Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New range at Tesco

Default Re: New range at Tesco

I bought some of the soft cheese spread that they're stocking in our tesco now () and i have to confirm that it is lovely (had it spread on ryvita with cucumber on top). I shall be buying that again for sure.

Quote Frosty View Post
    The Tesco Extra next door to me has stopped stocking Cheezley. Unfortunately the Stafford store isn't on the list, but the Stoke store is. It fails to mention which Stoke store though, as there are a few. It's 16 miles away, but would be worth a trip to stock up on a few things.
    I think Tesco have de-listed Redwood products

I trawled through the 2 Tescos in Liverpool centre and managed to find the Creamy Garlic & Herb spread in one shop and the Cheddar style spread in the other, can't wait to try them (although they are far higher in saturated fat that Sheese)

I tried the cheddar style the other day. Gack!!! Straight in the bin.

My nearest Extra tesco store in Great Yarmouth is selling the whole range and I brought both the mild cheese and the medium and the garlic/herb soft cheese. I just had the mild cheese on pizza and I really loved it, melted really well and went really gooey like melted cheese. Really impressed, I can't believe tesco are selling it. I really hope they continue to sell it!

My veggie mum, who normally hates soya products and avoids them if at all possible, had second helpings of the garlic and herb spread! And my dad liked the plain spread.

I wasn't too keen on the creme-caramel as is, but it was really nice in some porridge along with a handful of frozen raspberries, it made a really luxurious-seeming breakfast.

All the Tesco stores near me are not on the list for selling this range, but im moving house in 4-6weeks and my new local store is listed, woohoo!! Really can't wait to try out this range!!

I tried putting the mild hard cheese on pizza today, yuckkkk! Think it's heading to the bin.

Can't see on the list any Tesco stocking this range round Belfast...

Shy to try cheese alternative, as I'm used to continental cheese ...

I just tried the cheddar spread and I really liked it, very reminiscent of dairylea in my opinion. After tying both the cheddar and the mild cheese, I prefer the mild one but both are really nice. I've been eating cheese on toast continuously for weeks now!

To Bjorn-
    In my experience it's best to wait a while before trying vegan cheese, to give your tastebuds time to adjust so that you're not expecting an exact replica of dairy cheese. That said I've heard the closest to dairy cheese is Vegusto, personally, after seven and a half years of veganism, I think it's disgusting. My favourite is Sheese for sandwiches and Tesco for pizzas and cheese on toast.

Thanks Enchantress,
    I'm used to strong cheese, and very various ones, so not expecting a specific flavour as such (I'm very curious about new flavours anyway), but might be expecting the strong taste continental cheese usually have and therefore might indeed be disappointed,
    I will follow your advice and just wait before trying anything...
    apart may be parmazano I already have in my kitchen! on soya protein might be very nice...

Quote Enchantress View Post
    To Bjorn-
    In my experience it's best to wait a while before trying vegan cheese, to give your tastebuds time to adjust so that you're not expecting an exact replica of dairy cheese.
    I couldn't agree more, when I first tasted Vegan cheese about 3 months after becoming vegan I thought it was awful (like mouldy socks - it was Redwoods cheddar) but I have found that the longer I am Vegan the more I like it.

Quote Enchantress View Post
    That said I've heard the closest to dairy cheese is Vegusto, personally, after seven and a half years of veganism, I think it's disgusting.
    I couldn't disagree more, I love Vegusto

@Bjorn - There is quite a good "cheese" review here: http://lustrousmusings.blogspot.co.u...e-roundup.html

As I've probably said loads of times before, I think Vegusto is a bit reminiscent of Swiss cheese (not surprisingly as it's Swiss) so Bjorn might like it, provided he doesn't expect it to be identical with gruyere etc.

Sheese is the one I can't get on with although I did buy some cream cheese in a tub that wasn't too bad.

Firestorm, it's possible that the products have improved since you went vegan as well as you getting less picky

Sorry, duplicate post

Thanks guys for all the help! (sorry I'm taking this thread a bit off topic)

I can try those products for what they are but shouldn't expect them to be like cheese
    If they do , great! if not, well a new flavour in my flavour experience list!

I'm from a very cheese liking country which got some of the strongest cheese possible, and I really doubt (and the link you gave us Firestorm just confirms it) anything on the market right now can get to those flavours... (but then I will let you know my thoughts about Vegusto, if I get it one day)

I've tried the nutritional yeast but it's not like grated cheese indeed, I prefer to take it as a nutritional supplement or well mixed into something else, the parmazano Free From Diairy is good, so will stick to it, but that's about it for now, I better take any "fake" cheese with open mindness, with curiosity without trying to compare, if I get a chance to get my hands on at a later stage.

Anyway for any flavour I might be "loosing" in turning vegan, I'm finding new beloved flavours,

Funny enough my other half (not veg at all) really like the nutritional yeast over soya protein or meat mince!

My verdict on the Tesco Natural Soya Yogurt, stick with Alpro - far nicer!

