Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New range at Tesco

Default New range at Tesco

Hi everyone

I've just returned from a shopping trip to Tesco and am sooooooooooo excited - they have a new 'Free From' range in their refridgerated section containing their own brand of soya/rice/almond/coconut/hazelnut milk, yoghurts, soft & hard cheeses, soya/sunflower spread ..... all marked suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Perhaps they are finally seeing the light? Woo-hooooooooooo .

Default Re: New range at Tesco

I've not seen these yet and i am (unfortunately) a Tesco employee, i will have to keep a look out for them in my store.

Maybe they haven't rolled it out across all the stores yet? I was in Tesco, Littlehampton, West Sussex.

Glad to hear about Tesco finally introducing some new lines! I don't have a local Tesco that I can visit (with ease) but my local Asda have now introduced the "Good Life" range, although I am a bit cautious about buying them as they have a mission-statement: "P.S. By eating these you are helping to create a goodlife for orang-utans in Borneo. 1p per pack is donated to protecting their habitat World Land Trust." Considering the range is around £2.00 per pack, I personally want to do some research before I buy their products.

Wow! That's quite an impressive amount of vegan products all in one go!

You can view them on the website - [Link removed, didn't work]
    Last edited by Risker; Feb 27th, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Removed link

Quote Risker View Post
    Wow! That's quite an impressive amount of vegan products all in one go!

You can view them on the website - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ...94793660&Nao=0

It is an impressive new range, isn't it? I couldn't believe my eyes when I glanced across and saw the whole new section screaming out at me. I tried your link but it doesn't show anything??? I also tried putting in a search for it but got nothing. Anyway, they were definitely in store and are now in my fridge

Quote Fruit Tea View Post
    they have a new 'Free From' range in their refridgerated section containing their own brand of soya/rice/almond/coconut/hazelnut milk, yoghurts, soft & hard cheeses, soya/sunflower spread ..... all marked suitable for vegetarians and vegans
    Sounds exciting! I'll have to look out for them . Has anyone tried the cheeses, are they nice?

Quote Fruit Tea View Post
    It is an impressive new range, isn't it? I couldn't believe my eyes when I glanced across and saw the whole new section screaming out at me. I tried your link but it doesn't show anything??? I also tried putting in a search for it but got nothing. Anyway, they were definitely in store and are now in my fridge
    Sorry, I thought it might not work. I just went to the groceries section of the website and clicked Fresh food>Dairy alternatives

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Sounds exciting! I'll have to look out for them . Has anyone tried the cheeses, are they nice?

No, I haven't tried them yet. If I remember correctly they had two varieties of hard cheese - mild and medium (the medium was orange in colour, similar to Red Leicester) and there were 2 or 3 varieties of soft cheese - plain, sweet chilli and possibly one other. I bought the mild hard cheese and the sweet chilli soft cheese to try.

Oh and they have good dates on too and I think the hard cheese said "Once opened use within 10 days", which is better than Cheezly, which unfortunately seems to go off a lot quicker.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I wouldn't get too hopeful about all this new stuff getting rolled out in Ireland anytime soon Blueberries. Tesco have a history of withholding their own-brand veggie stuff here. I really hope I'm wrong though!

Quote Barry
    I really hope I'm wrong though!
    Me too
    Houmous atá ann!

The link doesn't work..but this one should: http://www.tescorealfood.com/our-foo...iry-range.html

Ohhh just checked out the link - exciting stuff! Thanks greenjudy My other half is in love with Tesco and we often shop there. Will be good to try some of these new things - the desserts sound intriguing! Tells you which stores here as well: http://www.tescorealfood.com/Media/d...3db8506b-0.pdf so we aren't blindly wandering from one Tesco to another!

arghh the nearest tesco that stocks the new range is nearly an hour from me. boo

Quote veganosie View Post
    arghh the nearest tesco that stocks the new range is nearly an hour from me. boo
    Me too. I can't believe not a single Leicester store is stocking them

I wasn't very impressed with their soya milk but the rice and almond milks were really nice. I have some yogurts too but I haven't tried them yet.

what are the prices like compared to brands (alpro, provamel etc)?

