Thread: Clarification on labeling?

Question Clarification on labeling?

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone can clarify a labeling question?

I've noticed a number of foods labeled as 'vegetarian', with no milk/egg allergen warnings (from companies - usually supermarket own brands- that normally do provide such warnings), and no obvious animal ingredients, (I guess honey would be the only likely culprit?)... Would these be vegan, or am I missing something?

There are also products (eg co-op fairtrade dark chocolate bars, various), which are labelled vegetarian but not labelled vegan (unlike other vegan products in co-op), but do not list any suspicious looking ingredients... They do carry an allergen warning however 'may contain milk'. I know that for some people, that would be off-putting, and I understand - I wouldn't eat it if it might have been on the same production line as a steak for example, but I think I can live with low-risk potential minor dairy contamination because the ew-factor with non-flesh products is not nearly as important to me as the ethical/political choices to avoid buying products with non-vegan ingredients... So, again, is it the dairy cross-contamination risk, rather than the product's ingredients that make this chocolate not labelled vegan, or is there something else I should know?

Default Re: Clarification on labeling?

Hi Jane - I did once write and ask the Co-op about one of their fair trade dark chocolate bars that seemed vegan and wasn't labelled as such, and they said it was just the cross-contamination thing. I think they've changed the range since then so if you want to be 100% sure you could write to them.

As a general rule, I think it's worth looking at the list of ingredients as well as the allergens, because as you say there could be honey lurking in there (and it finds its way into stupid things like hummus :/) . But the absence of a "vegan" label definitely doesn't mean it's not vegan.

I'm not sure of specific supermarkets' labeling policies but I think alot of own-brands are afraid to label vegan items because of issues of cross-contamination. See Green's and Black's- they stopped labeling their vegan chocolate as vegan because of such issues.
    Houmous atá ann!

Thanks guys,
    I have emailed the co-op to check, but apart from the auto-reply ('we have received your message'), have not yet heard back... Will post up when I hear from them.

Is Fry's chocolate cream, peppermint cream and orange cream, and cadbury's bourneville a similar deal - does anyone know? I'm trying to make sure my kids don't feel that going vegan is too much hard work and deprivation, so I want them to be able to pick up the occasional treat in the local shop etc, but fry's and bourneville are the only chocs they stock that don't appear to have milk ingredients.

sorry, but i'm pretty sure bournville contains butterfat. but fry's stuff are fine, as are raspberry ripples.

Oh, I must have mis-read the ingredients when I was in the shop! Glad Fry's are ok , might treat the kids after school... Or bribe them to do some chores! Thanks!

also ritter sport marzipan is amazing if they like chocolate bars that are really sweet. i think they do other flavours too but i haven't had them.

Ritter Sport Dark Whole Hazelnuts has shellac. So stupid, I'd like a whole hazelnut vegan chocolate. I haven't seen the marzipan version here in years.

ooh i remember when i wasn't vegan i used to love fruit and nut chocolate. i wonder if anyone does anything like that? i seem to remember green&black's cherry chocolate was vegan?

Quote veganosie View Post
    ooh i remember when i wasn't vegan i used to love fruit and nut chocolate. i wonder if anyone does anything like that? i seem to remember green&black's cherry chocolate was vegan?
    Yep, the G&B cherry chocolate ingredients are vegan (potential dairy cross-contamination as packaging states 'may contain traces of milk')... Also Co-op do a very tasty hazelnut own brand fairtrade dark chocolate (they still haven't got back to me re lack of 'vegan' label - may have to re-send the email!)

oooh janesky that sounds lovely. unfortunately the only co-op round here is a small one on my uni campus but i shall have a look for that!

CuddlyChicken

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.

I think the Moo-free cranberry and hazelnut one shown here http://www.ethical-treats.co.uk/stor...tegory&path=37 may be the closest to fruit and nut. I'm sure I've had a version of the Organica "couverture" bar with fruit and nuts but I can't see that listed anywhere at the moment

Waitrose sell a fruit and nut chocolate bar.
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Product...+fruit+%26+nut

I sometimes make my own. Couverture "milk" chocolate melted with nuts & fruit then set in moulds. Or you could buy the dark chocolate version from Hotel Chocolate:http://www.hotelchocolat.co.uk/Dark-...d-Nut-P190246/

fry's stuff are fine, as are raspberry ripples.
    yum, i love frys creme bars as a special sickly treat... but didn't know about raspberry ripple! so getting one next time i'm at the shops

Hi Loobeylou, completely off topic, but I see you're from Aberystwyth, I grew up near Aber and went to school there kick the bar for me next time you're on the prom would you?

