Thread: Reaction of meateaters to one of my posts - outreagous!

Default Reaction of meateaters to one of my posts - outreagous!

I just read this article and commented the following which I got 7 thumbs down for:

It's interesting how many people are against animal cruelty but think nothing when they bite into their tesco value steak or roast chicken...I don't think organic is an option either but it would be a good start...if you can't afford organic you do better not to eat meat at all..people only eat it cause it tastes good...

I had the following replies:

Stupid comment !!

and:

Vegetable are living things as well. But I expect you eat them.

to which I replied:

Stupid comment?Wow,people are so ignorant...ever had a look into factory farming?That is REAL animal cruelty made legal!And you complain about people who kick their pets...and regarding vegetables:they can't feel pain and even if, that doesn't justify to treat animals badly..like saying, "oh veggies are living things so I might as welll eat animals too"..a cute bunny is in most peoples eyes woth more than a cow or a pig!Who makes these rules for goodness sakes?Learn cooking and eat some beans for goodness sakes - might save you a coronary anyway...

I mean how stupid are people??? They could at least admit that it would be a better choice but find it hard to do it - but saying that I am stupid although the analogy makes perfect sense is just unbelievable...I really don't get it :-(

Default Re: Reaction of meateaters to one of my posts - outreagous!

People who comment on message boards (other than this one of course) often seem to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic (how do you say that in German, Judy? ) as well as extremely prejudiced. (I sometimes wonder whether some of those Daily Mail ones are actually bots.)

I bet some people will have read what you wrote and thought about it, though.

I agree with Harpy, the people who reply to these sorts of articles just like to wind people up and provoke a reaction!
    IMO its not even worth venturing a sane thoughtout argument to them, its just a sport to them and the ones who aren't playing are just going la la la la with their fingers in their ears.

Nice post tho and I love your 'might save you a coronary anyway' comment!

I sometimes post replies to these articles also. I find it interesting that everyone will be up in arms about a dog being neglected, and are happy enough to advocate animal rights all over news articles, but won't even look at what is on their own plate. People just don't like feeling guilty about their food! It's incredibly hypocritical.
    We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

Yeah maybe I shouldn't really reply:-( But I like to make people think..

Yes I think it's good to reply - just don't expect many of the replies to your reply to be intelligent!

When it comes to those kinds of arguments, about killing vegetables and the other other one about how field mice and other animals are killed when plants are harvested, I use this logic: Well, I may also on occasion hit an animal while I am driving, and that is unfortunate and sad. But that doesn't mean I need to go out and actively chase down bunnies to hit! The point is to make as few beings suffer as possible, because it matters greatly to each life that you spare.

PS- I am actually a very careful driver, and have not hit an animal that I know of!
    Last edited by EpicLibrarian; Apr 26th, 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: I do not actively seek out animals to hit!
    See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.

I like this comment;
    "RSPCA do NOT concern themselves with strays since 2010 and have spent millions their donated money on a flash new HQ. They pick the easy targets, hence the length of time to go to the horses at Spindles farm and the number of calls from "concerned members of the public" about Crunchies in Oxfordshire. I used to fund raise for them but now prefer to donate to Celia Hammond, Cats' Protection and some of the GENUINE smaller unregistered charities which the RSPCA sees fit to close down".

I hate the RSPCA and Dogs Trust. They get so much money and do so little to help animals. I've been trying to get the RSPCA to take action against two people who are going around shooting animals with a shot gun near me but they are just not interested. It probably won't get them in the media and therefore more funding.
    I would NEVER call them if a live animal is involved as they have such a high pts rate. I did some work experience with them before I was supposed to start uni to be a vet and seeing all those animals put down because they weren't 'desirable' just ruined me.
    All their staff are paid as well, so donations to towards funding a lot of workers where donations to smaller rescue tend to go straight to the animals and it is all done voluntarily.

Anyhew, I digress. I really hate the RSPCA though.

Keyboard warriors - although at least they all agree against abuse of pet animals. It is a start!

I got these sort of responses when responding to an article about the PETA Valentine's ad.
    All I said was who cares if they are using sex to sell, every other company does.
    In Australia we had some ad with a woman walking in a field in a see through dress with a lamb cutlet.
    We also had a radio advert implying eating pork makes you perform better sexually. (Doubtful considering their hearts would probably give up.)
    I got all sorts of abuse.