Does anyone else get the feeling that these ​might be re-branded products (coconut milk might be Kara, cheese = sheese, yogurts/puddings = alpro)?

Creme Caramel..... o.O *salivates*

Wow, I can't believe they are doing vegan 'cheese'. I never thought that a supermarket would do that. I wonder what it tastes like. Got to try it. The only one I ever eat is Redwoods Mozarella melty style as it still makes me so happy to have cheese on toast.
    And I still haven't tried the new Vgusto (not sure if it's spelt like that!).

Aw, it's a shame the two stores listed that are closest to me are not really viable for me to get there. It's good to hear they are doing this though, so hopefully other stores will stock up soon...

Ooh that's really exciting! The cheese thing especially. And I've always wanted to try almond milk but I've always been put off by the price. £1.69 sounds ok though!

Edit: crap, not near me. You lot best get buying lots of it so they roll it out in all the stores!

I've now tried the mild hard cheese on a jacket potato and can confirm it's very tasty. I will be making pizza tonight with lots of grated cheese! Yum. I didn't compare all the prices but noticed when I was in store that the yoghurts were cheaper than Alpro but the coconut milk was more expensive than the Kara long life one.

I realized that the cheese is made of soy.. eek

Does it taste as horrid as cheezly and all these similar bands?

Okay advice needed! So we went to Cardiff Tesco and became very excited to see this new free from fresh section I think its brilliant theyre extending their range of products. However bought the free from cheese (medium) the hard stuff (£2.50) and have tried a bit but found it really yuck. I am determined to try it hot because am convinced it may be better however have been so put off I couldn't even include it in last nights dinner for fear of ruining it! Has anyone tried this cheese stuff successfully and what ingredients/dish would you recommend using it in?

I think this new range is great and will continue buying and trying different different products in the hope it they will become more widely available and a larger range!

Oh what a shame Phiewe. I must admit when I first tried Cheezly (Redwoods?), I didn't like it at all but perhaps my tastes are changing over time, as I actually liked the Tesco hard cheese (although I tried the mild variety) and I found it grated better than cheezly and didn't crumble everywhere.

I hope they continue to expand their range too and I wrote to Tesco telling them so whilst writing to thank them for becoming more vegan friendly with this new range .

After this thread made the 40min trip to Tesco which stoked the new free from range.

Slightly disappointed that it was being kept at the end of meat and near the butchers bit - but the sign 'just because you are intolerant doesn't mean you should go with out' made it pretty clear where the product aim lies. Not that I'm overly bothered if it's nice.

Anyhew, have some of the mild cheese - excited to see if it melts. I could never get Redwood's to melt properly and I never really liked the taste.

(It's worrying this is the highlight of my day)

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Does anyone else get the feeling that these ​might be re-branded products (coconut milk might be Kara, cheese = sheese, yogurts/puddings = alpro)?
    I've heard rumours to this effect. There's no mild cheddar sheese though...

Quote Risker View Post
    I've heard rumours to this effect. There's no mild cheddar sheese though...
    Good point, I found it slightly suspicious that they are 227grams, which is the same as Sheese

Not real name!

227 grams is just half a pound though. A common weight.

The creamy ones are all 255g, same as sheese.

Don't taste like sheese - although had mild one - so guess that's not overly helpful - sorry

Bute Island have just sent me an email newsletter saying they have developed the soya cheeses that Tesco are selling!

^ I just got that email too.

Greetings from Bute Island Foods !

You previously contacted us to enquire about our 100% dairy-free, Vegan cheese alternatives: Sheese & Creamy Sheese, and we thought you might be interested to hear some exciting news....

