Thread: Edvard Munch's "The Scream" sold for $119.900.000 - with a comment

Default Edvard Munch's "The Scream" sold for $119.900.000 - with a comment

One of the four versions of Edvard Munch's famous painting "The Scream" was sold a few hours a go for $ 119.9 mill - a world record for art sold in an art auction house. Along with Mona Lisa, The Scream is probably one of the world's most famous paintings. The previous (Norwegian) owner used the opportunity at Sotheby's to tell the press that he felt that the picture represented:

“I hope that the publicity given by this sale will increase public awareness of Munchs work,” he began, “and awareness of the important message that I feel it conveys. The Scream for me shows the horrifying moment when man realizes his impact on nature and the irreversible changes that he has initiated, making the planet increasingly uninhabitable.”
    [...] “Munch’s hand-painted poem on the frame ends with the words ‘the great scream in nature,’” he said.

“It is as if Munch has had a premonition of what man was going to inflict on nature.”

Edvard Munch (1863-1944) painted The Scream around the age of 30. He became a vegetarian rather late in life, and once wrote:

"Can you imagine a calf, a common red heifer? Have you ever looked into it's eyes? Have you seen how deep they are - and how good they are at heart? One day we'll hit this being, with these eyes, brutally in it's forehead, stab a knife in it's neck - and eat it's meat and blood.

We are beasts.

[...]

There is no need to kill to live. "

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Edvard Munch's "The Scream" sold for $119.900.000 - with a comment

...and here's the painter, on the left hand side of Albert Einstein (top row):

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Heh. I'll take 10.

There's a Munch exhibition coming up in London by the way http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate...nch-modern-eye

...only a few years after the last one

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/event...lf,117,EV.html

So he's getting a lot of coverage...maybe the vegetarian aspect will get some too.

very interesting Korn, thanks for that. I didn't know what that pic represented before