Thread: Kombucha and Probiotics

Default Kombucha and Probiotics

Hello everyone,

I have been a pescetarian for the last two years, and have recently made the switch to a vegetarian diet. I still feel like my diet does not match my values though, and I am planning on transitioning to a strict vegan diet. Now that I'm making the switch, I have a ton of questions about a lot of little things that are only significant from a vegan perspective. One of the first that occurred to me is whether taking probiotics, or drinking something containing them, such as kombucha, might be inconsistent with a vegan diet. For those unfamiliar with the term, probiotics refer to bacteria cultures that naturally exist in the human digestive system and are healthy to ingest. What is the consensus on this, and on bacteria in general? Thanks a bunch, and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you in this community.

-roninway

Bacteria aren't animals, therefore consuming them isn't inconsistant with being a vegan
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Kombucha and Probiotics

I take probiotics every day in vegan pill form. Bacteria is not a animal so vegan friendly.

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Sorry for the slight off topic: Have probiotics improved recently or something? I know that a few years back atleast they were shown to have no effect at all and their popularity was actually a source of amusement for the medical community, with all the talk of 'good bacteria' etc.

Quote Maître View Post
    Sorry for the slight off topic: Have probiotics improved recently or something? I know that a few years back atleast they were shown to have no effect at all and their popularity was actually a source of amusement for the medical community, with all the talk of 'good bacteria' etc.
    I have stomach issues caused by low stomach acid and at times I have been in alot of pain and unable to eat or use the bathroom without crying. I take an enzyme when I eat and a probiotic 2 a day and now that's gone. The "medical community" put me on drugs that landed me in the hospital.

I'm not saying it will work for everyone but it does for me

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Thanks for getting back to me everyone! Im relieved that this won't be an issue. To the question of whether probiotics are beneficial, I would say the answer is a resounding yes! I've personally had severe stomach pain disappear almost immediately after ingesting some kombucha (which contains probiotics).They've been found to have numerous benefits for digestion and overall health, and thats probably just the tip of the iceberg. They've even recently been found to have psychological benefits. Theres probably a lot we still do t know about them, yet I would definitely say if it's vegan, it's good to take them.

See http://www.npr.org/2011/09/02/140146...t-anxious-mice
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010...-fickle-bowels

Quote Maître View Post
    It's still all anecdotal as far as I'm aware.

Isn't bifidus digestivum a spell from Harry Potter?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth