Thread: Health effects of vegan diets (2009)

Default Health effects of vegan diets (2009)

Health effects of vegan diets [PMID: 19279075]

Abstract
    Recently, vegetarian diets have experienced an increase in popularity. A vegetarian diet is associated with many health benefits because of its higher content of fiber, folic acid, vitamins C and E, potassium, magnesium, and many phytochemicals and a fat content that is more unsaturated. Compared with other vegetarian diets, vegan diets tend to contain less saturated fat and cholesterol and more dietary fiber. Vegans tend to be thinner, have lower serum cholesterol, and lower blood pressure, reducing their risk of heart disease. However, eliminating all animal products from the diet increases the risk of certain nutritional deficiencies. Micronutrients of special concern for the vegan include vitamins B-12 and D, calcium, and long-chain n-3 (omega-3) fatty acids. Unless vegans regularly consume foods that are fortified with these nutrients, appropriate supplements should be consumed. In some cases, iron and zinc status of vegans may also be of concern because of the limited bioavailability of these minerals.

And as we all should know by now, non-vegans also risk getting deficiencies....
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Health effects of vegan diets (2009)

I don't believe that calcium thing. Aren't meat eaters more at risk of low calcium levels because they eat too much protein? (Some/most of them...)

Slipper

this is rubbish, vit D = 20 minutes in the sun, I have been vegan for 12 years, and I mean strict vegan my vit b12 6 months ago was 575 - the top range is 750, high protein foods cause osteoporosis, my haemaglobin was 160 - that the top end for a female - omegas? eat more chia and ground flax seed, seriously how many hospital beds are occupied with deficiencies VERY FEW if any vs how many are occupied by diseases of excess - most of them thats how many! Donna Ba. Nursing grrrr I will take my deficiency risk any day over MANY other diseases cause by food choices

Chill. No-one's saying you have to pick one or the other.

Osteoporosis is caused by many other factors besides lack of calcium and vitamin D. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis six years ago at the age of 34. My DEXA T scores were -3.2 spine (osteoporosis range is anything past -2.5) and -1.8 hip (osteopenia range). The year before I had had a hysterectomy and both ovaries removed (the hysterectomy was by uninformed choice, the removal of both ovaries was not by choice and I woke up learning they were both taken). I was a low normal weight and osteoporosis runs in my family and I was a heavy smoker at the time (I quit on September 1, 2006, the day I had my dexa scan). So I had many risk factors and I wanted a base line score since I was now in surgical menopause. I was shocked to see how low my dexa scores were. I was told I had the bones of an eighty year old. While I was lactose intolerant in my pre vegan days, I still ate yogurt and lactose free milk on a daily basis for years prior and it obviously didnt help. I also spent a lot of time out in the sun hiking, canoeing, rock picking, still didnt help. I believe my bone thinning started due to 23 years of being on thyroid meds (also a huge risk factor) and antidepressants for a period of 10 years. Many prescriptions out there carry a big risk of osteoporosis when used long term, for example proton pump inhibitors such as prilosec or nexium, birth control shots from Depo Provera, thyroid medications, antidepressants such as prozac and many of the SSRIs. And it seems everyone these days is being medicated with something or other. People need to be aware of the long term side effects of these medications and weigh that against the benefits. I can not function and my health declines rapidly without my thyroid meds, but I can live happily without anti depressants. At any rate surgical menopuase simply accelerated my bone loss. However, I call into question how accurate those DEXA scans are. I still have not fractured anything, even after being bumped last year by a woman in a mini van who pulled out of a driveway and hit me as I was riding my bike. I had xrays of my spine after that due to low back pain form the accident and my spine was subluxed out of place but not fractured and the doctor said my bones still looked quite solid according to the xray as it only shows the effects of osteoporosis if more than 50% of bone is lost. So I know I have at least 50% of my bone still. I have carried heavy loads 1/2 my weight and once I fell down the stairs. I think I have my age going for me and that I am physically active and eat very healthy now as a vegan. I do supplement with calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D2 and I am on hormone replacement therapy (human bioidentical) since surgical menopause is unbearable for me at my age without some hormones but I refuse to take the osteoporosis meds they tried to push at me, especially fosomax. I try to do weight bearing exercise and get some sun without slathering sunblock on every time. My D levels were very healthy when tested last year so that isnt an issue.

I guess the point of my post is that I am an example of having a health problem blamed on veganism but my osteoporosis was diagnosed as an omnivore who consumed dairy and meat almost five years before becoming vegan. And also I think diet is not the only factor to look at in regards to the health problems people face. Environmental toxins, how one deals with stress, etc should also be looked at before blaming ones diet on an illness.