Thread: Battery Cages Banned in Europe

Default Battery Cages Banned in Europe

I was listening to Radio 4 on way home before and they where talking about EU changing legislation on battery cages to enriched cages. I believe this was a 12yr phase out being enforced this year.

http://www.fairweatherconsulting.com...e-agriculture/

This is what wiki says the new cages should be
    "The EU Directive allows enriched or "furnished" cages to be used. Under the directive, enriched cages must be at least 45 cm high and must provide each hen with at least 750 cm² of space; 600 cm² of this must be "usable area" – the other 150 cm² is for a nest-box. The cage must also contain litter, perches and "claw-shortening devices". Some animal welfare organisations, such as Compassion in World Farming, have criticised this move, calling for enriched cages to be prohibited as they believe they provide no significant or worthwhile welfare benefits as compared with conventional battery cages. The use of battery cages is banned in Belgium, Austria, Sweden and the Netherlands."

What I was listening to said the price of eggs is increasing and pushing business out market etc. I was wondering if this might see a move to more egg-free alternatives. A lot of people didn't seem to realise you could make a cake without egg!

I'm dubious the new cages will be much better, are they still going to cut their beaks? On the programme it said most egg places were having to half their numbers. Which is a half the way there - kinda.....

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this - I did think maybe increase egg price might encourage more veggies to go vegan but then if they think cages are improving a guess there is less of a push on them to think of the hens. So maybe ultimately it isn't a step forward?!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Default Re: Battery Cages Banned in Europe

The new cages aren't any better, it's just marketing and to ramp up the prices.

"The EU Directive allows enriched or "furnished" cages to be used. Under the directive, enriched cages must be at least 45 cm high and must provide each hen with at least 750 cm² of space; 600 cm² of this must be "usable area" – the other 150 cm² is for a nest-box. The cage must also contain litter, perches and "claw-shortening devices". Some animal welfare organisations, such as Compassion in World Farming, have criticised this move, calling for enriched cages to be prohibited as they believe they provide no significant or worthwhile welfare benefits as compared with conventional battery cages." (source Wikipedia article)

Yep, still locked up and exploited.

Quote CoolCat View Post
    Yep, still locked up and exploited.
    No I totally agree - I just wonder what affect the price increase will have on people's mentalities towards egg. Guess we will find out.

600 cm² of this must be "usable area"...

That is a ground floor to 'walk' on of 20 cm x 30 cm.
    That is 0.66 feet (7 7/8 inches) by 0.98 feet (11 13⁄16 inches) for imperial vegans.

Can you picture the EU discussing about this, and them thinking they are 'improving' things.

I guess they also have to have a mind for economics of the farmers as well - I don't know. From what I heard a lot of chickens have had to be killed to make room for this 'improvement' as they wouldn't have the space to provide it.
    It's just heartbreaking that 20cm x 30cm of floor space is an improvement

Urgh, I wanted to feel this was a step in the right direction when people were talking about egg products and alternatives but really it's just sad. If the EU think they have improved conditions then they won't be in a rush to do anything else any time soon I guess.

So stupid..
    Obviously I don't agree with animal farming.
    But if they are going to do it the chickens should be in a open spaced barn where they can would around, socialize, see the sun and at night go into their nesting areas all warm and sheltered..
    I voted for the end of battery cages but I think it hasn't helped anything..

Quote Niccie
    From what I heard a lot of chickens have had to be killed to make room for this 'improvement'
    There's been alot about that here in Ireland, farmers saying that they can't afford the new cages so then the chickens have to be killed. Some of them have been rescued and gone to nice homes/sanctuaries but I don't trust that all of them aren't just going to be exploited again ie used for eggs in people's houses. There have been a few heart-warming stories on the news about rescued chickens which I guarantee most of the country watches while eating chicken parts for their dinner, it makes me angry sometimes!
    Houmous atá ann!

Houmous atá ann!