Thread: What's your favorite bread?

mythil

Default What's your favorite bread?

For me I've only ever found two types of vegan bread, one is the Vogal Soya bread and one is Waitrose brand sour bread. Both are quite nice but Vogal is more sandwich sized which is handy. I also use Rhye bread but only for peanut butter sarnies.

Default Re: What's your favorite bread?

Granary bread.

You're in the UK right? How have you only found two types of vegan bread? Most is, Hovis even marks their breads as vegan.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

mythil

Mostly because I shop at Waitrose and H&B and this is a small town/city with very little in it. Luckily I have a shop that sells seasonal fruit and veg right from a local farm. However, I went through some of the bread at Tesco but didn't want to read every single packet so I gave up and went to Waitrose where they section off their bread and have a "speciality corner". Sadly they don't have much there. About 3/4 types

It's a bit of a pain but once you've checked the ingredients you don't usually need to check again, bread recipes don't tend to change. Most UK bread is vegan, check out the Tesco vegan list. Only thing that usually stops me buying bread is l-cysteine which they often put in tortilla wraps.

mythil

What's that?

Burgen Buckwheat & Poppyseed Loaf (with vit D) and Burgen Soya & Linseed are 2 of my favourites.

Also the New York Bakery bagels are all labelled as vegan.

Almost all Kingsmill bread is vegan, this is from their website:

Are Kingsmill products suitable for vegetarians?

The only bread not suitable for vegetarians or vegans is Kingsmill 50/50 with Omega 3 because the omega 3 is sourced from fish oil (the most effective form).All of our other breads are made only with vegetable fats and the emulsifiers used (E471, E472e) are sourced from vegetable oils. Any tin grease used is also made from vegetable oils, and all enzymes are suitable for vegetarians.There have been some reports that bread can be made with animal based enzymes but we would like to assure you that we do not use any animal enzymes in our Kingsmill products.We thoroughly check all of our ingredients including enzymes, to ensure that they are vegetarian. The only product that we produce that is not suitable for vegetarians has omega 3 derived from fish and is clearly labelled as 'not suitable for vegetarians'.

This is a list (from a little while ago) listing Warburtons products that do not contain milk or any any animal ingredients, but are made in a bakery where milk/eggs are used:
    Medium White
    Toastie White
    Our Thickest Slice White
    Soft White Farmhouse
    Seeded Batch
    Wholemeal Medium
    Stoneground Wholemeal Batch
    Brown Farmhouse

Rolls
    4 Sandwich Roll
    4 Large Sandwich Rolls
    4 Fruity Teacakes
    6 Wholemeal Rolls
    6 Sliced Sandwich Rolls
    4 Oven Bottom Muffins
    12 Sliced Fruity Teacakes
    12 Sliced Sandwich Rolls
    12 Large Sandwich Rolls
    3 Seeded Sandwich Rolls
    3 Wholemeal Soft Sandwich Rolls
    6 White Lunch Rolls
    6 Wholemeal Lunch Rolls
    6 Grains & Seeds Lunch Rolls

Fruit Breads
    Fruit Loaf with Orange
    Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon

Medium White
    Toastie White
    Soft White Farmhouse
    Danish White
    Wholemeal Medium
    Half Loaf Stoneground Wholemeal Batch
    Crusty
    Seeded Batch

Weight Watchers
    WW White Danish
    WW Brown Danish
    WW Wholemeal Thick
    WW Malted Danish
    WW Thick White

Occasions
    6 Crumpets
    6 Round Potato Cakes
    4 Toasting Muffins

Wraps

Thins

600g

All in One
    Wholegrain Goodness
    Tasty White
    Tasty Grains & Seeds
    Unsliced Tiger White
    Unsliced Tiger Brown

Quote mythil View Post
    What's that?
    I think it's a "flour improver". Only it can be made from human hair or bird feathers.

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    Granary bread.
    I love it but my teeth/fillings don't, so I've had to cut it out.

Leedsveg

If your Waitrose sells Village Bakery breads I think a number of them are vegan, e.g. this one: http://www.village-bakery.com/index....mart&Itemid=45

Waitrose also has a list telling you which of its own brand products are vegan. I thought someone had posted it on here but I can't see it so I've just asked them to send me one and will try and post it on here once I get it. You could always ask them too - see this page http://www.waitrose.com/home/inspira...gan_diets.html (near the bottom)

Do you have a Co-op where you are? A lot of their baked goods are vegan and they do a list too I think.

mythil

I have a co-op but it doesn't sell much other than drinks, chocoalte and cigarettes. My local Waitrose is a bit small and they don't have much, in fact their bread section is tiny. They do section off their "speciality" bread but only 2/3 of these are Vegan. On the upside, the Vogals soya and seed bread is really nice