Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yoga

this one is a very comprehensive yoga website with loads of info about all the asanas under the sun, and their purpose and benefits, amongst other things.

this one is a uk yoga shop (in cornwall) which focuses on anusara yoga, which is what i practice.

Default The Yoga Thread

Well........I went to my local Bikram's Yoga Centre today to have a chat with them and check out prices etc.

I'm sad to say that I won't be going back It's just far too expensive. They have an introductory rate of $20 for your first 2 classes. Then you can purchase 10 classes for $200 (another special introductory rate), then after that you pay $300 for the next 10 classes!!!

When they are recommending that you take 2 to 3 classes a week, I calculate that it would cost me approximately $300 per month (after the introductory rates). I just cannot afford it.

I'm really bummed out about it too. I had actually gotten over my nervousness and was looking forward to starting yoga.

Oh well......back to the drawing board.

Thumbs up Re: The Yoga Thread

Evening Roxy! You don't really need classes that ridiculously expensive. I used to do it at home. Get a good book (I'll try looking one up if you like; it's been a long time since I've done any by myself), and start off slowly at home. The most important thing is to not overdo it, and to breathe right. The book should tell you that, and more

All the best.

Default Re: The Yoga Thread

Roxy, you just brought back memories of my mother doing yoga in her bedroom in the 1970's! She got a book, went to one class, and chased us away for an hour each day. This phase lasted about as long as the astrological charting, pyramids, tarot cards, etc. Hey, it was the 70's and she was a single social worker.

It's just funny that yoga is now so expensive. I mean, is there nothing left to capitalize on? Anyway, thanks for the memories.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Your welcome Diane

Thanks Scorpy - I'd be interested if there was a book you could recommend. I am worried though, by teaching myself at home, that I won't receive the full benefit and worse......that I could injure myself.

There are a couple of other Yoga places around here but they're a little too far to get to. In Vancouver itself (I live just outside of Vancouver) there are plenty of Yoga studios but again, they're a bit far away.

I doubt it that you can hurt yourself if you don't overdo it. Little benefit is better than no benefit, and over time you'll get it right. Stick to the easy ones, and progress to the more difficult ones. It's like any other excercise, except that this one's been around for thousands of years, and is effective.

Let me see if I can find that little piece of paper from a few years back with the name of the author and book written on it

OK Thanks Scorpy. That would be great

Geoff

Quote Dianecrna
    Roxy, you just brought back memories of my mother doing yoga in her bedroom in the 1970's! She got a book, went to one class, and chased us away for an hour each day. This phase lasted about as long as the astrological charting, pyramids, tarot cards, etc. Hey, it was the 70's and she was a single social worker.
    a) Is she still single?
    b) Is she as good lookin' as you?
    c) If 'yes' to both the above, what's her phone number?

BTW - I use a book 'Be Young With Yoga' by Richard Hittleman which I bought in the 60's but I think his books are still available and very easy to follow.

Awwww, thanks.

She is single but living in the arid wasteland known as Arizona, USA. Oh, sorry, maybe she is still seeing her boyfriend. But she's gradually becoming vegan. And I am sure she would like you!

I would post a picture of her but she would probably kill me.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Hmmmmm - looks like Mr Hittleman's written a few Yoga books.

Richard Hittleman

Thanks Geoff.

Quote Roxy
    Well........I went to my local Bikram's Yoga Centre today to have a chat with them and check out prices etc.

I'm really bummed out about it too. I had actually gotten over my nervousness and was looking forward to starting yoga.

Oh well......back to the drawing board.
    I haven't been to an official class yet but am doing yaga at home. A friend gave me some tips and I have a book that has 4 - 5 photo's per asana pose plus heaps of info on pilates and how to look after yourself and use props etc.

There are only a few poses I can do properly - the rest require a lot more flexibility but I am certainly working up to it and notice the difference.

Isn't Bikram yoga the hot room one? Maybe that's why that's so costly. There must be other options around the place, but failing that, try your local book stores and library and find a book with lots of photo's and instructions.

...especially follow the instructions that say "only for experienced people..."
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Thanks Veganblue

There are another couple of Yoga centres around, but they are a bit further away than the Bikram's centre. As I don't always have access to a car, I need something that's relatively safe and easy to get to, especially if I am attending some evening classes.

It's good to know that others have had success with teaching themselves Yoga at home.

Do you practice it often?

yogini

hey roxy,
    hmm..
    that does sound v expensive..i pay about £55 for a block of ten..which is pricey aswell i spose but its my little indulgence. i have books aswell, which i think are really good to go along with lessons but if i were you i wouldnt learn exclusively from one. nothing beats a teacher.

sometimes you might feel like youre doing it right but when they adjust you you realise you werent...also they can point out any special requirements for you, eg i have really long arms apparently so i have to adjust the asanas accordingly!
    also you really have to watch certain postures or you can do long term damage to your knees (lotus) and neck (shoulderstand) for example, if you do them wrong without knowing it..also teacher help to push you beyond what you thought were your limits..i think having a teacher has made me progress way faster, as well as helped motivate me.

so there are no cheaper options around then? is ther only one yoga school where you live?

carrot x

Roxy, I didn't want to post anything negative in your thread but I read an interview with the man who turned Bikram Yoga into an industry - he looked like a real egomaniac in the article (can't remember which magazine I read this in). He said things like - take this $3 flip-flop and put the Bikram logo on it, it will sell for $20. It certainly turned me off to his type of yoga (which is borrowed from centuries old yoga that was never "copyrighted")

Anyway, I would take the advice of those who have tried more traditional yoga. Do you have any community centers in your area that offer classes? We have the YMCA in towns in the U.S. Perhaps you have something similar within reach with public transportation?

Whatever you do, keep us posted. I may give it a try myself!

Thanks Carrot and Diane. We do have a couple of other Yoga Centres but they are further away for me to get to, and this can create a bit of a problem, seeing as I don't always have access to a car, and I don't particularly like the thought of catching public transport by myself, after dark

I've even looked in the Yellow pages, which only lists the 3 Yoga Centres in my area.

I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open, incase a new small studio opens up - I'm sure the opportunity that's right for me will present itself when the time is right

Until then, it looks like I'm going to have to teach myself at home for now. I'll have a look at books, at my BIG local bookstore next time I'm up at the mall.

Carrot - 55 pounds is about $120 Canadian. It's expensive - I admit - but this Bikram's thing is way more!

Gliondrach

Thanks Martin. Those poses look like a lot of hard work but like they would be so good for my body. Oh well - in another life when I am rich

Gliondrach

I used to do, and am planning to do again, what are known as the Ancient Art Silk Weaving Excercises. They were supposed to have been developed by an Indian monk who went to China. He noticed that the monks there were weak and unhealthy. It seems to have something to do with the development of Shaolin Boxing, as well.

For years I couldn't find any references to this system apart from the book I have, and began to think the author had made it up. Then I came across a couple of references on the internet. So, it just might be an old system.

There are a series of movements, all done slowly, which are supposed to strengthen the various organs. You have to breathe correctly, as well. They are very calming to do.

Not quite Tai Chi, but probalbly connected.

Yes, as you were describing it I thought it sounded similar to Tai Chi. Good luck with finding more info about it.

I love Yoga!

I am practising the most popular on Hatha yoga.

I'm new to it and find some of the postures a bit hard to do, i have a very sore back at the momnet which sadly means i cannot do many of the asana's i used to do.

I use book's and DVD's as there are no classes near me. My fave book is called "Total yoga" by Ninta patel.

What's everone's fave asana?

I like hte triangle,downward facing dog and the warrior

Quote Roxy
    It's good to know that others have had success with teaching themselves Yoga at home.

