Thread: Swansea help

Default Swansea help

Dear All

Moving to Swansea in a week. Having lived in woking for 10 years i kinda know where EVERYTHING vegan friendly is and the thought of moving away scares me.

I just wondered whether anyone could help me. If you know of/live in Swansea where is there to eat out? where can i buy ethical household stuff and women's stuff? where can i buy vegan food and booze?

All help would be much appreciated

Love Jen xx

Default Re: SWANSEA help

My folks lived there years ago; I can't recall anywhere apart from Govindas cafe which is run by Krshna devotees and they do some rather nice food. It's at 8 Craddock Street. http://www.govindasvegetarianrestaurant.org/

Default Re: SWANSEA help

Hi. I found this. It was posted on a veggie/vegan notice board in November but might provide you with useful contacts.

Calling All Vegans In Swansea
    Claire Hitchins and friends are starting up a new vegan group in Swansea. Primary interests will be Veganism, raw food and organic food. If you are interested in meeting with us please email me on claire_hitchins1974@hotmail.co.uk or telephone me on 07889 667453. We would like to know how many people would be interested in attending before we book a meeting room. Thanks very much.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Swansea help

thanks everyone, you've been really really helpful. seems like there's more for vegans in swansea than in woking! cheers xx

Swansea is indeed a great place to be--getting (vegan) essentials is no problem at all. My boyfriend lives in Swansea.

Croeso!

I love Swansea!
    I go there shopping all the time, but for clothes rather than vegan things.
    Ummm...
    There's a Holland and Barratt, lol.
    I helped out at the veggie roadshow and they gave us a vegan friendly places sheet (Which I've lost, sorry!) and it seemed that most places were just vegetarian friendly, ie. Greasy spoons that will make you a baked potato if you ask nicely enough.
    But there was a huge turn out at the roadshow and I know there's a ton of cool people in Swansea, you just need to explore a bit.
    Good luck!!!
    Tilly
    xxx

Wow, Tilly! Then that mean's there's a good chance our paths crossed last summer, since I was at the road show too.

Health and Herbs (located in Picton Arcade, I believe) is another good shop to get vegan things from--they also have a great selection on vitamins and supplements. Plus, the staff is very knowledgeable on things--including what products are vegan, if things aren't already labeled (which is rare).

Also, Tesco has a great selection of things that are vegan and organic, as does Sainsbury's (but Tesco's prices are cheaper).
    Last edited by Pisces; Jan 3rd, 2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: I may have mislead.

Ooooooh really? How cool!
    I was the tubby girl giving out leaflets and magazines btw
    I forgot about that shop! I got a ton of makeup from there, twas heaven for me!

I believe I do recall seeing a girl with red hair at the road show--that could've very well been you.

By the way, I LOVE your signature! How did you make it (the rainbow colours, I mean)?

Um, with a lot of time, patience, and sadness, lol.
    Goes a bit like this *choose font colour red, type P, font colour orange, type E, etc...*
    I don't have a life!

I live in Swansea, it's not the best place for veganism, but certainly not the worst. Govindas is great. The retreat is a lovely cafe too, it's vegetarian and vegan. There are a couple of swankier resturants that label vegan food too, but they're a bit out of my price range. There's the holland and barratt and another health food shop that have better choices. I noticed your post was back in January, have you moved yet? If so, I hope you like.

Govindas cheesecake rocks. Also there's a new place on the High Street called Veggie Heaven - it opened about a week ago. The Swansea Vegans group meets every month I think.

That's great, I can't believe I didn't notice it. Have you been there yet? I used to meet up with the Swansea vegans, but I had to stop going because it fell on a day when I have stuff on.

Yes I was in Swansea the other day - vegan sausage sandwich for £2! yum! and they had quiche and promised that cakes would follow..... yum.

Right, that's it, I must go there

WildWitch

I live in Neath near Swansea. Theres a nice health shop in the picton arcade, health and herbs i think its called, they do some nice stuff. Theres a nice clothes place called gringos that do fair trade stuff, i do pop in the retreat centre sometimes they do nice snacks and theres the environment centre where i work that has a coffee shop and sells a few vegan choc bars etc.

I do believe there is a vegan group but not sure they are still going or not.

"It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Hey I work at the Environment Centre too this is Sophie

WildWitch

Quote Stig View Post
    Hey I work at the Environment Centre too this is Sophie

Hi Sophie, nice to see you here, kept leaving my number for you at work. How are you? Tis me tina tuesday

Hey Tina, I think things go walkabout on that desk, we need another volunteer party

WildWitch

Iv not been around the environment centre for a while, not been too well but might be back after the school hols.

That's a shame, I hope you're okay x

WildWitch

Yeah thanks Stig, im getting there. What days you doing at EC now, might pop by and say hello.

sjbeale

This link might help, from the happy cow website (which is great, I should add!)
    http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/search...2&lon=-3.95477
    Cheers,
    Steve

This is the website I always refer to when I am going anywhere in Wales. It has not only several listings for the Swansea area, but also covers all the other areas/regions:

http://www.eatoutveganwales.org/

Quote BilTan View Post
    This is the website I always refer to when I am going anywhere in Wales. It has not only several listings for the Swansea area, but also covers all the other areas/regions:

http://www.eatoutveganwales.org/
    thanks for the link, very helpful Found some places in Caerphilly that I didn't know about