Thread: People who refuse to have an opinion

mythil

Default People who refuse to have an opinion

You know I try getting through life without getting angry but the one thing, I think the biggest thing that ticks me off are people who refuse to have an opinion.

I never really used to think about it but the more I looked into who capitalism, factory farming, oil drilling and so on I became more horrified at how companies can take what they want, sit back and be totally okay with it no matter what it does to the world. Cally me a hippy if you like (like that's a bad thing :P) but I don't want us to destory the place that we live.. You don't break all your furniture or take a wizz in your living room do you?

However, if it ever comes up in a conversation and I tend to say things like "I just don't think we should be harming the planet, animal, air and other people in the way we do" I tend to get called arrogant, pretentious and so on by people who, when you ask them, instantly have no oppinions on the subject other than "we are humans therefore we can do what we please". It's hard to admit to myself but people who coast through life and decide that they don't even need to think about where things come from and it's impact really does get on my nerves.

Default Re: People who refuse to have an opinion

Quote mythil View Post
    I never really used to think about it but the more I looked into who capitalism, factory farming, oil drilling and so on I became more horrified at how companies can take what they want, sit back and be totally okay with it no matter what it does to the world. Cally me a hippy if you like (like that's a bad thing :P) but I don't want us to destory the place that we live.. You don't break all your furniture or take a wizz in your living room do you?
    Companies can take what they want for two primary reasons.

1. Government "regulators" give these companies a monopoly mandate over certain resources. Effectively preventing the free market from functioning. What you call a failure of capitalism is actually better called corporatism

2. So long as there is demand for manufactured goods from folks such as you and I so we can sit in front of our comfy computers and complain about how bad things are. If you want to be serious about environmental change it is about more than just pointing fingers and telling others what they should do. Step#1 turn off the computer and stop being the change you want to see in the world.

"we are humans therefore we can do what we please"
    I would reply to that with "So...because I am human I can break your face and steal all your money then?"

Quote mythil View Post
    It's hard to admit to myself but people who coast through life and decide that they don't even need to think about where things come from and it's impact really does get on my nerves.
    Mine too mythil!

At a dinner party recently a workmate rolled her eyes and looked bored when talk turned to political and enviromental matters..she told me she just wanted to check out men and talk about 'ordinary'things..I explained that politics WAS ordinary things that affect our lives and our society to which I got accused of being pretentious and heavy.

Quite scary really as we both work in an enviroment where challenging government rules regarding housing,employment and benefit is the underlying ethos of everything we do.

Btw..I am regularly referred to as the office hippy..take it as a compliment to be honest..rather that than employee number 22 who blends with the wallpaper!

I understand where yous are coming from but I'm probably someone who is guilty of not having an opinion on certain issues because I haven't researched them. I'd rather explain that I know nothing about a situation than try to give an uneducated opinion.
    Houmous atá ann!

I prefer people not to have opinions if they don't have a rigid set of principles.

'Cept in cases of pure personal preference (tea is nicer than coffee, red is prettier than blue, etc) opinions isn't worth jack unless on rigid principles they is based.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Cacique View Post
    I would reply to that with "So...because I am human I can break your face and steal all your money then?"
    Perfect! lol!
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote mythil View Post
    Cally me a hippy if you like (like that's a bad thing :P) but I don't want us to destory the place that we live.. You don't break all your furniture or take a wizz in your living room do you?
    However, if it ever comes up in a conversation and I tend to say things like "I just don't think we should be harming the planet, animal, air and other people in the way we do" I tend to get called arrogant, pretentious and so on by people who, when you ask them, instantly have no opinions on the subject other than "we are humans therefore we can do what we please". It's hard to admit to myself but people who coast through life and decide that they don't even need to think about where things come from and it's impact really does get on my nerves.
    I have been called a "hippy" or an "arrogant condescending vegan". It all stems from others ignorance and us pointing it out to them. I embrace my veganistic lifestyle and attitude.....it helps make me a well rounded, caring, loving individual.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I understand where yous are coming from but I'm probably someone who is guilty of not having an opinion on certain issues because I haven't researched them. I'd rather explain that I know nothing about a situation than try to give an uneducated opinion.

Blueberries that's not wrong to do. If you are not educated about something you cannot fully have an opinion on it......that would make you a like one of these fools that eat animals and think we are the crazy ones (: And that cow's milk is the perfect food lol. I totally agree with your stance, I am the same way.
    Tanya