Thread: Traveling to Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark - Anyone live there?

Default Traveling to Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark - Anyone live there?

Hi All - Going to be traveling to the above countries for two weeks the end of July/first of August with my girlfriend (both vegan). We have a car and this trip will be kind of a road trip for us. I have checked old posts and Happy Cow but looking for any "real" world experience on how hard it is going to be for us to eat. For the most part I am not to concerned since a large majority of our trip we are sticking to major cities (Gothenborg>Oslo>Stockholm>Helsinki>Jyvalskyla>Cop enhagen - maybe Berlin for one day too).

Is there an equivalent to a Whole Foods or similar to what we have here in the US (Arizona) in any of the Scandinavian countries? Being on the road and having a vehicle we figure if we can stock up on staples at a grocery store, then if we happen to be in a town and can't find anything to eat at least we won't go hungry

We actually found a vegan/raw cook on AirBnB in Copenhagen so we are staying there for those 2-3 nights of our journey. Feel free to chime in if you live anywhere close by or have traveled there recently, thanks!

Default Re: Traveling to Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark - Anyone live there?

I don't live in Norway, but I spend at least three months a year there.
    People are very helpful in Norway. I've never had a problem eating vegan there. I tend to just shop at the main supermarkets. They have soy, rice, and oat milk readily available (I haven't seen any tofu, though). Oslo also has some vegan restaurants, and most places are happy to help.

if we happen to be in a town and can't find anything to eat
    That just won't happen!
    I'm with Muvesz: it's not a problem to find vegan food to eat in Oslo. The same is true for all other Scandinavian cities I've been to.

Last time I checked, Happy Cow had some good recommendations for Oslo, and here are some more, based on my personal preferences:

Best Indian: New Anarkali. Thorvald Meyers gate 76. They are really good at making vegan versions of lacto-veg dishes.
    Best hummus: Carmel Grill,
    Dronningens gate 27Best Mexican: Mucho Mas (two locations, try Thorvald Meyers gate 36 first!). The guacamole isn't vegan, so they'll give you half an avocado instead, if you say you're a vegan.
    There's also a great Thai place near Bislett in Oslo (I think it's Tasty Thai, Thereses gate 51e), with many vegan menu options. Really good food.
    I could give you many other recommendations for really tasty vegan food, but unless you'll stay there for weeks, you won't be able to check them all out.

Then there's the veggie places and other places recommended by HappyCow: Vega, Habibi...

I've lived in Oslo for 15+ years, and it's becoming increasingly easy to find great vegan food there for a long time. All restaurants will make something vegan for you ask for it. And Stockholm is even easier, at least when it comes to dedicated veg places...

--

Check other threads with Norway or Oslo in the thread title, and you'll find more info. We also have threads about other Scandinavian areas.

ETA:
    Apparenty Yamas, a Greek, small place with vegan options) (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yamas...17784394919914 and http://www.yelp.no/biz/yamas-oslo) is also good.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Brands that you are likely to come across and which are _as far as I know_ all vegan:

Alpro
    GoGreen
    Oatly
    Soya Tofu
    Yosa

Not so often:

Plamil
    Wheaty (sausage)

It's not a long list but it will save you a lot of time if you come to rely on a dictionary or something.

Re. brands: Last time I was at a (small) health food store, I checked how many types of vegan bread spreads they had, and it was between 25 and 30.
    And AFAIK – if you use so called 'milk substitutes' – you can get soy, rice, oat (etc) milk products even in really small cities. A supermarket not far from here, a small place with maybe 10,000 citizens, has a least 7 different types of vegan ice cream. I don't know anything about Finland, but I think your trip will be easy as a breeze, RiseAgainst.

ETA: vegan.nu could be a good place if you are looking for dedicated vegan restaurants in Sweden.