Thread: workout routines?

Smile workout routines?

what is your work out routine?

mine is pretty much on the rocks right now! im trying to get my sleeping schedule back on normal so i can go for walks daily

I do some sit ups and push ups...that's pretty much it...

I really wish I had time for a full workout routine. One of these days I'll get a schedule made and maybe get a membership to a gym. But going to a gym isn't really what I want to do, I'd rather work out at home, although that isn't really possible due to a lack of any equipment (or the funds to purchase such equipment ). In the meantime I'll do some push-ups and sit-ups, you can't go wrong there.

push ups and sit ups definitely. also heavy cans are great for lifting and u cant go wrong going for a walk outside! that doesnt cost a dime

I walk alot.. thats pretty much it... guess i should definately do more...
    Vegan-pagan-homeschooling momma to Khaila (5) and felines Gamma (3) and Mickey (3 mnths) and new foster cat Holly (2)

oooh ive bin working out regularaly. 20 minutes interval workout on the exercise bike daily

I try to do stretching everyday, but have been failing over the winter months - more like a few times a week now - also had been going for a walk/jog every morning, but chickened out during a Jan freeze -

BUT NOW

I have a dog - which means I HAVE to go for the walk - and she´s pretty big, so I get good exercise - she had never gone on a walk before, so we are both getting in condition together.

I walk alot anyway but this is a bit more rigorous, and more frequent.

When the weather is nice, I go rollerblading on Danube Island where there is lots of hills, and go swimming in the river.

regards,
    globesetter

We have two retired racing greyhounds, I walk them twice a day for about 40 minutes total. I do run about 5 days a week, now my daily mileage is around 30 miles, but I also train for marathons. I am not doing one this year since I'd like to be a bit faster. I also lift weights , 10-15 lbs, twice a week for a total of 50 mins or so. And I try ti squeeze in yoga but tyat doesnt always happen.

I normally do a 30 minute or 45 minute workout tape.
    But I just busted my neck yesterday during push-ups (result of planting two trees and removing a shrub). So I'm going to have to wait until it's okay again. Hate that! I can't stand these annoying physical limitations.

I do yoga every other day, and on the non-yoga days, I do 35 minutes on my elliptical machine. I also walk sometimes as well.

I cycle to work and back every day all year. Its maybe 14 miles in total. Enough to get a really good sweat on. I feel wide awake, really energised, and ready to take on the world by the time I get to work. I also go to the gym at weekends and do medx ( weights ).

Default My workout life

It is, as they go, unstructured.

My dog is unwalkable so I run her at least five times a week. Or more. Since I work all day, as soon as I get in I'm stretching and gearing up. We run along the river and back through town, 4 to 5 miles.

Then the weekends. I'm devoting a lot of time here at some expense to other postponed projects. Housecleaning for example.

I live in a decrept old railroad flat with a long hallway and wood floors. The front room overlooks a busy street. It is small. I've removed all chairs and sit on cushions. There's a small rug for yoga in the center. A soloflex machine and weight rack occupies a corner prominently. I want this to be right there in front of me.

On recent Saturdays I get up and start with leg presses and stretch for a bit then, to finally placate the howling dog we hit the trail. This run is now going about 1 1/2 hours, est. @ 6-7 miles.

Return to do more leg presses, dead lifts, and squats. Then yoga to stretch the muscles. By afternoon I will be ready for some more yoga asanas followed by pranayama.

Sunday will be similar but a longer run, up to 10 miles if I'm up to it, followed by an upper body routine.

It still doesn't seem like enough and my gut still bulges but I have dropped around 15 lbs. Once I get tip top and gutterless I intend to streamline this routine and devote more of it to pranayama and samadhi.
    I am a tangerine ;)

PinkFluffyCloud

My usual routine: Tae Bo, 15-20 mins in the morning. Yoga, 30-60 mins every afternoon. Walking, 30 mins slow walk with elderly dog, and 30 mins fat walk on my own. Plus housework, etc.

