Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ways to help the environment

BlackDog

Default Re: Responsible veganism - Ways to help the environment

Quote Robert View Post
    The demand for soya has gone up dramatically in recent years and soya bean fields/plantations are now a growing threat to natural habitats around the world.
    I think that the amount of soy eaten by people is pretty insignificant compared to the amount used for animal feed.

nervine

Default Re: Ways to help the environment

FREE-ENERGY TECHNOLOGIES
    by Robert E. McElwaine

For decades, the various energy companie$ have been COLLUDING with each other, [and probably also with the national and international banker$, governments, news media, "scientific" establishment, and "education" systems], to successfully ignore or even SUPPRESS several kinds of "FREE- Energy" technology. Government intervention is needed to stimulate research, development, and mass production of these technologies.

Free-Energy devices probably do not create energy, but rather tap into EXISTING natural energy sources by various forms of induction. Unlike solar or wind devices, they need little or no storage capacity, because they can tap as much energy as needed whenever needed.

For example, at least three U.S. patents (#3,811,058, #3,879,622, and #4,151,431) have so far been awarded for motors that run EXCLUSIVELY on PERMANENT MAGNETS, apparently tapping into energy circulating through the Earth's magnetic field. The first two require a feedback network in order to be self-running. The third one, as described in detail in "Science & Mechanics" magazine, Spring 1980, ("Amazing Magnet-Powered Motor", by Jorma Hyypia, pages 45-48, 114-117, and front cover), requires critical sizes, shapes, orientations, and spacings of magnets, but no feedback. Such a motor could drive an electric generator or reversible heatpump in one's home, year round, FOR FREE. [Complete descriptive copies of U.S. patents are $3.00 each from the U.S. Patent Office, 2021 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA 22202; correct 7-digit patent number required. Or try getting copies of BOTH the article AND the Patents via your local public or university library's inter-library loan dept..]

A second type of Free-Energy device, such as the "Gray Motor" (U.S. Patent #3,890,548), the Tesla Coil, and the unpatented motor of inventor Joseph Newman, taps electro- magnetic energy by induction from "Earth resonance" (about 12 cycles per second).

During the 1930's, an Austrian civil engineer named Viktor Schauberger invented and partially developed an "IMPLOSION TURBINE" (German name, "ZOKWENDLE"). As described in the book "A BREAKTHROUGH TO NEW FREE-ENERGY SOURCES", by Dan A. Davidson, 1977, water is pumped by an IMPELLER pump through a LOGARITHMIC-SPIRAL-shaped coil of tubing until it reaches a CRITICAL VELOCITY. The water then implodes, no longer touching the inside walls of the tubing, and drives the pump, which then converts the pump's motor into an electric generator. The device seems to be tapping energy from that of the Earth's rotation, via the "Coriolis effect", LIKE A TORNADO. [And it can also NEUTRALIZE GRAVITY!]

A fourth type of Free-Energy device is the "McClintock AIR MOTOR" (U.S. Patent #2,982,261), which is a cross between a diesel engine (it has three cylinders with a compression ratio of 27 to 1) and a rotary engine (with solar and planetary gears). It burns NO fuel, but becomes self-running by driving its own air compressor. This engine also generates a lot of heat, which could be used to heat buildings. [David McClintock is also the REAL original inventor of the automatic transmission, differential, and 4- wheel drive.]

Crystals may someday be used to supply energy, as shown in the Star Trek shows, perhaps by bombarding them with a beam of particles from a small radioactive source.
    One other energy source should be mentioned here, despite the fact that it does not fit the definition of Free- Energy. A Bulgarian-born American Physicist named Joseph Maglich has invented and partially developed an atomic FUSION reactor which he calls "Migma", which uses NON-radioactive deuterium as a fuel [available in nearly UN-limited quantities from sea water], does NOT produce radioactive waste, can be converted DIRECTLY into electricity (without energy-wasting steam turbines), and can be constructed small enough to power a house or large enough to power a city or spaceship. And UN-like the "Tokamaks" and laser fusion monstrosities that we read about, Migma WORKS, already producing at least three watts of power for every watt put in. ["New Times" (U.S. version), 6-26-78, pages 32-40.]

Free-Energy technology is in much the same situation now as aviation was ninety years ago. At that time, everybody "knew" that a heavier-than-air machine could not possibly fly. It would violate the "Laws" of physics. All the "experts" and "authorities" said so. Most present "experts" and "authorities" today say the same things about Free-Energy technology. Now we take airplanes for granted (except when they crash). But Free-Energy technology has the added problem of some very powerful VE$TED INTERE$T$, who are trying to prevent its use by means of such tactics as the FALSE ISSUE of "perpetual motion", wide publicity of hoaxes, and even VIOLENCE against the inventors.