Hi JaneSky ... ooh i have heard of 'kicking the bar', but to be honest i'm not entirely sure which railing it is! if you could let me know, i will gladly go and kick the bar for you

It's the railings right at the end of the prom at the bottom of Constitution Hill, ask around, there seems to be several theories about the origin of the tradition - I favour the one about students taking a stroll to blow out the cobwebs while studying or writing essays, and venting frustrations about unreasonable tutors when they reached the end!

We're actually taking a trip to Aber (well Borth at any rate!) next week. Do you have any lunch venue reccomendations (kid friendly)? - Is the treehouse any good these days (it had it's ups and downs when I lived there), the olive branch sounds ok too from a quick google, and the Arts centre cafe used to be good?

Back on topic, the Co-Op finally sent me an acknowledgement of my e-mail, but no actual information yet. Will update when I know more!

Co-op has confirmed that their lack of 'vegan' label on chocolate without milk listed on the ingredients is due to possible dairy cross contamination, not to other animal derived ingredients, so as far as I'm concerned it's ok, the same applies to the Deli counter olives.

Thanks for checking about the Co-op chocolate, Jane. And thanks also to Enchantress for mentioning the Waitrose fruit and nut bar - bit of a find, that.

i also found a green&blacks dark chocolate hazelnut and raisin bar which is delicious, but yet again doesn't state it is vegan but i can't see anything in the ingredients that isn't.

Oh great, thanks, I'll go tomorrow when i'm in town!!

Quote JaneSky View Post
    We're actually taking a trip to Aber (well Borth at any rate!) next week. Do you have any lunch venue reccomendations (kid friendly)? - Is the treehouse any good these days (it had it's ups and downs when I lived there), the olive branch sounds ok too from a quick google, and the Arts centre cafe used to be good?
    Treehouse is great, and child friendly (they provide nappy changing area etc and high chairs, my mum came to visit with my 3 year old nephew and we went there for lunch, and whenever I go there seems to be children around). Haven't been to the olive branch.. out of my budget! Arts centre is really good but only serves food at certain times (they do a scrummy vegan hot chocolate though). But there's loads of info on here: http://www.eatoutveganwales.org/Cere...tm#Aberystwyth and if you happen to be around this Saturday there's FREE vegan food all day at an event in town info is on that eatoutveganwales website in the news section.

Quote loobeylou View Post
    if you happen to be around this Saturday there's FREE vegan food all day at an event in town info is on that eatoutveganwales website in the news section.
    We went for a look, but arrived a bit late, so supplies were low, we were a little unclear about who was organising it, and my husband felt uncomfortable taking free food (he compared it to a soup kitchen ), so we retreated to the castle for a picnic of yeast pate and salad rolls, crisps, fruit, ricecakes and plamil chocolate! Funnily enough having refused a free lunch, DH is bemoaning going anywhere too pricey with friends tomorrow!

The Youth Hostel we're staying in has been very accomodating and helpful, provided a tasty vegan pasta dish for supper, and they're doing us a vegan breakfast in the morning (with vegan sausages!) (though he did initially ask if vegans avoid fish too raofl!), I'm going to try and get some melty cheezly tomorrow - if anywhere's open!? - and he said he could then do a vegan pizza tomorrow night (yay!)

Now, my family is snoring around me (apart from teenage daughter who, like all teenagers only sleeps between dawn and 2pm!) and I really must turn off the laptop and get some sleep!

Quote Enchantress View Post
    Waitrose sell a fruit and nut chocolate bar.
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Product...+fruit+%26+nut
    THANK YOU!!! Once upon a time they did vegan jelly babies .... they were nice

sorry, but i'm pretty sure bournville contains butterfat.
    On the off chance, I checked the ingredients of the big bars recently and butterfat has been replaced with vegetable fat, again.