Thread: Vitamin B12 in Tempeh

Question Vitamin B12 in Tempeh

Recently I watched a video showing how to make a stew with tempeh (which is made of soy). The woman in it said in the beginning that it's very healthy and even contains vitamin B12.
    As a vegan I found this very odd. I was under the impression that no plant food contained this vitamin. I thought maybe she meant iron or some other vitamin. But today I checked this website: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4381/2
    It says that there is 2% of this vitamin per cup.
    Was anyone aware of this?
    I don't understand it... does anyone else know how to explain this?

Thanks

Default Re: Vitamin B12 in Tempeh

It could be fortified just like soy milk.

I agree, it's probably fortified. It's a bit strange though, as you would expect them to use the brand name (e.g. "ACME Lotus Tempeh") instead of the generic product ("tempeh") since the amount of fortified vitamins could be different between brands.

Can't B12 be found in yeasts?

Edit: Actually, no, that's fortified too.

Wikipedia says its because the starter culture contains bacteria that creates b12:

"In traditional tempeh making shops, the starter culture often contains beneficial bacteria that produce vitamins such as B12[5][6] (though it is uncertain whether this B12 is always present and bio-available).[7] In western countries, it is more common to use a pure culture containing only Rhizopus oligosporus which makes very little B12 and could be missing Klebsiella pneumoniae which has been shown to produce significant levels of B12 analogs in tempeh when present. Whether these analogs are true, bio-available B12, hasn't been thoroughly studied yet.[8] The fermentation process also reduces the phytic acidin soy [9] which in turn allow the body to absorb all the minerals that soy provides."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Wikipedia says its because the starter culture contains bacteria that creates b12:
    Right, so it's a kind of fortification. Anyway, the amount listed in the link in the OP is rather small (0.1 micrograms per cup), so it's not enough on it's own. There is also some doubt about its bioavailability and not all types of tempeh is made with that particular culture. I'd rather consume other fortified foods where I could feel more confident that the B12 was bioavailable.

I get artisan tempeh from a guy here in Florida. From his website, it says that B vitamins (he does not specify B12) are formed by the bacteria in the culture when it is air dried, so factory made tempeh would not have this naturally made B vitamins.

Like others have said above the B12 is arguable, and it's always recommended to take it from a supplement. Even if it has B12, it seems like they're not sure if it's the kind easily absorbed.

Apparently Red Bull has 1000% RDA B12 - I'm not sure Red Bull is vegan but found it interesting.

1000% RDA B12
    That doesn't sound like a good idea at all!

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...rdose-megadose

Right, so it's a kind of fortification. Anyway, the amount listed in the link in the OP is rather small (0.1 micrograms per cup), so it's not enough on it's own. There is also some doubt about its bioavailability and not all types of tempeh is made with that particular culture. I'd rather consume other fortified foods where I could feel more confident that the B12 was bioavailable.
    More about tempeh here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...eh-contain-B12

Quote Korn View Post
    That doesn't sound like a good idea at all!
    I wasn't suggesting everyone go out and drink a can of Red Bull a month Just found it interesting.

I know. But some years ago, many users and manufacturers of B12 supplements thought that there would never be any side effects or increased health risks involved intaking almost any amount of B12, so I think it's worth posting some reminders now and then about the findings claiming the opposite - including an association between too high (or low) B12 intake and increased cancer risk.

Quote Niccie View Post
    Apparently Red Bull has 1000% RDA B12 - I'm not sure Red Bull is vegan but found it interesting.
    It is vegan but I would rather go without than drink red bull. I know some people who drink it every day, they must be getting massive doses of b12.

Quote Firestorm View Post
    It is vegan but I would rather go without than drink red bull. I know some people who drink it every day, they must be getting massive doses of b12
    I'm the same - a lot of crap to put in your body at once!