Do you practice it often?
    A couple of days a week I do some stretches, but I also do them during the day (when no one is looking) I prefer the morning, before breakfast. I don't feel the need to "warm up" but don't quote me on that - I could be totally wrong in that.

I focus on breathing while going through a sequence and I am not so interested in how far I can seemingly stretch, but how best I can hold the poses - that seems to be the key. Shoulder blades back, stomach flattened to the spine, breathing through the nose, lengthen the spine, drop your shoulders, focus on the stretch and relaxing the muscles.

I do what feels comfortable and hold the pose for about a count of thirty. It feels *really* good when you are stretching properly and even better after.

Don't forget that you can exercise all through the day just by remembering to lengthen your spine, roll your shoulders back and support your posture by holding flat your abdominals. This includes while sitting at the computer...

Try it now! The more often you do it the easier a habit it becomes.

You will find that your back complains a bit for a few weeks because you are using mucles that are not used to being used - they do strengthen however and you will develop naturally good posture.

Gliondrach

There are two little-known ways to help yourself to become more flexible. I learnt them from an osteopathy book, called 'Osteopathic Self-Treatment', by Leon Chaitow. They are Post Isometric Relaxation and Reciprocal Inhibition. In the first, you can put a muscle into isometric contraction for 6-10 seconds and then relax. You can then stretch it a bit further than you normally could.

With the second, you put the antagonist muscle into isometric contraction for a few seconds and then you can stretch it further. An antagonist muscle is one that opposes a particular muscle. The biceps in the arm are the ants of the triceps, and vice versa.

These can also be used to relieve stiff muscles, such as a stiff neck. If the stiffness is just the result of sleeping in an awkward position they can be very useful. I have tried them myself. They do not always work on stiff necks but they sometimes do. They always work in helping a muscle stretch that bit further. It doesn't matter which one you use - it is the one that is easier or more convenient.

Never use full force. Keep breathing out whilst doing these. Don't hold your breath or you can strain the lungs. In the book it suggests that you hold your breath but I've always been taught that you should always breathe when lifting heavy weights or putting muscles under extra tension. Only light tension is used but better safe than sorry.

This is great!!! Thanks Gliondrach!

Since yoga is based upon isometric contractions (tense muscle- not moving) that would mean that I should rearrange my stretches so that I then stretch the corresponding antagonistic muscle...? and then go back to the original muscle. I will give it a go - it can't hurt to try!

Gliondrach

Er, not quite. In these stretches you have to put a bit of effort into trying to move the joint - not just hold it still. The correct way - in this - is to take it to full stretch and then ease off a bit to less than full stretch. Then put it under tension by pressing against it and trying to move it but resisting with the muscles that are in isometric contraction.

Surely, in yoga, you don't deliberately oppose the stretch by trying to straighten up?

In the book it also says that you should turn your eyes in the direction that you want the joint to move. If you are trying to make your neck more flexible so that it can bend more to the side, you should turn your eyes in the direction you are trying to bend your neck.

I think we are thinking of the same thing Thanks for clarifying.

i feel awsome after yoga. roxy, you should maybe look for gyms in your area. i have gone to gyms that offer yoga and because i am not a member i have to pay $5 per class. not too bad compared to what you would have to pay at a studio.

I have been doing yoga for about a month or so now. Recently i have developed a very sore lower back,i'm blaming my mattress on my bed but do you thibnk it might be yoga? I don't force myslef to do posture's that i know i can't do and all my postures are done slowly. Could it be a natural progression for my back to get sore as i never used to use it in this way beofre.

So many question's there sorry

This has turned into a great discussion

That's a good idea mophoto. Thanks for the suggesstion.

Yesterday, I mentioned that I was certain the right opportunity would present itself when the time was right. Well it might have just happened yesterday!

I have a lovely customer called Lisa, and she and I share a lot of the same interests. We got to chatting yesterday, and I told her how I had been to Bikram's and how it was just too expensive and how I was really disappointed. So she says "You should come to Yoga at the Community Centre I go to"! So as it turns out, I'm a bit late for this set of classes, which just started, but there's another set starting up in November. I think there are 8 to 10 classes and it's only $66.00. So anyway, she's going to bring me a pamphlet and the business card of the lady who is the instructor, so I can make some further enquiries.