Present routine (due to recent illness, dog laid up with bad leg, and now general lethargy on my part!!): Tae Bo -0, Yoga - 2 stretches per day, Walking - minimal, usually to biscuit tin and back to computer, - plus plenty of finger exercise, typing and moving Mouse.

Must get this SORTED!!!

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Tae Bo -0, Yoga - 2 stretches per day, Walking - minimal, usually to biscuit tin and back to computer, - plus plenty of finger exercise, typing and moving Mouse.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

i can picture it now! do you slop to the biscuit tin in some fluffy mule slippers and paisley knee-length dressing gown??

and what are the two stretches? arm up to pour kettle onto teabag and then up again for soya milk??

I currently walk an hour and half every night or so. Lately I've been finding that it's not enough. Not like how it used to be a few months ago...if that makes sense. I want to maybe do yoga.

But I don't want to do anything a gym. I hate being around a lot of people. Especially sweaty people.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote cedarblue
    LOL LOL LOL LOL

i can picture it now! do you slop to the biscuit tin in some fluffy mule slippers and paisley knee-length dressing gown??

and what are the two stretches? arm up to pour kettle onto teabag and then up again for soya milk??
    Nah, don't like soya milk in my tea, drink herbal only now!
    My slippers are very fluffy, but my dressing gown is a sturdy towelling job, with a hood for those very cold evenings, and my pyjamas are pink check, adorned with teddy bears!!

Quote Tigerlily
    But I don't want to do anything a gym. I hate being around a lot of people. Especially sweaty people.
    Yeah, that's why I've got the setup at my crib.

I go by one downtown here often. The music in there just plain sucks too.

Besides, the dog would definitely make a scene if I left her alone to go to the gym. I've saved enough on fees to pay for the Soloflex, which I got during their sale for less than half. No way I could afford it now:

www.soloflex.com
    I am a tangerine ;)

I go to a Body Balance (yoga/tai chi/pilates) class twice a week and I try to go a Body Pump (weights) class once a week. I'm a bit of a gym girl because I really need the motivation. I've tried to do yoga at home, but I need the structure of going to classes. I also have two big dogs that I walk at the beach as many mornings as I can drag myself out of bed by 6am. I have really good genes though, so I stay thin whether I work out or not. That doesn't help with the lack of motivation either!

Everyday I do 200 sit ups - I used to have a lot of muscle wastage and had very weak abdominal muscles. I also walk Odi every day for at least half an hour - forty five minutes or he will go nuts. Nothing vigorous. I used to swim, but vanity got the better of me when it started drying out my hair and skin. When I can afford it, I will join a gym and tone those muscles!!!!

For those of you that want more workout without hitting the gym I discovered a great book! It's called the' Pilates Body' and it's no equipment, just pilates mat moves. I'm very strong but could not do the whole program when I started it.I still can't! It takes me about 45minutes to do the whole thing, 30minutes if I shorten it, but I feel great after.

And my ab muscles are way stronger!

I also enjoy the 'Navy Seals Workout'. That one you need a chin up bar to do, but forget needing machines- your own body weight is enough for a great muscle workout!

Aerobic- I need to do more walking however!

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    My usual routine: Tae Bo, 15-20 mins in the morning.
    I do tae bo each morning too.
    Okay, I skipped this morning, but usually 7 days a week.

Quote Michael
    I really wish I had time for a full workout routine. One of these days I'll get a schedule made and maybe get a membership to a gym. But going to a gym isn't really what I want to do, I'd rather work out at home, although that isn't really possible due to a lack of any equipment (or the funds to purchase such equipment )
    Michael, I've had weights at home, but don't have the motivation (too hot!). Anyhow a few weeks ago I joined a gym, and do a one hour work out 3X a week, before a one hour swim. I also do a one hour swim on the other 3 days, just leaving Sunday to relax and read the morning papers. It's a lovely airconditioned gym, and I have a personal trainer - Brian - of course he is everyone else's personal trainer, but I go very early in the morning! As I leave, a few more people turn up. Brian has guided me through using the equipment, or I wouldn't know how they work. I'm so glad to be enjoying the workout.
    Eve

What are you enjoying more Eve, the workout or Brian?