Very true Jeorjette! I think I heard on Forks Over Knives or some other docu about how impotency is an early sign of heart disease because if blood is not flowing to the heart, it is probably not flowing to other places as well. So I am thinking that eating pork has the opposite effect as implied above~
    See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.

Precisely EpicLibrarian the idea that meat will help you perform in the bedroom is so ridiculous.

I have seen a pro veg ad on buses a few times this week with cute baby farm animals with the slogan "Be kind, be veg."
    Not Vegan but that is a start in a country like Australia. So I was rather happy with that. A little off topic though haha.

Ah I can't stand comments like that. Do they think they're being clever or original? We've all heard the exact same 5 retorts about a million times before.

"But vegetables have feelings too!"
    A1. Wow, you are a moron.
    A2. Eating meat kills more plants/vegetables than being vegan, so you fail again.

"But we didn't climb to the top of the food chain just to eat vegetables!"
    Yeah, good luck fighting that lion (or even that cow) with your bare hands. And getting a girlfriend.

Etc.

Quote LouiseAbel View Post
    "But we didn't climb to the top of the food chain just to eat vegetables!"
    Yeah, good luck fighting that lion (or even that cow) with your bare hands. And getting a girlfriend.
    Hilarious! And so true. I'd like to see a human eat the raw intestines of an animal (as true carnivores do) and not get ecoli.

The_Westons

Lol this topic is so funny, for one we don't stalk around a forest and shoot plants, they provide us with their nutrients, two we don't bunch plants up in stables where they start eating themselves half to death, de leaf them and once there number is up and slit throats and three when we take a piece of the plant it doesn't suffer and die.... It blossoms and regenerates into more. Eat eaters are so lame especially with the whole "where do you get your protein?" if your not educated to ask a smart question your probably not smart enough to hear the educated reply.

The comments about killing plants is just an idiot grasping at whatever they can. Even my ridiculously ignorant, religious family didn't have an argument like that, they didn't have any arguments at all! All though I have gotten random stupid comments from my family, they can easily see where you can get the nutrition. When I told my mother I went vegan, who'll believe anything religious thrown at her by her cult, she automatically started listing me foods I should eat for nutrition (beans, root veggies and the like, big in Puerto Rico).

So, I really thing these people just have no idea what they're talking about, and no idea how to defend their meat eating. I myself wouldn't bother replying, as the times I have it just makes me want to punch someone. If you wanted to reply you could easily point out how that cow he's eating ate a bunch of more veggies than he would have eaten, so you still win on the mistreatment of plants as well.

Funny, almost every post there is about how awful this is.. And in all likelyhood the OP is the only vegan.

I never know whether it is good, bad or neutral that people seem to be getting more against animal abuse. On one hand they seem to basically agree with us.. On the other hand they are so capable of the huge cognitive dissonance between what their food choices do and what they actually believe. I am sure it has been posted, but there was a study recently actually documenting this cognitive dissonance

In all honesty some days it gives me a glimpse of hope, and others it just makes me slightly misanthropic.

Melanie Joy discusses this cognitive dissonance in her book "Why We love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows". I wish these types of studies were required reading in schools!

Slightly off topic, but just wanted to respond to you, Robin. A few days ago, I did a program for the teens at my library in honor of Earth Day where we planted some herbs, veggies, and flowers, I made all vegan food, and we took a quiz to discover our carbon footprint. Then we played "Environment Trivia" where I was able to give them stats on things like water consumption, world hunger, omnivorism, and pollution while they were having fun. They were completely shocked. They really had no idea about any of these important issues. I wish environmentalism was a required class in school!

Quote TarekF View Post
    Funny, almost every post there is about how awful this is.. And in all likelyhood the OP is the only vegan.

I never know whether it is good, bad or neutral that people seem to be getting more against animal abuse. On one hand they seem to basically agree with us.. On the other hand they are so capable of the huge cognitive dissonance between what their food choices do and what they actually believe. I am sure it has been posted, but there was a study recently actually documenting this cognitive dissonance

In all honesty some days it gives me a glimpse of hope, and others it just makes me slightly misanthropic.

I like to think the more people's minds become open to animal abuse - the more they will strive to educate themselves. If people genuinely care about animals then this may lead them to realise what they are doing to farm animals. It's got to be better than those who feel it is fine to exploit and abuse animals.

I have to stay optimistic or some days I don't think I'd get out of bed!