In terms of economics, the market has FAILED. Inventors do not have enough money and other resources to fully develop and mass-produce Free-Energy equipment, and the conventional energy producer$ have no desire to do so. The government is needed to intervene. If the government does not intervene, then the total supply of energy resources from the Earth will continue to decline and will soon run out, prices for energy will increase, and POLLUTION and its harmful effects (including the "GREENHOUSE EFFECT") will continue to increase.

The government should SUBSIDIZE research and development by Inventors and universities, subsidize private production (until the producers can make it on their own), and subsidize consumption by low-income consumers of Free-Energy hardware.
    The long-range effects of such government intervention would be wide-spread and profound. The quantity of energy demanded from conventional energy producer$ (coal mining companie$, oil companie$ and countries, electric utilitie$, etc.), would drop to near zero, forcing their employees to seek work elsewhere. Energy resources (coal, uranium, oil, and gas) would be left in the ground. Prices for conventional energy supplies would also drop to near zero, while the price of Free-Energy equipment would start out high but drop as supply increases (as happened with VCR's, personal computers, etc.). Costs of producing products that require large quantities of energy to produce would decrease, along with their prices to consumers. Consumers would be able to realize the "opportunity costs" of paying electric utility bill$ or buying home heating fuel. Tourism would benefit and increase because travelers would not have to spend their money for ga$oline for their cars. Government tax revenue from gasoline and other fuels would have to be obtained in some other way. AND ENERGY COULD NO LONGER BE USED AS A MOTIVE OR EXCUSE FOR MAKING WAR.

Many conventional energy producer$ would go out of bu$ine$$, but society as a whole would benefit greatly. It is the People that government should serve, rather than the big corporation$ and bank$.

UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT Information is ENCOURAGED.

Robert E. McElwaine B.S., Physics, UW-EC

i've looked up one of the patents and it does exist, this is no joke

most of the things i try to do have been already said... i´m a bit late.... =)
    but, anyway, this is my contribution: i talk to teachers and ask them if i can present my lab reports using any kind of digital document thing (word, adobe, whatever). this saves a lot of paper. and if they say no, i ask them if i can use both sides of a sheet, so i that i can use less paper... they usually are friendly and eco-friendly, so give it a try.
    besides, i try to literally explode every single notebook, sheet of paper, notepads, etc., and use the until no more writing fits in.
    nice thread!

I was in the co-op this morning and saw a sign at the desk with the aim of encouraging people to reuse plastic carrier bags. It was saying how a minke whale was washed up on the shore of Normandy in 2002. It had 800kg of plastic bags in its stomach After reading that I said I didn't need a bag and carried out my 2 purchased items. I do try to reuse bags and keep a stack of them in the boot of the car but my problem is I'm so forgetful and I usually don't remember them until I'm at the checkout. What do others do with regard to reusing bags?

i bring my own bags - i have a woven jute bag from Out of this World, and a big one with daisys on that i picked up in a charity shop - i just carry them to Sainsburys and fill them up! when im shopping in the city i take a large-ish shoulder bag thats big enough to hold any clothes/food/CDs. If i do end up with carrier bags i use them as sadwich bags.

BlackDog

Quote stumbleine View Post
    i try to literally explode every single notebook, sheet of paper, notepads, etc., and use the until no more writing fits in.
    nice thread!
    People used to totally fill a page when writing a letter and then turn it 90 degrees and fill the page again by writing over the top of the original writing.
    It was easy to read as the eyes just pick up what makes sense.

Try it next time you have a report to hand in. Tell 'em I said it was OK!

-print on both sides of paper for school things (unfortunately my schools makes us print a LOT of things)
    -use a canvas bag for groceries
    -use an old jam glass jar for a water bottle
    -recycle!
    -i don't have a car, i walk to school, groceries, etc... when i go places in a car there are 4 or 5 of us
    -dont wash pants or jackets very often
    -always use cold water with the washing machine
    -at home, i dried everthing outside... i cant do that at school though
    -take v. short showers
    -don't use air conditioning or heating (yay california!)
    -lights off unless i need em
    -at home, i have some energy saving light bulbs... i really should make the switch to all of them though...

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I do try to reuse bags and keep a stack of them in the boot of the car but my problem is I'm so forgetful and I usually don't remember them until I'm at the checkout. What do others do with regard to reusing bags?
    I have the same problem with forgetting to bring my own bags Maisiepaisie, I'd loose my head if it wasn't screwed on

wrt reusing bags, i take my stash of old carrier bags to my local health food shop who hand them customers who've forgotten to bring a bag. Also some charity shops reuse carrier bags so that may be worth a try
    when everything changes...change everything

I work in retail and I don't offer bags to customers unless they ask. What's been really great is for the last week we've been run out of bags (someone forgot to order them), so I've had none to give anyway!

