Thread: Raw until dinner an option?

Default Raw until dinner an option?

Hi, I've been looking into raw food diets. First I was very opposed but I've been trying to educate myself. However, I don't
    think I would want to be 100% raw as I would probably not stick to it and there are foods I don't want to give up that taste best when cooked
    ie beans and potatoes. Also, my husband would think I am crazy and he wouldn't be happy for me not to cook. I also get very hungry just eating raw food.
    But I could imagine eating raw fruit and veg all day and have a substantial non-processed dinner (with more veg )

Has anyone done something similar and how did you get on? Also, I am used to eating something substantial in the morning especially because I can't
    take my meds on an empty stomach or a stomach filled with acidy fruits...Any idea?

Default Re: Raw until dinner an option?

What about overnight oats for breakfast (with some fruit etc)? You can get raw oats though I don't know if they'd end up sprouting if soaked over night!

oh have never seen raw oats!!! That's an idea, thanks

I have considered doing a raw 24 hours, but I would probably just end up eating lots of Trek/Nakd Bars. They do make a nice breakfast though

Trying to find satisfying food until dinner..raw oats are available online but are expensive :-(

And I am not that much of a banana fan..lol

I tried doing a high raw diet for a few weeks, and 100% raw for a few days at one point but I was always freezing cold and hungry. I just like cooked food too much and I have a talant for cooking. I may increase raw consumption again when it gets warmer here.

One dish I liked to make for breakfast that was raw and substantial: soak some buckwheat groats (cheaper and easier to find than oat groats but make sure to get the raw ones not kasha) for an hour or so or overnight, about half a cup or so. They do not need to be soaked nearly as long as other seeds or grains. In the morning add them to a blender with a banana and a few dates and process until smooth. You can add just a touch of water depending on how thick or thin you like it. I liked to sprinkle fresh berries on top. There is a recipe for this on a lot of raw food websites, called buckwheat porridge.

A snack or lunch idea I really liked and still do: collard leaf wraps with shredded jicama (looks and tastes like cooked rice when shredded in a blender or food processer), chopped bell pepper or another type of pepper, brocoli sprouts, shredded carrot, whatever else you desire. Add fresh herbs or a little spice if you wish.

I used to sprout lentils also and add them to wraps or salads for an extra boost of protein, crunch, and satiety. I would use nori wraps too but had a hard time finding raw ones that werent pre roasted.

I made puddings by blending avocado, dates, banana, and raw cacao.

I still often use my blendtec to blend raw green leafy vegetables and berries or other fruit with ice water into morning juices and smoothies to go with breakfast. I have tried a few cold raw soups too, such as tomato, and one blending pineapple and coconut with hot spices, or the cold red pepper soup popular on raw websites. There is a raw butternut squash soup I would like to try but keep putting it off. I do not have a dehydrator so my choices were more limited.

Smile Re: Raw until dinner an option?

Quote thegreenjudy View Post
    Hi, I've been looking into raw food diets. First I was very opposed but I've been trying to educate myself. However, I don't
    think I would want to be 100% raw as I would probably not stick to it and there are foods I don't want to give up that taste best when cooked
    ie beans and potatoes. Also, my husband would think I am crazy and he wouldn't be happy for me not to cook. I also get very hungry just eating raw food.
    But I could imagine eating raw fruit and veg all day and have a substantial non-processed dinner (with more veg )

Has anyone done something similar and how did you get on? Also, I am used to eating something substantial in the morning especially because I can't
    take my meds on an empty stomach or a stomach filled with acidy fruits...Any idea?

A friend gave me a great raw muesli recipe which you may wish to try:

1 cup soaked almonds
    1 cup organic decicated coconut
    4 large medjool dates (or dried figs)
    1 cup oats
    1 tsp celtic sea salt

Take pips out of dates and mix all above ingredients together in food processor or termomix. Add:
    1 tbsp sesame seeds
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1-2 tbsp goji berries
    2 tbsp sultanas

Mix all together and enjoy with chopped apple or other fruit with a little rice or almond milk. If you just add the fresh fruit each day, the remainder will keep well in the fridge. Yum

2 tbsps chia seeds

My partner and I did a period of raw, and this book was a godsend - Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people by Jennifer Cornbleet. Good for if you're on a limited budget (as we always are!) and need the basics and straightforward ideas and recipes. It might be good to start with this, and see how you get on!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Great stuff, thanks and sorry for taking so long to respond

I noticed that I fancy more fruit lately so I am actually eating lots of raw but I do love my stir-fries..still So I am trying to just increase my raw food intake for now!

I've recently found myself eating a bunch of fruit only meals, usually involving grapes and different kinds of berries - it's easy enough to eat around 600kcal of them in a sitting and is very pleasant also

Quote Lentils View Post
    I've recently found myself eating a bunch of fruit only meals, usually involving grapes and different kinds of berries - it's easy enough to eat around 600kcal of them in a sitting and is very pleasant also
    And TASTY. I've found myself craving strawberries and peaches lately. Fruit is wonderful!

Ditto here. I had a banana, strawberries, and fresh pineapple for breakfast. It was actually quite filling and carried me for five hours and a 45 minute intense workout. Must be the warmer weather as to why we are craving fruit.

I can't go totally raw either. But I have definitely increased raw produce in the last month or so. I dont have to worry about freezing to death now as I did when I tried raw in the winter.

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Fruit is wonderful!
    When I went on a cruise at the start of the year (it was still summer over here at that time) I mostly just ate fruit as there wasn't much vegan things to eat, besides some bread and occasionally veggies done without butter. Luckily I absolutely love fruit or I would've lost a lot more than the kilo I did and I can't even afford to lose just one!

So yep, fruit is wonderful! I suck at being raw though I do eat a some raw things everyday ...... fruit, a carrot, spinach ...... ehm that's about it
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

Banana smoothies for breakfast! They aren't acidic, they are filling, and they're tasty too Try a few blended with dates, mango, or even grapes and it should fill you right up. Super simple too!

I think raw until dinner is an excellent idea personally, it works well for many people. Good luck on your journey!

Judy, have you tried green smoothies? That should not be too acidic.

Other than that, your plan sounds good to me... (especially the part of not eating too many beans raw ;-)

Also, have you looked up Ani Phyo ? Her raw kitchen recipes seem to have some good "starter" ideas to get into the raw stuff.

Regards, Andy

thanks for all the suggestions just on holiday in wales and the little shop here in our holiday park had shockingly few options for vegans, let alone fresh fruit and veg!! off the aldi

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone tried green smoothies as a way of taking in raw food fast?

I'm quite new to them myself but I'm finding that, fill'n'fuel wise, they really hit the spot!
    All done in the best possible taste ...