Thread: what are the pros and cons of eating soy

kena

Default what are the pros and cons of eating soy

I tend to eat a lot of meatless items that are made primarily with soy. What are the pros and cons of consuming a lot of soy products?

Default Re: what are the pros and cons of eating soy

Hi, there are a few threads about soy that may answer your question, such as this one http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...oy-good-or-bad (the links in it may be useful to you too).

Personally I'm not especially worried about soy in traditional forms such as tofu, but I think it's preferable to avoid eating too many highly-processed foods such as fake meats. My understanding is that the healthiest diets are those that focus on naturally occurring foods such as vegetables, beans and grains.

I am in Harpy's camp in that I think that processed not-meats are okay for a rare treat but that one's diet should consist of whole foods whenever possible. I also think it's okay for brand new vegans to use them during their transition phase.

On the topic of soy in general you can find many soy hate sites where much ink is spilled on the dangers of soy. In light of the broad range of studies done on soy it doesn't appear to be particularly harmful. As most things go it looks like moderation is key. You probably shouldn't be eating soy at every meal, but as part of a balanced diet of diverse foods it is healthful.

I tend to eat soy rarely, at most.
    Once every few weeks I will have tofu.
    Generally, I don't think it is the healthiest (or unhealthiest) food for you.
    Listen to your body. Opt for tempeh instead of tofu when you can. Stick to whole foods as much as possible =)