Thread: How people react when their meat is "slaughtered" right in front of them

Default How people react when their meat is "slaughtered" right in front of them

This is hilarious - just discovered on Youtube People would all become vegans in no time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUoCZ...aaRVAAAAAAAABg

Default Re: How people react when their meat is "slaughtered" right in front of them

Wow! Funny to see people's reactions when reality is right in front of them! Shows how easy it is to disconnect behind a supermarket shelf.

Default Re: How people react when their meat is "slaughtered" right in front of them

I can't see the link as I have a really slow connection but I feel compelled to post:

After seeing Kill It, Cook It, Eat It, I was amazed and astounded that some people who saw the animals being killed right in front of them, still chose to eat them... I didn't think this was possible.

But seeing actual footage of slaughterhouses, there are omnivores that probably still feel okay with the deaths.

I can understand denial (even blatant denial) but people who see slaughterhouse footage and are still okay with it, those are the people that I didn't even think existed, but they do.

I saw a small video once which had two guys outside of a steak house with two lovely steers. These two men said that these cows would be freshly killed and for half price of any meal inside the steak house. People gathered around because they wanted the half price meal, but the only ketch...you would have to kill the steers yourself. No one could do it, they all walked away. One plump man with a cowboy hat on claimed he was vegetarian after wanting the half price steers so badly then not wanting them after he found out the ketch.

Goes to tell you how much meat we would be eating as a society if we had to kill the animals ourselves.

I really think that the massive rise in careless meat consumption has a lot to do with the way in which most people, especially in the West, encounter animals in their daily lives - not as animals at all, just plastic-looking cuts of meat in chiller cabinets. People rarely encounter cows and pigs at all - they encounter beef or pork. These kind of demonstrations really illustrate vividly how alienated humans are from non-human animals. I have this theory that we could achieve a lot simply by insisting that people are eating cowburgers and pigchops. Maybe not, though - people get in enough of a strop about political correctness as it is.

Wouldn't turn the world upside down, of course, but it might reach a few people.
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye