Thread: Driving Down Rural Roads

Default Driving Down Rural Roads

I was driving down a rural road, in a 'farming' (term used loosely) community, and happened along some veal calves. Living on 4 foot chains, in dog-house sized crates. I was with my mother, and all I could say was "...and THAT'S what's wrong with milk."
    I was just so upset. Still shaken.
    This world is so skewed.

Default Re: Driving Down Rural Roads

Aspin, I don't blame you feeling as you do, it must have been so, so awful I have only ever seen those sorts of things on the internet and sometimes on the telly, but never in really life.

Yep the world is f**cked.

Thanks for replying. I just can't understand why people think milk is okay! Tell that to the calves!
    I'd (fortunately) never seen that in person before, first time for everything I suppose :-/

Aspin, I guess the veal calves you saw were the "lucky" ones, that are even allowed out and not kept in a crate in the dark stable :-(

It's a sad, sad world. I have to think about it every day when I change trains at the train station and have to walk through the long shopping arcade with one food place selling horrible animal products by the next one, and I realize that I am most likely the only one of all the passers-by who has any problems with that.

Best regards,
    Andy

There are lights in this world too Aspin, darkness is just absence of light.

Namaste

Quote Mordechai View Post
    There are lights in this world too Aspin, darkness is just absence of light.

Namaste
    I completely agree with Mordechai, a few months ago I went past a field filled with cows and saw several young ones feeding from their mothers. It felt weird because I had never seen it before, but it was nice and it was great to be able to say to my parents who were also in the car: "that is ACTUALLY what cows milk is for!".

I know how hard it is seeing horrible things (I come from a village that is very farming oriented (and apparently was also the holiday home of the racehorse Redrum)), but please don't let it upset you, and remember - we are always her to talk to.

I wouldn't say the calves were outside. I'm sure you're familiar with the 'igloo' style dog houses- they were each in an individual house like that, just happened to be near the road. Lots of grass... not anywhere near them though. Why have so much property if you're not going to let your animals graze it? Dear heavens. And to think, a few days later, they're still languishing in their terrible lives. As I sit here and try to smile. *hangs head*

That sounds horrible, aspin. Maybe you could write a letter to your local paper about what you saw? Or get involved with a local organisation that campaigns against intensive farming and/or promotes veganism, if you aren't already? I think the worst kind of veal production has been banned here, so (slow) progress is possible.

Apart from that I would try not to think about it too much as it will just depress you without getting anywhere. I know it's easier said than done though :/

I was on vacation when I saw it, so it isn't necessarily local to me... though not too far away. I just hate this world right now.

The world does not hate you back Aspin.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    If you want peace, be peace.
    This experience could be that motivation, it is energy you've been given to use.
    The world gives you this, pain, what are you going to give back? More? Or are you going to move it into something positive?

Namaste

I'm wondering what I can do, currently, to help. I know my life's plan revolves around helping those needing it, but in my current situation, it seems there's little to be done.
    Thanks for letting me vent, everyone.

Same task everyday which is so easy,
    be a beacon of peace, in every activity, all the time, for ever an all ways.
    Fall off the horse? Get right back on it!
    Take a meat-eating friend out, enjoy the meal of your choice, talk, get to know eachother deeper,
    get to know yourself deeper. And if it is going to inspire 'wisdom' then discuss topics like non-violence, peace, moderation, enlightenment.

These are topics many feel afraid about conversing about. However a world will not be lived like this, unless one becomes comfortable with topics as these.

Namaste

I still think it would be worth writing to the paper of whatever area it was (you could for example say you don't live there and seeing this barbaric practice has put you off visiting in future), and maybe joining a campaigning organisation if you haven't already?

You may as well use your feelings of outrage to do something to get things changed - it will make you feel better too.