Thread: Project Nim

Default Project Nim

EDIT:: SORRY!! Meant to put this in the Movies Section. Sorry for putting it here.

During Psychology class this evening, one of the students started promoting the 2011 documentary: Project Nim, and stating how amazing and insightful it is. They completely condoned what had happened to the chimp, purely for humankind and couldn't speak highly enough of it. Project Nim tells the story of a chimpanzee taken from its mother at birth and raised like a human child by a family in a brownstone on the upper West Side in the 1970s. I thought it was disgusting and told them Earthlings was far more insightful viewing.

(Here's a link about Nim Chimpsky and Project Nim: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim_Chimpsky)
    Last edited by verdeleaf; Feb 28th, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Default Re: Project Nim

Haven't watched, don't think I will. I will probably get angry and shout.

From wiki though the bit that upsets me the most after being raised like a human child, Nim was transferred to an animal research lab then pharmaceutical lab!

I'm not an expert in psychology by any stretch but - If we compare the linguistic ability of children raised in a loving caring home to those who go without - to a set age then it's more likely the loved child will have a better language ability.
    If the humans raising Nim where able to see him taken to an animal testing facility afterwards this insinuates a lack of love and care.

My two pence anyhew.