Thread: Day 3 of going vegan - detoxing?

Default Day 3 of going vegan - detoxing?

Hello everyone I'm excited to be part of this forum and learning lots as I explore my vegan journey. I'm day 3 of being vegan, and I've woken this morning with horrible stomach cramps. Is this my body starting to detox? I was consuming dairy and eggs (but not meat) before I decided to be a vegan, so can I expect some upsets in my body now until I adjust?

Thankyou!

Default Re: Day 3 of going vegan - detoxing?

Hi Nadia! I went vegan cold tofu from a straight up meat eater. The first week I got so many cramps! I think it had to do with the detox and with the much higher fiber content of the food I was eating. I also got headaches. And even though I immediately felt more energetic, I had trouble sleeping. I think it had to do with detoxing. I even had nightmares the first week, even though I hadn't had those in years. Just clearing out all the old junk I suppose. I was cathartic mentally as well as physicaly.

But I am going two weeks strong and it has all passed. I feel better than ever! I feel lighter, my system moves more smoothly, and my joint aches and pains have greatly reduced. I always thought that I was sensitive to gluten, but it turns out it was realy dairy that was the problem. Once I got rid of that, I haven't felt bloated since.

Good luck, and congrats on making the change!

You could try cutting back on fibre temporarily to give yourself a chance to adjust if you're eating extra fruit and veg (as is likely). White bread and pasta instead of wholemeal - OK, they're not as nice, but it's only a transitional thing.

I find rice and oats have a calming effect on the innards too.

Any sort of abrupt change in diet is going to cause a upset to the flora in your gut. Ginger and peppermint may be helpful for your transition. You can find herbal teas with these as ingredients, but some prefer to eat candied ginger.