Thread: Pasar / Basar - what is it and where do I get it? (pakistani cooking ingredient)

Default Pasar / Basar - what is it and where do I get it? (pakistani cooking ingredient)

I was on the bus home today and struck up a conversation with a pakistani fellow after he sniffed my dhal-infused clothing, we got into a discussion about spices and such and he informed me that most curry places in the UK mainly use 'pasar'. He told me that it was this powder alone which is used to give take away and restaurant curries the elusive 'indian flavour'(even though most of the 'indian curry houses' are owned and ran by pakistanis).

I got home and tried to search for it online and came up with nothing, and I'm a bit concerned about just going by myself into an asian store asking for something without being able to give any information further than "like curry powder" if they don't understand my terrible attempt at pronouncing it. So, can anyone shed some light on this mysterious substance? Sorry for waffling on so much, and thanks!

Default Re: Pasar / Basar - what is it and where do I get it? (pakistani cooking ingredi

Default Re: Pasar / Basar - what is it and where do I get it? (pakistani cooking ingredi

Found it!

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acata...ry-Masala.html

Basically it's a mixture of the exact same spice combination I use when making dhal, only more convenient and cheaper.

looks interesting, i may purchase some myself.