Thread: Vegan Society's new video - your response

Exclamation Vegan Society's new video - your response

http://vimeo.com/40717873

It's powerful, but I can't help but get annoyed that they didn't mention health benefits, general animal cruelty, food security and sustainability...

Default Re: Vegan Society's new video - your response

They also didn't give any recipes or showed pictures of vegan food...
    It's a video about the double standard towards animals, not the diet of humans or the food supply of humans nor the environment.

It's a nice recap or synopsis for people who refuse the watch Earthlings I think.

I know, but when I showed it to omni friends they just couldn't equate Gandhi to a pig and just laughed at it. It proves their point but I just feel they could have made more of an impact. I totally understand that it's about double standards towards animals, but it indicates no benefit to anyone in doing so. All my omni friends could think about was their "loss of food" and "why does it matter".

Either your omni friends aren't the smartest bunch or they feel threatened by it and ridiculed it because of that.

The Tree Stages Of TRUTH: 1. Ridicule 2. Violent Opposition 3. Acceptance!!!

I think it might work well on the particular group it's targeting.

From only having watched it once, I'd say it's mainly pitched at people who might already be vaguely considering going vegan but think it's not worth bothering because a few people can't change the world, etc., when obviously they have. That's why it's got the bit about following your convictions.

Seems quite sensible to target that group, and it's only the one video after all - they put out a lot of other information.

I agree with what harpy says. It's advertising the Vegan Pledge, quite effectively I think. If people are interested they will find links to more information, such as Making The Connection) on the website as you can see from the quote below.
    veganpledge.com
    The Vegan Pledge

The Vegan Society offers a Vegan Pledge scheme for non-vegans who would like to try veganism for one week, fourteen days or one month. We are offering mentors, a vegan pledge pack with recipes and guidance and plenty of support.

Why vegan?
    Do you have to choose between a healthy, fun, modern lifestyle and a fair, sustainable, compassionate lifestyle? No, you can have it all! Watch the Vegan Society’s new film, 'Making the Connection', and decide for yourself.
    You can watch it in chapters on our website or straight through with Play All on our YouTube playlist. Please let us know what you think of the film, too!
    Also see our Why Vegan? page for a reminder of the reasons why you might like to try the vegan lifestyle.
    We also welcome new mentors to help with the Vegan Pledge. If you are already vegan, could you help someone else to make the switch? Please contact usfor more information about being a Vegan Pledge mentor.
    Take the Vegan Pledge now!

To take the pledge, just fill in the form below, answering as many questions as you can. Don't worry if there are any you can't or don't want to answer, but giving us more detail means we can give you more personalised support.
    Once we have received your form we will email you your pledge pack and contact details for your mentor if you have requested one (contact with mentors is usually by email).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I like it, but think maybe there could be a little more in there. I like the linking going vegan to the famous activists shown from history but think the animal rights part could be stronger somehow.