Thread: Vegan soy/corn/canola alternatives?

Question Vegan soy/corn/canola alternatives?

There is rice milk (less the brands with canola oil) and rice ice cream but does anyone know of vegan non-soy, non-corn alternatives (preferably organic) for cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, tofu, tortilla chips, etc? I found one brand of rice-based cheese but it wasn't organic and it had some skim-milk something or another in it (I can't recall the exact wording) so it clearly wasn't vegan either.

Because such a high rate of soy, corn and canola is GMO (1) and organic doesn't necessarily mean Non-GMO (2) I'm trying to cut soy, corn, and canola out of my diet yet it's proving to be very difficult to find replacements. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much,
    Dawn

(1) http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Gene...t-a-Glance.php

(2) http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/926

Quote dcapl
    There is rice milk (less the brands with canola oil) and rice ice cream but does anyone know of vegan non-soy, non-corn alternatives (preferably organic) for cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, tofu, tortilla chips, etc? I found one brand of rice-based cheese but it wasn't organic and it had some skim-milk something or another in it (I can't recall the exact wording) so it clearly wasn't vegan either.

I donīt eat any of the foods you listed here, besides tofu, so I donīt have any suggestions for you! I stick with fruits, veggies, a few whole grains and legumes. I donīt eat tofu mroe than once or twice a week.

I imagine you could find some recipes for making some of those things - I know some people make a cheese substitute from nuts, and tortilla chips could be made with a dehydrator, I think.

There are some nut `cheese`recipes on www.vegan-food.net.

You could also check out raw foodists recipes for substitutes.

good luck,
    globesetter

You can buy oat milk at www.truefoodsmarket.com. It's Pacific brand and organic.

ETA: Oh, you're not having a problem finding rice milk in organic, I'm sure. I apologize. I don't have an answer or suggestion.

Default Re: Vegan soy/corn/canola alternatives?

Over here in central Ohio you can get hemp milk. Tastes a little hempy, but I like it.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

Default Re: Vegan soy/corn/canola alternatives?

I've pretty much tried making milk out of any grain or nut that's not bright enough to get out of my way before I can throw it into a blender... Soy, oat and almond are at the top of the list though

Making your own milks is a little more effort, but if you have limited availability, it's really a good alternative to bought stuff.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.