Thread: Article - Is this the end of meat?

Default Article - Is this the end of meat?

Really interesting article about the first vegetarian butcher in Holland and fake meats. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18183204

Default Re: Article - Is this the end of meat?

That link seems to go to the report about Defra's plan to persecute buzzards, Mymblesdaughter :/

Oops, that was an interesting article as well and very annoying. Here hopefully is the right one http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-7765871.html

I am unclear why this chap is doing this. I guess it is like the article says about fake-fur. I ate a lot of meat before going veggie and then vegan. I don't want to eat it anymore. There is no need.

Quote tofu_lew View Post
    There is no need.
    Very true that there is no need for meat or fake meat, however a lot of new veggies/vegans find these products very useful when they first become vegan and some long time vegans still eat them either from convenience or because they like the taste. Personally I have been vegan a couple of years and still have fake meats a couple of times a week (by which I dont mean tofu/tempeh/seitan but commercially made products such as soy chicken), as long as no animal has been used in making them I don't see them as a problem and they can also be useful in showing omni's that they don't need animal products.

I'm not sure about the idea of a vegan butcher, but a shop that only sold fake meats would be very convenient!

"Is this the end of meat". This guy uses eggs and milk in a lot of his products. There is no difference between using meat or using milk and eggs from an ethical point of view. Just another welfarist initiative to make people feel better about themselves before any actual change is made.

Quote CoolCat View Post
    This guy uses eggs and milk in a lot of his products
    I read the article quickly and must have missed that, what a shame someone would go to all that effort and still use animal products :-/

I really like the idea, though. I don't necessarily think lentils are the way to convince the majority of meat eaters that veggie food can be edible.

"But as for the idea that real meat will one day be off the menu? "Wishful thinking by vegetarians," says Blythman. "Intelligent omnivorism," is more likely, she believes: "red meat and fish once or twice a week and everything else plant-based.""

Yeah. Whatever. And WE'RE thinking wishfully?

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I read the article quickly and must have missed that, what a shame someone would go to all that effort and still use animal products :-/
    I don't know if it is in the article (case of TL;DR) but I know of them and their products. They have some vegan products as well, and mark them as vegan. Usually an indication that they are a bit clueless and don't really get it, or simply don't care. They state things like free-range eggs and stuff like that makes any difference.

I think it has the makings of a good idea for the reasons Firestorm mentioned. I'm sure they ought to be able to get rid of the eggs and dairy - who can really tell the difference if it's in a manufactured product like that?

I definitely think it is a good idea. As LouiseAbel said, most people wont become vegan and make lentils a staple. But if we can make a cheap, tasty meatlike but meatless product, it becomes much easier to be vegan and for restaurants to include vegan products in their menus.

I am sure this guy could use different products than eggs and milk, they can be replaced in baking, why not this? Its nice to at least know that his products are popular and that some are vegan.