Hard to say!
    Eve

walking the dogs, gardening and housework
    (not into organised exercise, detested sports at school, and I don't do sweaty - YUK)

Quote eve
    Hard to say!
    LOL

I once joined a gym. I attended Reebok Step Class. In a very unco-ordinated move, I fell off my step and sprained my ankle.

I never went back.

Similarly titled, theres the Vegan Workout Manual , if you haven't seen it already.

As you might guess I love those weights . I Used to run, but it really knackered my hip & knee. Lifting increases bone density, makes you stronger & gives you cool muscles that no other form of exercise can. It also raises the Basal Metabolic Rate (so you burn more fat just sitting around ) & you need more calories (so you get to eat more-YUM!).
    All in all it's the best thing you can do if you want to look better & feel better.

I totally agree with you Pete, and certainly weight-bearing exercises increase bone density.
    Eve

mango

Every day: warm-up stretches and Tai Chi, 30min-1hr

2-3x a week: deeper stretching, press-ups, sit-ups

3-4 mile run when I feel like it.

I walk everywhere, rarely get the bus, including 5 miles each way to and from university 3 days a week.

hey mango, great to see your postings here - last time we were in touch you were in Spain weren't you? Trust you are still fit as a fiddle!
    Eve

I do yoga twice a week now

Are you enjoying the yoga Banana? I've been thinking about buying a yoga DVD from work.

Here is my routine. I will be competing in Figure competition, (amateur) in 2005. I am a member of the NPC in Maryland. I switch up my routine every few months and use different exercises for the body part.

Monday
    -Chest/Triceps, cardio
    Tuesday
    – cardio, calves, abdominal
    Wednesday
    - Biceps/Back, cardio
    Thursday
    - cardio, calves, abdominal, cardio
    Friday
    - Shoulders/Legs, cardio
    Saturday
    - cardio, calves, abdominal
    Sunday
    – off
    *In the warmer months I run at least 30 miles on the weekend.

Chest
    Flat Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Flat Bench Dumbell Flyes
    Incline Dumbell Flyes
    Back
    Deadlift
    Lat Pulldown (or weighted pull ups)
    Seated Cable Row
    Bent Over Barbell Row
    Bent Over 1 Arm Dumbell Rows
    Biceps
    Standing Barbell Curls
    Preacher Curls (with dumbells or barbell)
    Seated/Standing Dumbell Curls
    Triceps
    Tricep Press Down
    Dips
    French Press
    Legs
    Squats
    Calve Raises
    Shoulders
    Seated/Standing Military Press (with barbell or dumbells)
    Lateral Raises
    Shrug

Quote MzNatural
    Here is my routine. I will be competing in Figure competition, (amateur) in 2005. I am a member of the NPC in Maryland. I switch up my routine every few months and use different exercises for the body part.

Monday
    -Chest/Triceps, cardio
    Tuesday
    – cardio, calves, abdominal
    Wednesday
    - Biceps/Back, cardio
    Thursday
    - cardio, calves, abdominal, cardio
    Friday
    - Shoulders/Legs, cardio
    Saturday
    - cardio, calves, abdominal
    Sunday
    – off
    *In the warmer months I run at least 30 miles on the weekend.

Chest
    Flat Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Flat Bench Dumbell Flyes
    Incline Dumbell Flyes
    Back
    Deadlift
    Lat Pulldown (or weighted pull ups)
    Seated Cable Row
    Bent Over Barbell Row
    Bent Over 1 Arm Dumbell Rows
    Biceps
    Standing Barbell Curls
    Preacher Curls (with dumbells or barbell)
    Seated/Standing Dumbell Curls
    Triceps
    Tricep Press Down
    Dips
    French Press
    Legs
    Squats
    Calve Raises
    Shoulders
    Seated/Standing Military Press (with barbell or dumbells)
    Lateral Raises
    Shrug
    Wow, Mz Natural. Just reading about your routine made me tired . You must be in absolutely fantastic shape. I'm sure you get additional cardio in from chasing after your daughter . You're a wonderful role model.

