Thread: nut butters

sen2two

Default nut butters

Does anyone here own a Olde Tyme PN1 (same one you'll see in whole foods to make your own fresh nut butters) nut butter grinder? I just bought one and am looking for some good recipes for different types of nut butters. I have been making raw peanut butter and raw almond butter in my food processor for the last year, but this new industrial grinder has me a little overwhelmed...

Any tips from someone who has used one of these?

Default Re: nut butters

I don't have that machine, nor did I ever make nut butter in a food processor or any other way. But I do like cashew butter. If you never had it make sure to add it to the list of nut butters to make/try. The ingredients are just cashews, so I figure it's making a smooth paste out of cashews. Something your new toy should be able to do right?

The store here has two varieties. A darker one and a white one. The darker one uses roasted cashews and the white regular ones. I only tasted the the white one and it is so yum.

Quote sen2two
    nut butter grinder... industrial grinder
    I've never seen an industrial nut grinder, it's pretty cool that you have one! I agree with Coolcat that cashew butter is pretty fantastic, I suppose you could also make your own chocolate/hazelnut spread (ie Nutella) or tahini (sesame seed butter).
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: nut butters

I remember reading a book from the owner of The peanut butter co, he gave a few tips such as to make crunchy nut butters you have to make a smooth nut butter first then add whole/broken nuts into it. Also there is a specific type of peanut that is best for making peanut butter with, I think it was runner or something but if I can find the book I will have a look.