I tried the raspberry jelly which was really nice and it has quite a few raspberries sitting in the top. I'm quite fond of the creme caramels but I've never tried non vegan creme caramel anyway! After eating the cheddar style spread a few times, I've gone off it a bit, it has a quite sweet taste at first which is a bit off putting. The garlic and herb one is flawless though. The chocolate shake deserts in the triangle things are mediocre in taste.
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Quote Slinki_malinki View Post
    My verdict on the Tesco Natural Soya Yogurt, stick with Alpro - far nicer!
    That's interesting, I preferred the Tesco stuff. I found it less vanilla and more tangy. The texture needed a good stir though.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

The cheese spread was revolting! I have the medium red hard cheese and it's bearable...just. The Creme caramels are quite nice. Don't know how well the range will do because in my local Tesco they had about 100 packs of the dairy free margarine on the shelf, which I would have bought one of, but they were going out of date in less than a week!

I like the caramels aswell. I use the Free From sweetened soya milk found in the chilled cabinet, I think it was just their original soya milk and they've just changed the packaging.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

The only thing I have tried from the new range is the Creme Caramel, as I don't live near a Tesco and I happened to be visiting my parents a while ago and managed to persuade my Mum to take me to their Tesco for me to find these wee gems! Oh my goodness me how lovely are they? A treat from my childhood, I give this version the major thumbs-up! Consistency and flavour - top notch.

Obviously can't comment on the other items. Maybe next time I go to my parents, I can arrange a massive family taste test of all the items from the range... I'll be doing it all for you guys.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote pusskins View Post
    Obviously can't comment on the other items. Maybe next time I go to my parents, I can arrange a massive family taste test of all the items from the range... I'll be doing it all for you guys.
    That's the kind of selfless bravery that I like

More branches seem to be getting these products in, I found almond milk, creme caramel, cheddar spread and raspberry yoghurts in my local this morning and a FB friend found some in her local Tesco too

We've finally started to see the start of the free-from range here! I saw the raspberry and passion fruit soya yoghurt, sweetened and unsweetened soya milk, almond milk and chocolate desserts. I got the almond milk and yoghurts. The first thing I noticed when I got home was that they're not fortified with vitamin D. The yoghurt was nice but I haven't tried the almond milk yet. I also noticed that the Alpro almond milk has gone up in price which I suspect is to make the almond one look cheaper than it is!

Yeah I got a new free-from choccie bar in our local Tesco last night. Didn't see any of the other new stuff though. Which Tesco do you use Blueberries?
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I sent you a PM
    Houmous atá ann!

As a new vegan (and new on here today ) I thought the cheese was rank, I never throw anything but that went in the bin but as prev posted maybe because It expected something too similar to dairy :/ I can live without cheese though its not the end of the world im sure. The creme caramel on the other han are lovely

Quote Blueberries View Post
    We've finally started to see the start of the free-from range here! I saw the raspberry and passion fruit soya yoghurt, sweetened and unsweetened soya milk, almond milk and chocolate desserts. I got the almond milk and yoghurts. The first thing I noticed when I got home was that they're not fortified with vitamin D. The yoghurt was nice but I haven't tried the almond milk yet. I also noticed that the Alpro almond milk has gone up in price which I suspect is to make the almond one look cheaper than it is!
    The Free From range showed up as well here (Belfast) and I had a taste to the Mango soy yoghurt, so delicious! I'm glad to see those nature soy yoghurts too, I could get them only at Saintbury's till now. Hope it tastes ok.

Stafford has it now. The cheese is much nicer than Cheezley. We also liked the chocolate and fruit yogurts.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Yup, sheese IS much nicer than cheezly.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

*Not read all previous posts just my opinion

I noticed they don't seem to include vitamin D or B12 in the milks and yoghurts which I feel is poor as I like those two vitamins added for reassurance I'm not going to die from malnutrition. I'm not sure if this is just the Tesco website not declaring those two vitamins or if that is actually the case!

I like the mild cheese though, I had it on toast and the creme brulee is nice.

If they start making gluten free dairy free egg free alternativies in the freezer I'll be happy as then I'll have something to "take" with me every Sunday.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I really like the cream cheese style spreads, normally get the plain so it's more versatile but the sweet chilli is good too.

Agree on the mango yogurt, yum!! I thought the creme caramels were ok but a bit too sickly sweet and artificial tasting. Perhaps nice for something different now and again though.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Quote Ribbon View Post
    I thought the creme caramels were ok but a bit too sickly sweet and artificial tasting. Perhaps nice for something different now and again though.
    I was thinking about using the creme caramel in a banoffee pie (my theory being that Carnation have a caramel condensed milk which is supposed to be good for making banoffee pie but its obviously not vegan, but maybe creme caramel would be good too?)

^Can't see how it wouldn't work! Nom nom nom...

With peppermint chocolate shavings on top to boot. Double nom nom nom.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

^ Or with peanut butter somehow incorporated too. Yum! Bananas, peanut and toffee..what's not to love about that??
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I was thinking about using the creme caramel in a banoffee pie (my theory being that Carnation have a caramel condensed milk which is supposed to be good for making banoffee pie but its obviously not vegan, but maybe creme caramel would be good too?)
    I've made one for dessert tonight, its 2 Fox's Munch Golden biscuits crushed to make a base, banana, melted Creme Caramel and Soyatoo Coconut Whipp. Definitely works well

I've also been eating the Free From Medium "Cheese" lately and I think its really good - far better than cheezly

I just made a great dessert with the Tesco Creme Caramel - put a slit in the lid, shove a plastic fork/lolly stick through, freeze and then you have a creme caramel ice lolly.