I just started back at the gym this month after over a year's haitus. I go Mon-Thurs at lunchtime and can fit in usually 35 minutes cardio (bike, treadmill and/or body trec), 60 stomach crunches twice a week and weights twice a week (just 2 lower body + 2 upper body). I try to walk Friday-Sunday with the babies when the weather is tolerable. I'm going to slowly increase my weights once I'm back in the exercise routine and hopefully, start doing some exercise videos at home on the weekends. I bought Pilates for Dummies right before I got pregnant and only got to do it once or twice and I have a good video, Arms and Abs of Steel that I always liked.

PinkFluffyCloud

Well, Feline, you are doing well, too, a lot of people would have used having twins, a job, and debt worries as a good excuse to 'drop out'!
    Mz, you make me sick, gal!!

It is inspiring when anyone works out.

Feline01 I remember squeezing workouts in during my lunch break. It is tough getting those workouts in, good for you and all the others on here.

I did meet another inspiring soul after my workout yesterday. We started chatting she had been in a wheelchair for a little over 2 years. She was taking a lot of medications, and felt awful, and that got her motivated. Her doctor told her she would not be walking and she did not let that stop her. She lost 80 pounds in 1 year. She showed me her before picture. Nice woman. We had a pleasant chat about how your health affects so many aspects of your life. I wonder if she is vegetarian.

Physical fitness, for me, is highly addictive. I am so happy to get back into the swing of things. I have to kick it up a notch if I plan on competing next year. I really was missing my regular workouts when Jade was younger, but well she needed me and I enjoy the time we spend together.

i don't exercise because

1 i'm am lazy
    2 i lack motivation (for sport and life in general)
    3 i am isolated (ie no cycle path/pavement, don't fancy running along on main road)
    4 have no transport for getting to the gym and
    5 none of my friends are interested in exercise so no one to keep me company

i wish i could do a martial art but i do plan on at least doing some more exercise at home from now on, to be stronger and more flexible, toned. walking up the hill everyday for lunch is enough cardiovascular exercise for me
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Martial arts would be great, bulletproof. We want our kids to start on martial arts at a young age, maybe as young as 3 or 4. This way they can kick the ass out of anyone who makes fun of them for being vegan .

Quote feline01
    Martial arts would be great, bulletproof. We want our kids to start on martial arts at a young age, maybe as young as 3 or 4. This way they can kick the ass out of anyone who makes fun of them for being vegan .
    Our 3 and 5 year olds are taking karate classes already.
    They love it!

i would like to do more exercise but it's hard for me. i can't ride a bike i've tried to learn (not easy at my age) and i like the idea of it but i'm hopeless so that's out. swimming is expensive so even though i enjoy it i can't go as often as i'd like. i've been running recently but i get out of breath really easily and get bad chest pains i always hated PE at school because the teachers would encourage the kids who were naturally good at sports, and ridicule those who were not quite so gifted.

i used to like playing tennis and squash but don't have any friends who are interested any more, and i'm not very good anyway.

yoga just doesn't do anything for me, and while i'm interested in martial arts i'd feel much too self-conscious to join any classes. i'm thinking about trying a green gym if i can fit it around my job (unfortunately they always seem to be during weekdays). at the moment i just walk as much as possible.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    while i'm interested in martial arts i'd feel much too self-conscious to join any classes.
    I don't know if it would be anything for you, but I love my tae-bo tapes. It's great exercise!

Geoff

[QUOTE=Gorilla]i would like to do more exercise but it's hard for me. i can't ride a bike i've tried to learn (not easy at my age) and i like the idea of it but i'm hopeless so that's out. QUOTE]

I had a lot of trouble learning to ride a bike but eventually taught myself on my Gran's monster 'sit up and beg' bike, so big I had to ride standing up.
    The balance thing suddenly clicked and I was soon riding in races.
    'NOT EASY AT MY AGE' indeed! I've got stuff in my fridge older than you mate. Stick with it. It's a great way to travel.