Thread: Olive oil alternatives

Beanstalk

Default Olive oil alternatives

I know olive oil contains no saturated fat and is ideal for pan frying, but it is a bit expensive so what about canola oil?

Default Re: Olive oil alternatives

Olive oil actually contains about 14% saturated fat, whereas canola oil (Rapeseed in the UK) contains 7% saturated fat. I canola for cooking and baking.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:
    Oil Saturated Fat Content (Values as weight percent (%) of total fat)
    Canola 7.365
    Coconut 86.500
    Corn 12.948
    Cottonseed 25.900
    Olive 13.808
    Palm 49.300
    Peanut 16.900
    Safflower (high oleic) 7.541
    Soybean 15.650
    Sunflower
    (<60%linoleic)

Beanstalk

Thanks for that. I was told about the wonders of olive oil a vegan gathering in Sydney once. (These happen on a regular basis). I won't be touching coconut or palm oil in future. Even if there was nothing nutritionally wrong with palm oil it is not very environmentally friendly. I like the look of sunflower oil with 60% linoleic acid, this being one of the essential fatty acids.

Coconut oil is really really good for you. It can strengthen your heart, even skin tone, reduce hair loss, improve energy, and do about a hundred other things. It is one of the healthiest oils to use. I highly recommend not giving it up. It is also better for sauteing than olive oil since it can be cooked at a higher temperature without going rancid.

Saturated fat content is not the only thing to look at in oils. Firstly, Olive oil is minimally processed so it has more nutrients than more processed oils (like canola). Also, olive oil has a superior ratio of Omega 3/ Omega 6 fatty acids than canola. You must also consider the different properties of oils. Olive oil has a relatively low smoke point (~380 degrees Fahrenheit), so it is best used in salads and some sautes where the oil does not get too hot. Canola oil can withstand much more heat so you can use it in stir frying, deep frying, roasting, etc.

I use olive oil (typically) on salads and pasta sauces. I use canola oil in baking and stir frying. There are other oils with better omega 3 content, like flax for instance, although the taste is a little iffy for me.

P.S.- the so-called tropical oils (coconut, palm) are high in saturated fat but studies have shown that they are healthy if used in moderation and as part of a heart-healthy diet (like the vegan diet!). The key for everything, I find, is moderation and reading lots about nutrition!

Coconut oil is fantastic for health. Yes, it's high in saturated fat, but it is like avocado and macadamia - a healthy fat that is easily absorbed and utilized by the body. I use olive oil, coconut oil and rice bran oil ( great for baking as it's virtually flavourless).