Thread: "Vitamin B12: Our Slim Agent"

Default "Vitamin B12: Our Slim Agent"

Vitamin B12: Our Slim Agent

This article isn't from a scientific site, and certainly not written from a vegan perspective, but mentions one of the side effects B12 deficiency can have.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: "Vitamin B12: Our Slim Agent"

I'm not convinced.

If you do eat junk food it might lead to Vitamin B12 deficiency, and it might (most likely) also lead to obesity.
    But does this mean that consuming lots of Vitamin B12 makes you slim?

I'd like to see some hint of medical proof for that....

Best regards,
    Andy

Weight is affected by numerous factors. It is difficult to pinpoint the factors that lead to weight gain and obesity. I know of people who can't eat a vegetable to save their life; they feed on hot Cheetos, steak and coke and they are stick thin. I also know people who eat very light and aren't as thin. I must say I consume B12 supplements and nutritional yeast along with other foods containing B12 and look at me But then again, my idea of junk food is a fat-free, sugar-free whole wheat carrot cake with fresh ingredients and no frosting...and I am active. Again, too many factors that influence weight.

Keep warm
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

I think weight has a lot to do with metabolism. I have always been slim even though I do eat cake and sweets a little more than I should.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

^ The more people weigh, the faster their metabolism will be.

I saw a good program a while back where they monitored the diets of a fat person who thought they didn't eat much and had a slow metabolism and a thin person who thought they ate loads and had a fast metabolism.

Turned out of course that the overweight person was massively underestimating the amount they were eating and the thin person was massively overestimating.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

So, it's the other way round then? You would think having a fast metabolism would mean you would burn off calories quicker. That's really strange.
    Maybe I do over-estimate how much I eat, I do know though that I eat a lot of sweet things, which are notorious for putting on weight.
    About the B12 thing helping to burn fat. Going on personal experience, I have been B12 deficient in the past and have now got my levels up to normal by eating more foods that contain B12 but my weight has stayed the same throughout all this.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

You do burn off more calories with a fast metabolism, if you think about it, the larger you are the more energy your body will use just to keep itself alive because there will be more body that needs energy to live. Your heart will have to push blood around more body, your lungs will need oxygen for more body, you'll use more energy moving around because of the extra weight etc... http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatmen...al_myths.shtml

I think with regards to B12, I'm with Andy_T, I'm not convinced either. If there is a link then I'm thinking it's very tenuous.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I'm with you on that one. The more mass a person has (be it weight, muscle or height) more calories are required to maintain weight because more calories are burned to keep you alive and functioning. After a person has lost weight or muscle mass, calorie requirement usually drops as well; less calories are required to maintain weight and keep you alive. My caloric requirement was much higher when I was a little bigger...now it's much lower. My partner is about an inch shorter than I, but his calorie requirement is MUCH higher than mine due to muscle mass and what not. I think it's pretty fascinating stuff.

The B12 is probably one factor out of so many that may contribute to metabolism (but not directly responsible for weight loss or increase in BMR.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Vitamin B12 either strastically increases lipolysis or it could be a placebo effect.