Thread: Double standard of vivisectionists

Default Double standard of vivisectionists

Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: “Because the animals are like us.” Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: “Because the animals are not like us.” Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~ Charles R. Magel (1920- ) American emeritus professor of philosophy and ethics

I saw this recently. It really does seem like biology needs the most cognitive dissonance when you study animals. The obvious fact that animals are sentient, emotional creatures who possess intelligence would be a hard thing to reconcile with meat eating. The only person who studies biology that I know still believes that animals are Cartesian machines and cant even remember what happens to them a moment prior...

Quote TarekF
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: “Because the animals are like us.” Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: “Because the animals are not like us.” Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~ Charles R. Magel (1920- )
    That's a very succinct quote. I've actually been thinking alot about that contradictiom recently and how little it makes sense.
    Houmous atá ann!