Thread: Withdrawal symptoms from not drinking milk?

Princess

Default Withdrawal symptoms from not drinking milk?

So I was just wondering if when any of you decided to become vegan, you felt almost like withdrawal symptoms from not drinking milk. Like I am lightheaded and dizzy. Thank you for the help all <3

Default Re: Withdrawal symptoms from not drinking milk?

Why do you think it's milk specifically? Well, with all the hormones and crap I guess you could have some like of chemical withdrawal, but I've never heard of it.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I think I have heard of it connection with cheese (there's some substance in that, is it the casein? that some people think could be mildly addictive).

Princess, are you sure that you haven't inadvertently cut back on your calorie intake? That is a more common cause of lightheadedness and dizziness.

I've never heard of that either. The only effect I experienced when I stopped consuming milk was my stomach ulcer healed up. I had chronic indigestion and stomach trouble for years and then within a few weeks of being vegan that all went away. As I used to drink milk, thinking it was helping my stomach problem I now feel it was infact the cause of my problems.
    Eat a balanced vegan diet and if the lightheadedness continues maybe you should see your doctor.
    Let us know how you get on won't you?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I had about a week of mucus leaving my system….every time I give up dairy my body was so happy about it and after the week I felt lighter and no mucus. I have a regular dizzy problem myself and have been through countless tests over the last few years with no cause found but I am finding being vegan it happens less now.
    Lack of calories or just not having a balanced diet could be the culprit. I know how awful it feels so hope its better soon.
    Note: If you do go to a doctor I would double check on any medicine prescribed for dizziness, I was given one and it wasted my money and made my stomach feel horrible and in the end nothing was resolved.
    LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

since giving up milk my asthma is infinitely better. i try to make my dad give it up because his asthma is terrible, but he just won't. so frustrating but at least mine is a lot better!

johnryan

There is a lot of sugar in milk, your body could be giving you the sugar withdrawl headaches sometimes associated when someone quits coffee or soda. Sometimes those headaches can lead to nauseau.

I would expect any type of withdrawl sypmtoms with a major diet change. They could even be psychologicaly based symptoms.

Have you continued the dairy free diet? Has it changed?

I was a lifetime milk drinker and cheese eater and I agree with about all of the posts so far. I suffered from morning and post-meal sinus drip, which has considerebly weakened since I eliminated dairy. Logically it just didn't make sense to me that we should be drinking cow milk.