Until then though, I am still interested in purchasing a book, and trying it at home as well.

Great news, Roxy! This is brilliant! You may want to start by getting into a routine of setting some times aside when it is convenient for you. Regular practice is the key and where you will achieve the most benefit.

Find yourself a decent floor mat. Ones that roll out and don't curl up at the neds are ideal. I have a foam one that is "sticky" - one side is more tacky than the other. You don't want to slip suddenly. In time you may also want to get some blocks and straps for assisting in the stretches without over-stretching yourself.

That's it! You've got me looking for a yoga class now. (typing with spine held straight, abdominal muscles flat.........)

Is it unusual to feel tired, achy and depressed a few days after a yoga session? This happend to me for the second time I went to Power Yoga. Maybe I'm detoxing and my body is adjusting, I don't know. If I'm going to feel like this I'm not sure I want to continue. The strange thing is I don't feel overworked or that I'm pushing myself too hard while I'm actually there doing the stuff.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

cross barer

Quote scorpy
    Evening Roxy! You don't really need classes that ridiculously expensive. I used to do it at home. Get a good book (I'll try looking one up if you like; it's been a long time since I've done any by myself), and start off slowly at home. The most important thing is to not overdo it, and to breathe right. The book should tell you that, and more

All the best.
    Rox don't do yoga without having been shown how first. I'd recommend doing the first month then getting a dvd or video or book, but there are certain things that may not be covered which you need to know when doing yoga and you can injure yourself doing very simple exercises. You can't stop and refer to a book halfway through a movement, an instructer will guide you through telling you when to breathe etc.

For example, you must never bend your knee forward further than directly above the ankle as it causes immense strain on the knee. A good instructor will also tailor information specific to yourself if you have any injuries. You will have more tension in some areas than others preventing you from doing certain exercises properly and you can injure yourself if attempting them. Once you learn this stuff and find your own limitations then it is safe to use instructional material yourself.

Is there a Uni campus near you? They might have yoga there, which might be cheaper.

cross barer

Quote Xenakicksass
    I have been doing yoga for about a month or so now. Recently i have developed a very sore lower back,i'm blaming my mattress on my bed but do you thibnk it might be yoga? I don't force myslef to do posture's that i know i can't do and all my postures are done slowly. Could it be a natural progression for my back to get sore as i never used to use it in this way beofre.

So many question's there sorry
    Yoga releases tension and increases blood flow. Whats probably happening is you've had major tension for a long time and the muscles are starting to loosen up, the blood flow makes it sore because there is lactic acid in the muscles and you are feeling it.

It also might be that the muscles are getting extra strain on them and being strecthed in your normal routines because there is more balance from other muscles relaxing. When you don't use your muscles they shrink, then they get stretched and hurt but it passes.

The third thing is you may be overstretching when doing yoga. Anything that hurts in a session is a no-no. Do you feel pain in the lower back when bending etc? If so you are overdoing it and need to pay attention to those signals, and only go as far as when the pain begins; don't hold in a painful position or push yourself... that is not what yoga is about!

Quote kriz
    Is unusual to feel tired, achy and depressed a few days after a yoga session? This happend to me for the second time I went to Power Yoga. Maybe I'm detoxing and my body is adjusting, I don't know. If I'm going to feel like this I'm not sure I want to continue. The strange thing is I don't feel overworked or that I'm pushing myself too hard while I'm actually there doing the stuff.
    When returning after having not done yoga for a while, within a week of the first session I have a big cry over whatever, usually a movie sets me off.

I believe we store emotion in our muscles and tension causes this to build up. When you release the muscle tension you release the emotion. It's a hippy explanation I know, but it seems to make sense to me.

