Thread: Vegan in Durham?

Default Vegan in Durham?

I! I'm going to Durham next year to study. I've been assured that the college caters to vegans, so that one is good... I was wondering if there are some good cafes/restaurants in Durham that serve vegan food? Though I really seldom eat out, the opportunity to would be nice!
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

Default Re: Vegan in Durham?

I think that the nearest you will find will be Bob Trollop's pub in Newcastle (which is 10 mins by train from Durham). It used to be entirely vegetarian but according to the reviews on Veggie Heaven it no longer is. When I visited Newcastle last year I specifically asked for a meal that was vegan and nice and cheap it was too. As Newcastle is itself a good day or evening out from Durham (cheap with a student railcard if these still exist?), it would be somewhere that you could go to along with other students who are not vegetarian/vegan.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't have much hope of finding a veg restaurant/cafe in Durham anyway. Though it would be nice of course, but I can live with a 10 min ride on the train :P

Glad to be of help. From either Tynemouth (ferries to/from Norway) or Newcastle Airport, you'll need to travel via the local Metro network to Newcastle Central Station in order to change trains for Durham in any case. You could put your stuff in a locker - if these are available - at the station and go for a stroll down to the Quayside to find Bob Trollop's and have a general wander round.

Hello ! We regularly eat at Jack Sprats' when we go to Newcastle and we loooove it : lovely food, big portions, correct prices, gorgeous cakes. They also have gluten free options.
    http://www.jackspratscafe.co.uk/index.html

There's a vegan lunch every first Saturday of the month in Durham city, I'll try to find the details. It's very good and cheap.
    Last edited by Milady Froggy; Jul 29th, 2014 at 09:14 AM.

I'm moving to Durham in October; one thing Google isn't clear on so far is whether there is much there in the way of vegan societies. I know the university has one (though since I'm not on facebook anymore it doesn't look as though I can contact them until I get up there). But it would be good to see if there are any other options besides.

Also, how about shops? Anyone know of any good health/foreign food shops or grocers in Durham, or is Newcastle my best bet?
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

Hello,

I am a vegan currently at Durham Uni, I have just completed my second year there and it is absolutely amazing, I'm sure you'll love it . The city itself isn't exactly the biggest of places and as a result of that, there aren't any like cool whole food shops or stuff like that which sucks although you should check out the indoor market, there is a really good stall there that sells nice stuff like seeds, quinoa and nuts and stuff which is really cool.

Being a vegan in Durham myself, having been one for 10 months, I can tell you there isn't much. Tia's on Claypath (up from the gala), have a complete vegan menu, just ask. Also, Woksupp has vegan options, although they are not stated, just ask for anything that hasn't got meat or egg noodles in, although they are cooked in the same wok as meat and what not, I assure you they clean the wok afterward. Holland & Barrett for groceries is your best bet, although Tesco in Dragonville now have a vegan section, next to the milk. Hope this has helped.

Ok, I thought I'd update this since there have been a few developments/discoveries that I've made since I came here. The Jumping Bean cafe on Neville Street (off North Road) offers a completely vegetarian menu with plenty of vegan options (the spinach & pinenut falafel sandwich is awesome) including vegan cakes. Their coffee is also brilliant.

The Claypath Deli (on Claypath, believe it or not) offers a reasonable number of vegan options. They grow a lot of their own vegetables (and occasionally edible flowers for the salads, too).

There's also a monthly volunteer-run vegan cafe in the community centre on the Bailley every 1st Saturday of the month - however, I've not been able to try any of their food since the only time I was able to make it there, they'd run out of food. Make sure you show up early, I guess?
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

We've eaten there several times and it's lovely. Good atmosphere, gorgeous food and it's cheap.