absorbed.

IHTH!

PinkFluffyCloud

Hi, Christi!
    I wonder if the fruit juice was helping the flaxseed pass through, and with the Soya milk it is kind of compacting, instead??

you are supposed to drink at least a quarter of a pint of water for every 2 spoon fulls of flax seed.. i think it was 2 spoonfulls, you might want to check
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

MzNatural, I think you may have hit the nail on the head suggesting that it might be dehydration. Just yesterday I started drinking LOTS more water and it seems to be getting a little better.

As for my diet, I'm ashamed to say what my diet routinely consists of, it would be like profanity to your ears. But let's just say I'm seriously making changes. I'll be 40 years old this year and I'm determined to be one of the hottest 40 year-olds around!

Christi

Well, actually it started compacting with the juice which is why I switched to soy. I'm drinking lots more water though so I'm really hoping that this will help. The bloat that I had was making me feel like I was constantly in PMS mode!

Yep! I think water seems to be the key here. I'm starting to drink much more of it. I've always had some digestive problems--all the more reason why I should have a better diet. Alas, some folks just have to learn the hard way.

Quote martinired
    Yep! I think water seems to be the key here. I'm starting to drink much more of it. I've always had some digestive problems--all the more reason why I should have a better diet. Alas, some folks just have to learn the hard way.
    So do I! I have to make sure I drink/eat properly otherwise there will be problems.
    I eat around 2 tablespoons of flax seed daily. I have a grinder, so grind them on the spot. At times I sprinkle it over my food. Normally I just take it by the spoonful followed by water.

I use two large spoonfuls every morning. I mix it with my Mueslix cereal, which is sufficient in fiber and grain so the flax meal is going to get well digested along with the cereal. I just put a lot of soy milk on it about an hour before I eat it. At work I drink water all day long.
    I am a tangerine ;)

I think I'll have to invest in a grinder also. I've seen them for about 10 bucks. Right now, I'm using the milled flax seed and I know it's not as fresh as the whole seed.

Happy flaxing!

Mmmmm... Mueslix. That's one I haven't tried yet. I'm still stuck on Grapenuts.

glad u guys seem to have figured that one out makes sense

i eat them whole, mixed with oatmeal and other nuts and seeds. i make a point to chew as much as i have the patience for. hope this is okay for my digestive system and all, eating some intact.

Quote 8 winks
    glad u guys seem to have figured that one out makes sense

i eat them whole, mixed with oatmeal and other nuts and seeds. i make a point to chew as much as i have the patience for. hope this is okay for my digestive system and all, eating some intact.

I don't think there's anything wrong with eating some whole. It's just that when you eat them whole, you get the effect of the bulk/fiber but you don't get any of the nutrients inside (e.g. the oils) Flax seeds are a little tricky to chew also because as soon as they hit moisture they start to get slippery so they slide between your teeth and it's harder to chomp down on them.

Christi

I put a load in a liquidiser and then keep it in the fridge. I have even added it to curries to thicken the source.

Default TOO MUCH flax seeds???

when people talk about adding flax seeds to their meals...its always like 1 or 2 tbsp. When I add milled flax seeds...its always two huge heaping spoonfuls in the mornng with cereal...and two huuuuuge heaping spoonfuls in my dessert....ususally with a nut butter or some soy frozen dessert....or i eat it like oatmeal even..lots of it. is this too much?? I noticed that my tummy hurts sometimes a little while after.....also.....could it affect the absortion of the pill possibly????

Sarah

Yes, when I researching flax seeds, that topic came up. I don't remember what it said or the exact website, but you can have too much flax.

And personally, I don't like the taste at all. I can only have like half a tablespoon at most on something. I really don't like flax.

also, I buy the already milled flax seeds....like bobs red mill...in the baking aisle usually....is this pointless??? I heard the best is to buy it cold milled...or whole....so i can grind it as I need it.

I've heard it's best to buy them whole and grind them as needed but pre-ground is fine, too, I believe. But weather whole or pre-ground, they should be stored either in the freezer or the refridgerator so they don't go rancid.

i believe you need to drink plenty of liquid with flax seeds. there's a thread about it here

oh, Kiva Dancer, my packet of ground flaxseed says it mustn't be put in the fridge or freezer
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Odd. I've read it should be stored cold to stop it going bad.

Oii, colour me confused, then. *shrugging*

"you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Excellent link, tina. Thanks! *bookmarks that page*

Default Re: Vegan meal ideas?

Today, I made a smoothie with flaxseeds (finely pre-sliced from a package), vanilla soy milk, and a banana. It had a rich nutty taste, real yummy! I finally found a way to use the flaxseeds and make it taste good. I'll be getting lots of omega-3 from now on.
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 6th, 2005 at 09:19 AM. Reason: The following few posts was from another thread...
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Default Re: Vegan meal ideas?

...On the package it says that sliced flaxseeds are healthier than crushed ones because the nutrients are better preserved. Don't ask me how they slice those little things What about whole flaxseeds then, is there any nutritional value in them at all?

Seaside

Default Re: Flax seeds

Try soaking whole flaxseeds in water and see what happens. They get coated with a very thick gel, which is what makes whole flaxseeds an excellent laxative! The seeds will pass through undigested, and you will get no Omega 3 oils from them. I have seen breakfast cereal mixes with whole flaxseeds in them, but there is really no point in including them.

I have looked through this thread, but I can't click on any of the links, because my computer is acting funny, so if this is a repetition, sorry, but if anybody wants the Omega 3 benefits of any food which contains them,

DO NOT COOK THE FOOD!

Omega 3 oils are very heat sensitive, which is why the oil must be kept refrigerated, the already ground seed must be refrigerated, and flax oil must never be used in cooking. It's not so much a matter of rancidity as it is that Omega 3's are not heat stable. You won't be harmed by heating them, as you would by consuming a rancid oil, they just won't do you any good. If you want to buy preground seeds, don't buy them unless they are in the refrigerated section of your market. If the package says do not freeze or refrigerate, don't buy the product! It is best to buy whole seed and grind it yourself, or use the oil. They are best added to salads or smoothies, not to hot dishes.

Flax oil past its consume-by date is an excellent furniture oil!

...yeah, and if you add a few drops of lemon essential oil to that, you have a fresh scented furniture oil.

On the package of my flaxseeds it says 'refrigerate after opening', and I bought it non-refrigerated...do you think it's still good?

Seaside

Look on the package for a sell-by date. If it hasn't expired, the seeds are probably still good. I usually refrigerate my seeds as soon as I bring them home.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

tails4wagging

Default Linseed – whats it good for?

Just started taking it as a seed, spread over my cereal. Nice taste apart from them getting stuck in my teeth!!!!.
    Last edited by Korn; May 21st, 2005 at 07:07 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Linseed- whats it good for?

It is great coz it has lots of EFAs and cholestrol lowering properties. Good for bowel health too

tails4wagging

Thanks, Its dear though, one box cost me £2.99!!

Am I correct in thinking that you should grind them up to get the most nutrients from them, and that if they are eaten whole they are only really good for fibre? Ive been grinding mine but i don't have an electric grinder so it's really bothersome doing it in a pestle and morter. If they are best eaten grinded I think i'll invest in an electric grinder.

I use them every morning in my fruit smoothie