Thread: ignorant people and healthcare staff !

Default ignorant people and healthcare staff !

I can;t believe it how some healthcare professional can be so ignorant towards vegan. I am attending a weigh loss group part of the NHS.

I just attended a weight loss group .... the "leader" told me that all nutrition information and question should be asked to him so I asked a few question about carb, protein .. right portion size etc.... he coudln't answer any question ... so there i though well vegan diet is quite specific so i gave him the benefit of the doubt.

then another patient starting joking saying to me that "I should eat my damm steak and get on with it ! " . I was well cheesed off at that point .... but what got me is that none of the professional told him to keep quiet as I have found this comment quite offending.
    after that, another guy starting to criticize my diet regarding lack of protein and amino acid as i am not eating any meat or protein etc.... the leader answer promptly saying well that vegetarian and vegan have to live without that !

I just can't believe the ignorance coming from health care professional ... i am quite angry at them as it made me fell like I was from another planet ! ... I dont think i will get back.

sorry i just needed to have a rant as I am quite cheesed off.

Default Re: ignorant people and healthcare staff !

You should honestly make a formal complaint!!
    People are not allowed to lie to you like that or treat you like that!!
    I urge you to make a complaint!!
    I am sorry you had to put up with this..

my partner said the same thing that I should make a complaint but to be honest i don't have the energy to do it!
    i forgot to add she even asked me if i was eating egg ! So I then I decided to educate them as to what i eat which are tofu, soya milk, marmite, vegetable, fruit, beans and pulses, seitan etc .... .... the leader didn't even know if beans have protein ! unbelievable ......

Please do make a complaint, even if you're not going back it will help others in future.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I think a complaint is needed, as these people have no knowledge about protein. There are vegan sources for protein (beans, tofu, seitan, hemp...) and amino acids (hemp, flax seeds). I wouldn't go back either, these people don't know anything they're talking about. The whole place should be closed down.

I agree with both Risker and Cacique.
    These people need to be educated.
    If they are running a weight loss class they should know the benefits of non-animal sources of protein as they have less fat!
    Please make a complaint, this company is causing damage!
    What if a vegetarian or vegan went there who knew nothing about protein and these people told them this shit?
    They could end up in hospital sick!

The_Westons

You see it's a carnivore world... It's not so much that they are ignorant its because the don't teach plant based nutrients to doctors or healthcare "professionals" the best thing you can you is educate yourself on your health. However you should really complain about there adittude towards you it's discrimination in its finest you out of all of them are the healthiest person in the class!! Be angry at there mind set not from the lack of the education

I think I will complaint after seeing our post, my partner said the same things too ! I haven't though about the possibility of new vegetarian / vegan coming in the future. I am going to ring them up to say i won't be back there and tell them why .

Anyhow I have found a nice chart and some book on Viva! international and the vegan society . I found a nice website for fat free vegan cooking , well worth a try

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

update I have sent an email and did a phone call . I received an apology from the one of their staff and they will take it further.

See, don't you feel better about complaining?
    Good luck with your weightloss!
    I complained about a teacher who was rude to me about Veganism and he had to have a disciplinary meeting!
    I was so happy! Haha.

Good for you, syrius. Hope it makes them buck their ideas up/get some edjucation Sorry to hear about your experience.

thanks i Have to say if it wasn't for all of your encouragement I will have let it pass away. thank you all again.

The_Westons

Get yourself 'the sunfood diet system' book from david Wolfe. It's packed full of health,weightloss and nutritional wisdom... Worked for me, good luck!

Quote The_Westons View Post
    Get yourself 'the sunfood diet system' book from david Wolfe. It's packed full of health,weightloss and nutritional wisdom... Worked for me, good luck!
    thanks is it this book ( just want to make sure it is the right one )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sunfood-...8&sr=8-1-fkmr0

You're very welcome Syrius!!
    Everyone needs a little encouragement sometimes!!
    =]

Glad that you found some books, got an apology, and that they're doing something about it. Thanks for calling in the complaint, and good luck discovering a vegan diet that works for you!

The_Westons

Quote syrius View Post
    thanks is it this book ( just want to make sure it is the right one )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sunfood-...8&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Thats the one!

splodge

Well done for complaining! It's appalling how little they know about nutrition. It's also appalling that other group member make derogatory comments to you. It was discrimination and abuse. The NHS should know better.

And how would you lose weight if you kept eating steak???!

thanks splodge .... I received some letter from them apologising and stating they will have to rethink how to they operate . apparently I wasn't even the first one to complaint about it ! beggar belief that being more compassionate toward other sentient living being inccur so much crap/insult from others !

Oh, that's good syrius - sounds as if they have actually taken some notice.

I suppose if you were feeling really assertive as a result of your success you could ask them to update you when they have had their rethink, or offer to give them a customer perspective to help them with it

yes I am still talking with them about it but it is going very slowly ! snail mail ! I am more confortable talking through mail as there is a record and people are a bit more careful of what they are saying.

Yes, good thinking!