Thread: Vegan bodybuilding

rattlehead1986

Default Vegan bodybuilding

Just decided to go vegan. Have been a long time "bodybuilder" and diet is of great importance to me. Would anyone happen to be able to share their meal plan with me so I can get an idea of what I need to do to get on a healthy vegan diet for building muscle? Cutting chicken and eggs out of my diet really has a huge ? over my head lol WHERE DO I START!?

Default Re: Vegan Bodybuilding

I'm not a body builder, but you could check out veganbodybuilding.com and videos like this.

Mike Mahler might be a good source for you, though he's more of a strength and conditioning guy than a bodybuilder.

In my view, protein gets too much credit for human growth. If you consider the facts that human milk is only around 7% protein and that a baby nearly triples its size in the first year (a growth no bodybuilder could ever duplicate unless they decided to get really fat instead), you'll realize that it's over-stressed.

Quote Nathuram View Post
    Okay that's so ignorant its just offensive. Protein is *Required* to build muscle. That is a long established scientific fact. The baby analogy is of no value.
    I didn't say protein wasn't required, I said it was overstressed. And, what I said about a baby and it's mother's milk wasn't an analogy. Nice ad hominem comment, though.

Nathuram, I wonder why you think vegan bodybuilders are at a disadvantage. I can't see any idea why considering all of the plant options for nutrients, even protein. I would imagine soy, beans/legumes and hemp could give you all the protein you would need.

Also out of all the pictures of vegan bodybuilders I've seen, none of them looked at a disadvantage. Wouldn't be able to point out a vegan body builder out of a line up, but then again I'm no expert.

I was wondering the same thing Cacique.
    Also I think plant protien sources are probably healthier than animal based ones.

I agree, Johnstuff. I think there's too much bad things in meat. Also the fact that meat is acidifying of the body, from what I've read on a few books it seems like abstaining from animal products would allow you to have a more alkalized body, which seems to allow for quicker recovery after a big work out.

That didn't necessarily have much to do with bodybuilding than with exercise in general. Also as for protein sources, I've read hemp is one of the best proteins for the human body, many useful nutrients that are hard to find in other foods are found in hemp, I think in bigger quantities as well.

I think a lot of people focus on eating meat and other animal based foods but don't realize that what's really needed is what those foods give you, and that can be obtained through plants.

Last edited by Risker; Mar 14th, 2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Double post

Quote Cacique View Post
    Also the fact that meat is acidifying of the body, from what I've read on a few books it seems like abstaining from animal products would allow you to have a more alkalized body
    What does this mean? I tried looking up acidic body and things but could only find websites run by quacks trying to sell things. Do you have a more informative site I could visit?

Basically there are foods that will throw the pH balance of your body out of whack.

This is a link from Wikipedia that talks about how the body works for balancing it's pH.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid%E2...se_homeostasis

I'm not an expert. I read about this stuff on the Thrive Diet book. I didn't really know what it was called, just googled "human body ph balance". In the Thrive Diet book by Brendan Brazier he talks about how by maintaining a good pH balance he was able to recover from his Triathlon training quicker, which allowed him to improve his performance.

Unfortunately I didn't get to read the whole book cause I got it from the library, maybe I'll check it out again later.

Beanstalk

I read somewhere that even omni body builders do not eat pig . I wonder why.

Quote Risker View Post
    What does this mean? I tried looking up acidic body and things but could only find websites run by quacks trying to sell things. Do you have a more informative site I could visit?
    When the body is too acidic, it starts to break down your bones as your body works harder to deal with the acidity. It's why milk is NOT a good source of calcium, because any calcium that milk has gets released in order to get rid of the excess acid.
    http://www.naturalhealthschool.com/pH-balance.html
    http://milk.elehost.com/html/why_doe...e_the_bon.html