I participated in a discussion about animal cruelty here in the states where I mentioned that the reason that animal cruelty laws aren't much tougher has to do with factory farming. The government is very wary of having to apply humane principles in 'food production' so they are reluctant to beef up animal cruelty laws. I mentioned that an it was a real thread killer. Crickets. : /

Quote Niccie View Post
    I like to think the more people's minds become open to animal abuse - the more they will strive to educate themselves. If people genuinely care about animals then this may lead them to realise what they are doing to farm animals. It's got to be better than those who feel it is fine to exploit and abuse animals.

I have to stay optimistic or some days I don't think I'd get out of bed!

Agreed! I do think people are changing a bit, becoming less likely to consider an animal as property. Why there is that cognitive dissonance in regards to animals suffering on factory farms, that I will never know, but maybe it will change.

Quote EpicLibrarian View Post
    Slightly off topic, but just wanted to respond to you, Robin. A few days ago, I did a program for the teens at my library in honor of Earth Day where we planted some herbs, veggies, and flowers, I made all vegan food, and we took a quiz to discover our carbon footprint. Then we played "Environment Trivia" where I was able to give them stats on things like water consumption, world hunger, omnivorism, and pollution while they were having fun. They were completely shocked. They really had no idea about any of these important issues. I wish environmentalism was a required class in school!
    That's awesome EpicLibrarian! We need more teachers like you. I have done some passive activism by strategically placing vegan pamphlets and magazines throughout the medical complex where I work, especially in lobby areas where patients will see them. I try to choose ones with environmental studies and also health reasons for veganism only because I know that most people are more interested in that than "animal rights" and compassion for nonhumans. Whatever it takes to grab their attention. I have made vegan treats and foods for my coworkers also and shared some vegan literature (as well as donated vegan foods to the food shelf). I think children and teens are more receptive to veganism, not yet set in their ways and not so blind to what is going on. They would be the most receptive group to target for awareness and education.

Those are great ideas Robin! I always try to bring in enough extra food at lunch to give a few interested coworkers samples. They seem to enjoy it! Even though I am not holding my breath on them becoming vegan, they are at least getting exposed to new foods and hopefully discovering that compassionate food is delicious! I like the idea of passive activism because it doesn't come off as aggressive as other kinds. (Not that I personally think it is aggressive, it just seems that is how many omnis take any conversation regarding food choices).

I agree with the youngsters. They were much more receptive and interested than many adults I have chatted with.

If you would 'invent' an objective and ultimate truth, and post it in an open unfiltered forum, that would get numerous thumb-down, because it would be in diametrical opposition of the majority's imaginary and illusory interests. But still, its always hard to be the minority, they consider you (we) silly, because they don't have those open-minded perspectives as you (we) have. Like in the Platonic 'cave metaphor', when the man returns to the cave and tells the truth to the others...well, they give him a serious amount of thumb-down as it were.
    "Like most things, I am nothing."

I get an 'outrageous' comment too, in an open Hungarian book forum, under a vegetarian book, named 'Armin Risi, Ronald Z.- Vegetarian Life.' (This conversation happened my native language so I'll try to translate is as accurately as I can.)

"I: Empathy should rise us above 'animals', not cruelty.

Guy: I disagree. The law of the evolution: the strong eats the weak. From the perspective of the consumed entity, its bad; from the perspective of the consuming entity, its good. In my opinion, to kill an animal to eat it, our evolutional right, and there is nothing condemnable in it. The ten commandment says 'don't kill', but its don't says when and why not to kill. Therefore to claim that 'don't kill at all' is unreasoned. The truth is, that you can kill, if this killing will contribute to maintain your genes in a long-term. (Including your own species.)
    This is the war of the genes, for whom we - individuals - are only instruments. They travel generation to generation from one entity to another, whilst they searching for those companions they can successfully cooperate with, and survive. If you approach this matter from this perspective, vegetarian life is a result of a false state of consciousness, because our genes prepared us for omnivore lifestyle since more than 100 thousand of years, so the natural selection will punish this state of consciousness in a long-term."

Even though its clearly a mixture of self-justifying excuses - moreover it's from the most selfish and narrowminded opininons - he got lots of thumbs-up for this 'racional' post. Its nice to live in a world that is so 'racional'.
    "Like most things, I am nothing."

Some people enjoy giving themselves the title of "animal lover" to look like a good person without showing any proof due to the fact that some don't want to prove it anyways.