I just got a new reel mower. I had one before, but got a better model. It's fun to use and safe. You can't mow tall things, but as long as we do it every week and pull weeds, we're good. I'm also about to get a rechargable electric cordless weed whacker. I read that running a rotary mower for an hour creates the amount of emissions as a car driving 100 miles! It's also much safer.

I also just got this washing machine (on clearance $220, + $80 2 year warranty from Lowe's as it was used; new is $599). It works like a sideloader, but has quick cycles that work like a top loader if you need to hurry. It only uses 213kw hours a year! Wonderful thing, so many features.

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I do try to reuse bags and keep a stack of them in the boot of the car but my problem is I'm so forgetful and I usually don't remember them until I'm at the checkout. What do others do with regard to reusing bags?
    could you keep a bag or two folded down real small in your handbag maisie?

i was the same at first but now i've got into the pattern of getting them out of the boot everytime. i have been using the extra strong plastic bags you pay for and then the store replaces them free of charge when the handle breaks or they rip, and they recycle them. i'm doing this while i build up a stock of material ones to use.

my problem is bin liners. i kept a load of regular plasic bags to line my bins with but they still go onto landfill eventually although i generally empty the bin contents into the big dustbin and reuse the bag till its sticky and smelly and needs to be thrown. what to do about bins liners??

also i empty the cat litter into bags to dispose of it, what could i do here?

I used to be forgetful about grocery bags too, but I got better about it the more I did it. Now, it's second nature to open the boot of the car and get the bags out every time I park.

I use degradable bin liners. I used to get them from Tesco, but couldn't find any last time I looked, so I bought a year's supply from an online store.

i use degradable bin liners too, i think Sainsburys sell some, although i bought some from Lakeland a couple of years ago and as i don't throw much away i still have a lot left.

you can buy smaller degradable bags for emptying cat litter into (my health food shop sells some), or Co-op and Somerfield both give away biodegradable bags at the checkout so if you ever shop in either of those you can get some for free
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

If you have a yard, you can also build (or buy) and underground composter. This is what we do with our 6 litter box scoopings. I dug a hole about 5 feet deep, and cut the bottom half of a garbage can off and put it in the hole. Now I just lift the lid, and dump the contents. We have lots of little grub there now, and the grub encourage the neighborhood chickens to scratch around our yard and help fertilize the plants. I need to run to the garden store, though, because I need to get some enzymes to help the decomposition.

Pilaf

I'm taking the initiative in forming a local group called "The Planeteers". Our goals are to recycle whenever possible, and to set a positive example which will possibly inspire others.

sugarmouse

I try to recycle whenever possible, have energy savin lightbulbs, and if i forget carrier bags when i am driving to shopping, i make myself just put the stuff in the car boot straight from the trolley lol
    I alwys re use things if poss (plastic containers etc) and I use my old magazine/newspapers as lining for my pet cages. I buy things second hand if I have the choice at all, I try to live pretty simply.

At the moment I:
    • Recycle where possible (less landfills being filled)
    • Bio-degradable products (bags, toiletries etc)
    • Public Transport
    • Turn off stand-by etc
    • Vegan, of course!
    • Organic
    • Buy recycled products!
    • Make the margin smaller when printing. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote BlackDog View Post
    People used to totally fill a page when writing a letter and then turn it 90 degrees and fill the page again by writing over the top of the original writing.
    It was easy to read as the eyes just pick up what makes sense.

Try it next time you have a report to hand in. Tell 'em I said it was OK!
    i used to do that on my exams until a teacher of mine got mad because he couldn't find "second parts" (ahem, i write a lot when i don't know if i'm making them get what i'm saying ) and told me that i had no points because my answers were incomplete....
    but i'll try to organize my writting and get my habit back.....

Hm, this thread could use some updates.

I mentioned before that I've started using a reel mower, and it's going really well. In fact, I just had the forst cut after winter, and it even cut down things almost a foot tall! Plus, instead of using a weed wacker for extra tall & think weeds, I've found long-handled grass shears for about $30. Here's where I bought my mower, and they also sell composters.

I've replaced my self-made litter scooping composter with a Doggie Dooley (the extra large one) and it's working quite well. You just have to bee sure to add water every time you add stool, and add the emzymes every week. It comes with a year's worth of enzymes, but I've found that Petsmart acually carries them!

Reusable Bags is an excellent website for reusable comtainers. They have stainless steel water bottles, aluminum square containers (to replace tubberware-types things) and even little washable sandwich wraps (although they contain plastic on the inside). Of course, they also have tons of kinds of reusable shopping bags to choose from.

And Planet Natural is my new favorite gardening store. They have all sorts of home and garden odds and ends. The regular composter I bought there is made out of recycled plastic, and works very well.

