Thread: Japanese cooking, Kansha

Talking Japanese cooking, Kansha

I love Japanese food, and have been eyeing up these two vegan Japanese cookbooks Kansha by Elizabeth Andoh http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Kans.../9781580089555 and Japanese Cooking: Contemporary and Traditional by Miyoko Mishimoto Schinner http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Cont...description-20. Does anyone have these books, and if so would you recommend them?

Default Re: Japanese cooking/Kansha

Hi Blueberries - did you end up purchasing these books? These are on my wishlist on Amazon (which nobody ever looks at so I'm slowly trying to purchase each book over time!). If you did, what are your thoughts on them?
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote pusskins
    Hi Blueberries - did you end up purchasing these books? These are on my wishlist on Amazon (which nobody ever looks at so I'm slowly trying to purchase each book over time!). If you did, what are your thoughts on them?
    I didn't, no . I'd prefer to know more about them and there doesn't seem to be much info or any reviews around.
    Houmous atá ann!

Here is a preview of the first book that you mentioned (via books.google.com):

Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions

I couldn't find a preview for the second book, but they did have some reviews posted:

Contemporary and Traditional Japanese Cooking: Simple, Delicious and Vegan

Let us know if you try some of the recipes! I love Japanese food.
    "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."
    -Voltaire

I also have been considering buying exactly those two books a few times, but have not done it so far.

I have used Amazons "look into the book" feature for both, and I am still not 100% convinced of Mrs. Shinners book, the 40 first pages only containing a (quite extensive) glossary and 2 or 3 pages of recipes. Given that the book is only 144 pages in total, that seemed not very much (but, to be just, this book is also not very expensive)

Mrs Andohs book looks much better to me, even though it is more expensive. Hmm, guess I'll end up ordering that one sooner or later ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy_T; Jul 13th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Default Re: Japanese cooking, Kansha

I actually recently purchased the less expensive one on amazon, for 10 bucks. (The second one). I will get it next week, ill let you guys know how it goes!

Okay got the book, "Japanese Cooking: Contemporary and Traditional". I personally love it, the recipes are concise and simple not too insanely detailed.

I just made cold tofu, a dish of rice, cold tofu with green onions, ginger and soy sauce over the tofu. I was afraid it may be weird but honestly, its delicious, the spices really blend perfectly and i could see myself just grabbing some tofu from the fridge cutting it up, putting the condiments and munching on it. It is the fastest meal ive made in a long time (the rice was already cooked from another day).

Next up i am gonna try "fishy" Tempura Tempeh. Basically soak the tempeh in sauce, wrap in nori and tempura fry.

For those thinking of getting it i do recommend it on one condition, you NEED access to a few things, like kombu dashi (stock), shitake dashi, or kombu and shiitake, nori sheets, various types of mushrooms, tofu, tempeh, miso

Oh, wow Thanks for that! Concise and simple I like. Luckily, I can easily get hold of a (relatively) large-ish number of Japanese condiments/ingredients.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

From now on, recipes i will be putting in the vegan food section btw. However theres one posted now, with a pic! Its tempura too

Im having trouble finding konbu seaweed or konbu dashi, and various mushrooms, i guess i gotta find a specialty asian market, thats not too far. I also cannot find miso :/ checked two stores. I know ill be able to get it if i go for a bit of a drive though.. I will attempt another recipe tomorrow, maybe with seitan "pork".

can anyone recommend a good place to buy Japanese food and Tableware etc? I found this site: http://www.japancentre.com/categories but am wary of ordering from some random place i've never heard of before (esp. food). I made a lovely tofu and rice dish tonight with a bit of seaweed so am inspired now and have been reading up on their lifestyle and need to downsize my dinnerplates as I eat far too big a portion size.