Thread: Organic tofu really organic????

Default Organic tofu really organic????

Just got a reply from a company that sells organic tofu here in the uk saying their soy beans are from China.....I was a bit baffled as the words "organic" and "China" dont go together in my dictionary...
    I am pretty sceptic as I know too much about China,Chinese Culture,Chinese government and their farming practices....I read that China is now becoming one of the biggest suppliers of organically grown food since there is a high demand from European companies.but who really checks if they are doing their job correctly and stick to European standards when it comes to organic farming?apart from the fact that China is the most polluted country in the world (they can't even see the blue sky in most parts of China)...I work with lots of Chinese people and they confirmed to me a lot of my suspicions that in China profit comes first and then maybe sticking to rules that most of the Chinese farmers don't consider as very important anyway...they probably think those crazy Westerners are a bit ocd when it comes to food...that might sound horrible now but that is just the way it is over there.so how do I really know that those soy beans are organic????

Default Re: Organic tofu really organic????

I don't know, but there are a lot of Chinese people so perhaps some of them do take organic growing seriously, just as some of them are interested in animal welfare

There seem to be one or two websites about organic certfication e.g. http://www.ecocert.cn/english/page_s...how=593&lvid=2 Perhaps you can find something out there?

Default Re: Organic tofu really organic????

I don't think it can be. The organic certification boards that operate in the UK don't operate outside the EU and they would require the raw ingredients to be certified. If it's the finished product that comes from China then who knows, if they make it in the UK then I'm pretty sure it's not.

Organic certification is a nightmare, it's meant to be legally protected but loads of companies ignore that and it varies across the world.