Thread: Best way to copy links to other forum threads into a post

Default Best way to copy links to other forum threads into a post

Hi all,

sometimes we copy links to other threads into our posts. Here's a quick and easy way to do it - a way which automatically ends up with the thread title with an embedded link to the thread in question.

Just above each thread, there's a line saying "Thread" and the the link to that thread. Copy that link, and just paste it into a post. You don't need to create a hyperlink - it happen automatically. This does not happen if you copy the (blac) nake of the thread on te line shoing a Home-icon.

1) If you copy the link from the browser, it will look eg. like this:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...y-from-animals

2) If you copy the line that starts with "Thread"), it will look like this (which is the solution we usually want):
    B12 only from animals??

3) If you copy the line with the home icon, the end result will look like this (which is not what we usually want):

Default Re: Best way to copy links to other forum threads into a post

Ok, I think I finally understood what you meant: Best way to copy links to other forum threads into a post

Uh, it did look a bit big though in the quick reply box! (Now that I've gone to the "Advanced" view it looks normal.)

Btw, I always thought the "best" way to post a link to a thread on a vB forum was to use the [thread] tags. Just grab the thread id number from the link and insert it into a [thread] tag like this:
    [thread=29531]A link to this thread[/thread] which will look like this:
    A link to this thread

This has the advantage of being more future-proof in case the web site domain name or forum URL changes. (Which could happen e.g. if you (the forum owner) decided to migrate to a different forum software etc.)