Yoga releases tension and increases blood flow. Whats probably happening is you've had major tension for a long time and the muscles are starting to loosen up, the blood flow makes it sore because there is lactic acid in the muscles and you are feeling it.

aaah! that makes sense,bloody lactic acid lol

It also might be that the muscles are getting extra strain on them and being strecthed in your normal routines because there is more balance from other muscles relaxing. When you don't use your muscles they shrink, then they get stretched and hurt but it passes.

my job is a heavy job and i am lifting a lot too,so perhap's that is a cause

The third thing is you may be overstretching when doing yoga. Anything that hurts in a session is a no-no. Do you feel pain in the lower back when bending etc? If so you are overdoing it and need to pay attention to those signals, and only go as far as when the pain begins; don't hold in a painful position or push yourself... that is not what yoga is about!

I stop any yoga stretch that being's too hurt. As i know im not that flexible yet.

Thank's for your help

Default Do you do yoga?

I want to get into yoga but I have some questions!

If take yoga classes, answer please!

1. Is it true you can't have breakfast when doing yoga? I just don't think I can handle without my breakfast/

2. What kind of clothing do you wear? You don't have to wear the tight spandex clothes if you don't want to, right?

3. Do you get sweaty?

4. Can you wear glasses while doing it? I'm blind without my glasses and don't have contacts.

5. Have you seen visible results (body toning-wise)?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: Do you do yoga?

Quote Tigerlily

1. Is it true you can't have breakfast when doing yoga? I just don't think I can handle without my breakfast/
    I often eat before yoga, and have never had a problem, i do suggest something not too heavy and something that won't give u gas, asanas r hard to do if u r feeling bloated or gasy

Quote Tigerlily
    2. What kind of clothing do you wear? You don't have to wear the tight spandex clothes if you don't want to, right?
    although i wear tighter clothes usually, anything is fine that ur comfortable working out in...sweats, shorts, etc, just make sure u can move in them

Quote Tigerlily
    3. Do you get sweaty?
    it depends on the kind of yoga ur doing, vinyasa yoga, which is a warming yoga, u often so, but this is not a problem, it feels very cleansing, and if u can't handle it, u can take child's pose--a cooling pose

Quote Tigerlily
    4. Can you wear glasses while doing it? I'm blind without my glasses and don't have contacts.
    i dunno if this would really be possible, many of the asanas (poses) are inverted or some other position of the sort. however, most of the time, it is best to be blind anyway, that way u can see urself from within, although this is usually easier when ur more advanced

Quote Tigerlily
    i really did, and my strength is noticibally increased. it keeps the body very toned, and helps to calm and clear the mind, as long as u don't focus just on the physical aspect of it, but the entire practice
    i hope this was helpful
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote Tigerlily

3. Do you get sweaty?

they say not to eat an hour before- but i have never had any problems, i have heard of others releasing gas

wear loose clothing- make sure sure your shirt is not too loose- in case you do head stands- yoga pants are very comfy.

i get sweaty sometimes- depends on the type of yoga

i put my glassed next the matt. unless they fall off your face you should be ok wearing them

i haven't done it consistanly to see a change, but i want to

We'd love to get into yoga but the local classes are sooooo expensive so we'll have to wait until I finish university in June!
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Re: Yoga

Yipee, i've just found an ashtanga yoga class... i've been wanting to try this form for ages. Anyone else a fan? Hints, tips, please..
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Yay I'm so happy!

A customer at work who I am quite friendly with, finally brought me in the pamphlet for the Yoga studio where she goes.

This morning I spoke with the lady who takes the classes and the next round of sessions starts on January 11, which I will be going to

It sounds wonderful and I'm really looking forward to it!

Here's the link if anyone wants to take a look.
    http://www.yogatreecentres.com/

I'm starting an Ashtanga Yoga class in January! I am so excited! Thanks for all of the links to the misc. sites...they are very helpful and make me even more eager for January to get here!

Quote Roxy
    Yay I'm so happy!

A customer at work who I am quite friendly with, finally brought me in the pamphlet for the Yoga studio where she goes.

This morning I spoke with the lady who takes the classes and the next round of sessions starts on January 11, which I will be going to

It sounds wonderful and I'm really looking forward to it!

Here's the link if anyone wants to take a look.
    http://www.yogatreecentres.com/
    Woohoo! So I finally went along to my first ever Yoga Class last night and I JUST LOVED IT!!

I felt so good as I was doing the poses, and I felt so good afterwards! I'm really happy that I went along. The class is an hour and a half long and I'm going to go along every Wednesday night. It's also a smallish class (12 people), so I felt the instructor was able to give personal attention to people where it was needed.

I was so impressed with some of the work we did last night, that when I got up this morning I did some of the floor work here at home, to stretch out my back.

As for soreness - I seem to be okay, just a little tight through my shoulder blades.

Went to Hatha Yoga today after Step and Sculpt at the gym. I had done some Yoga at the gym at school and also power yoga DVDs and such but it was fun getting back into it! Gotta love Yoga. Theres going to be one hopefully right around the corner at my place in Boston soo I'm very excited to get up early and take classes every morning - 6 am I would love ideally - I hope they have something close to that time or at least 7ish!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Some of my favorite yoga routines are available as free downloads from the net:

http://jivadiva.libsyn.com/
    http://www.vancouveryoga.com/mp3yoga.html
    http://www.vancouveryoga.com/freeyoga_mp3.html

Also, Power Yoga for Happiness is a really great DVD (from the vancouveryoga.com guy) - I posted a review at sk8erboi.com

I've taken a couple hundred classes at studios, but at $15 a pop, it gets a bit expensive. Also, sometimes teachers push students to hard, or the peer pressure to perform (even though yoga is supposed to be noncompetitive) can lead to injuries. For 2006, I'm trying to do more home practice, and less formal classes. These mp3 classes are really fun, but they're for people that already have some experience & really know the poses. Since they're audio only, there's no one to look at to make sure you're doing it right. But also, no visual pictures to distract you either.

namaste & om shanti, ron

I really want to try yoga but I'm afraid everyone will be skinny at the lessons.

Tigerlily - there are no skinny people at my Yoga class. They are all healthy weights with a few people being overweight and one or 2 being very overweight.

Perhaps you could watch a class before you try it and see if you would feel comfortable.

Not everybody is skinny. There are so many different types of yoga. Ashtanga, Power (also called Vinyasa or Flow) and Bikram are the most athletic kinds and can be more difficult for beginners.

Try one of the more gentle and spiritual yogas like Integral Yoga, Sivananda Yoga, Kripalu Yoga, or a class with a title like "Candlelight Yoga" or "Gentle Hatha Yoga".

Yoga is for everybody. It's just that the types range from the extreme of yoga practiced in a room heated to 110 degrees to the very slow meditative type of practice. Try different settings & different teachers to find something that works for you. Call ahead to the studio to explain what you are looking for & they can suggest an appropriate class and teacher to try. Yogis come in all sizes, shapes, ages, etc. So please join us.

Also, if you'd like to try a beginner's video at home, something like MTV Yoga would be a good choice (don't try MTV Power Yoga -- it's with same instructor, but she goes way to fast).

Also, a really super message board for yoga is:

http://p092.ezboard.com/bmovingintostillness

By the way, this is my first day on veganforum.com & I love being here. It was mentioned on the VeganFreak podcast -- a really cool 1-hour weekly vegan radio show that you can download -- and it's very funny -- people see me laughing at the fitness center or on the bus & have no idea have much fun I'm having -- linky -- http://feeds.feedburner.com/VeganfreakRadio

Thanks guys. I should look into it. I really should.

I'd love to start Bikram or Ashtanga yoga. I'm pretty flexible, but alas the Ashtanga classes tend to be in the city on days that are not compatable with me.

Maybe in 2007! lol.