We are delighted to now be manufacturing a range of cheese alternatives for Tesco as part of their newly extended Free From products.
    Look out for the new Soya Mild & Soya Medium cheese that really melts, and 4 types of Creamy cheese spreads including the new Sweet Chilli style.
    These products are also free from palm oil (made using Coconut Oil) & only contain Natural Flavours.

All the products in the Free From range are Dairy, Gluten & Wheat free and of course, all of the cheese alternatives are 100% Vegan.

The initial launch was on 20th Feb in 180 Tesco stores nationwide (please see the attached list for details) and we understand that there will be a 3 for 2 promotion this week across the range.
    We are really pleased that Tesco have recognised the need for alternative, allergy free products and we hope you will enjoy eating them!
    Please let us what you think and tell all your friends .

Best wishes from all the Bute Island Foods team,
    It appears they have introductory prices rather than a 3 for 2.

bet they wont have them in my pokey little store... i'll look tomorrow when we do the weekly shop. thanks for the info

^ Nut_cutlet posted a link that tells you all the stores that stock the new range - http://www.tescorealfood.com/Media/d...3db8506b-0.pdf

I will have to travel 20 miles to the Swansea Extra store, as neither my local (Ammanford) or next nearest (Llanelli) stores are on the list of stockists of this new range.

Probably won't go out of my way as the only Bute Island Sheese I like is the Blue Style, which tastes just like Blue Stilton, and I can get that from Aardvark Wholefoods of Carmarthen, who do local deliveries free of charge for £15.00 minimum orders.

Having tried all the Vegourmet and Vegusto hard cheeses, the only one I would buy again is Vegourmet's Montanero. I did like Vegusto's Piquant as well, but I am not prepared to pay the ridiculous price for such a small pack size.

Not real name!

I'm just enjoying the garlic and herb 'cheese' spread. Not bad. Cheaper than previously posted too.

We have a £5 off if you spend £40 voucher so I think we might have to try some of the new range! Very exciting, and glad that it's being stocked in the Hove branch (though really, it would be quite silly if they didn't...!)

has anyone had the plain cream cheese? what's it like? i've been wanting to try vegan cream cheese for ages but it's so expensive in health food shops. i'm just preparing a list for when i make the trek to the nearest tesco that stocks this range..........

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ Nut_cutlet posted a link that tells you all the stores that stock the new range - http://www.tescorealfood.com/Media/d...3db8506b-0.pdf
    Thanks for link, i looked tonight, they don't have any :-(

Just tried the medium cheese (the orange one). Although it's made by Bute Island it's not the same as sheese at all, much softer and a milder flavour I think. I'll be trying it later on a pizza to see how melty it really is. My impression so far though is that I think I'll stick with sheese.

The soya spread is good, not much more to say about that.

I also had a cherry yoghurt, they taste a bit watery and there's a very subtle but odd flavour to them as well.

Of the things I've tried so far, I'd say they're okay, but nothing special.

I was in a Tesco today that is NOT on the list of branches stocking these products but they still had a couple of them in (Soya milk & 1 Cheese Spread) so maybe they will be having a few in other shops as well.

Just had the medium cheddar in a toasted sandwich with tomato and it does melt really well, it also tastes nicer imho as the flavour seems stronger when cooked.

Not real name!

My non-vegan partner said that, in her opinion, the medium cheddar tasted a lot like proper cheese. I thought that it tasted odd but she is insistent. I guess that a taste win then.

However, we both agreed that Cheesley or whatever it's called is better on pizza.

The garlic & herb cream cheese is identical to sheese.

Ah, that's good news, Firestorm. I'd like to try the spread. I hope some of the stores around here will get it as well.

The Tesco Extra next door to me has stopped stocking Cheezley. Unfortunately the Stafford store isn't on the list, but the Stoke store is. It fails to mention which Stoke store though, as there are a few. It's 16 miles away, but would be worth a trip to stock up on a few things.