Petsmart sells these great Pooch Pads for doggy bathrooms or accidents. They are machine washable, and are supposed to last for 300+ washings. So far, mine have kept great. They reduce odor, and the odor doesn't last after you wash them. They dry fast, so you don't have to go too long without them.

http://www.goodcommonsense.net/ sells some great stuff. I'm planning on buying their recycled dustpans and natural brooms.

Okay, okay, I'm NOT a salesperson, I swear!! But I have more.

The last vacuum we bought is bagless, and it has a washable filter, so no more waste. I didn't even know they existed, but I think it's a great idea.

We still use line drying instead of a clothes dryer. It can be annoying, living in a place where it's always raining, but as long as your organized, you get used to throwing the clothing in first thing in the morning, so you can have them out on the line before work, or at lunch.

Recycline makes great recycled toothbrushes, razor handles, etc. and when you're done, you send them back to be recycled again.

My sister has used cloth diapers with all five of her kids. It seems like a hassle at first, but it seemed really easy once I watched her take care of it. I mean, you pretty much end up having to do wash every couple of days with many kids anyway. She also hang dried them.

Right now, I have to wait until I visit my parents 90 miles away before I can recycle most things, or buy recycled toilet paper because I can't get/do those things here. It's a bit of a pain to fill your car with glass and toilet paper!

I think I mentioned before, but for about $1 each, you can buy a switch to plug into any outlet, and you plus your device into it. That way, you can switch the power from any TVs, DVD players, etc. that may use standby power.

Compact flourescent light bulbs have come so far. Now I can find extra small ones to fit my ceiling fans, plus 3-way ones to fit in my very old bathroom fixture. They even have dimmable ones now!

Well, that's all for now. I apollogise, because my long post probably kept you on your computer 5 minutes longer, using up more energy!

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    Reusable Bags is an excellent website for reusable comtainers. They have stainless steel water bottles, aluminum square containers (to replace tubberware-types things) and even little washable sandwich wraps (although they contain plastic on the inside). Of course, they also have tons of kinds of reusable shopping bags to choose from.
    I love that website! I bought a really pretty red Sigg water bottle from there and have been using it every day for the past 2 years! Just think of all the plastic bottles that I haven't used because of it

Lately I've been looking more into water recycling. I eventually want to save up for rain barrels.

Right now, I'm attempting to fix the pipes under my new kitchen sink, so that I can turn a handle and have water drain into a large bucket under the sink, to use for gardening or whatever.

I'm going to buy one of these for the toilet. It's a really great idea. There are other models that route bathroom sink drainage to the toilet, but they are expensive, complicated, and bulky for my bathroom.

There's also a decive I've seen for sucking water out of a bathtub for gardening. Not quite sure how it works, though.

What's great is that Target is selling a lot more environmentally friendly products. Today, I got some organic cotton bedsheets on sale for when mine finish hitting the dust. (I mentioned them to my manager, in case she was interested, and she just went "Oh, I buy organic FOOD, not THINGS" in this condecending tone she uses when mantioning that I don't eat honey )

This semester, I bought biodegradable pens rather than the usual (I think the vegetarian shoes ones?), expecting them to not work as well, but they've held up wonderfully. Of course, recycled notebooks are easy to come by now. I love the Banana Paper brand.

That's all for now. Someone else should post for I don't feel like such a babbermouth!!

Quote Fruitbat View Post
    Are vegans more eco-friendly? I think the answer is obviously yes- as animal welfare anwareness goes hand in hand with eco-awareness.
    For me, this is true...but only after I became vegan did I research and develop a passion for doing all I can for the environment.

Quote Fruitbat View Post
    How many of you use your feet or bike instead of diriving - or if you have long distances public transport instead of private?
    I walk to classes on campus, work, friends apartments, the bars downtown, out to eat, etc... pretty much everything unless I must go home to see my parents over Christmas or summer break. Then I'm usually going with about three or four people. I haven't driven since the first week in january and probably won't until mid May.

Quote Fruitbat View Post
    How many of you recycle? How much do you recycle? Even kitchen waste?
    I recycle all plastic, paper, newspaper, cardboard, bottles, alum cans, etc at my apartment or on campus.

Quote Fruitbat View Post
    How many of you are water-savers and energy efficient light bulbs etc?
    I use some special lightbulbs (as in the ones I control in my lamps). The overhead ones and ones in the common area of my apartment are installed by my landlord previous to my moving in here. I save water when possible, but I do love my showers. I try to make them short as possible but to be honest, I don't sacrifice much in this area... it's great for my back pain and chronic sinusitis.

Quote Fruitbat View Post
    How many of you have veggie gardens of your own?
    I don't have my own garden, as I'm living in a second floor apartment on campus... surrounded by concrete. But I did get my mom to grow one in the summer for some of her veggies like tomatoes and squash.

Environmental people make me happy!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott