Thread: sweet potatoes

Question sweet potatoes

how do you like them best?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

uhm this is going to sound really stupid, but can u eat the skin on sweet potatoes? LOL.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I bake the sweet potatoes until they're soft (soggy) cut them in half, and put some margarine on top.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

They're also good mashed with nutmeg and cinnamon.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

They're also good mashed with nutmeg and cinnamon
    There is also an African dish that involves mashing them with cardamom and mixing the mash with cooked spinach, sweetcorn and peas - that's delicious too. You'll need some veggie gravy or salsa to moisten it.

I do eat the skins sometimes, depending on what my dietary fibre levels are like that day

FR

Fried

I usually chop them up and prepare in an African bean dish. They are very good. I occasionally eat them baked (within their skins) with nothing added.
    Yes you can eat them with their skins.
    I grow them in the garden, and buy them from a local coop.

Love

Thumbs up Sweet Potato Heaven

I used to think the yummiest way to prepare sweet potatoes was to peel and then chop them into rough chunks,place them on a baking tray and brush/spray/dab them with a little cooking oil and last but by no means leat,give the a generous dusting of cinnamon powder then placing them in a hot oven,around 200,for approx 45 minutes,turning and redusting half way through cooking until...
    I discovered the ultimate in sweet potato heaven which is
    6 sweet poataoes
    1 cup of sugar
    a quarter of a cup of water
    half a cup of margarine
    2 tablespoons of vanilla flavouring
    peel and cut sweet potaoes into large cubes
    boil in a a saucepan of water for around 10 minutes
    drain and place in a baking dish and dot with the margarine
    in a saucepan boil the water,sugar and vanilla and pour over the potatoes
    bake for approx45 minutes,basting frequently
    enjoy
    with love from Love.XXX.

god i love sweet potatoes!!! yummm...I usually just bake them...very lightly so not mushy....and eat them plain cause they have much flavor already.....orrrrrrr they are GREAT to make oven fries with....or stir fried kinda like hash browns for breakfast.

whole foods had a sale on organic yams not too long ago.....also very yummy!

I usually peel them, put them in a tupperwear/bowl with a cover, add some water and heat them in the microwave.

Then I eat them plain, sometimes mashed up.

In the summer I grill them on a squewer (how do you spell that?)...um, you know a bamboo stick. slice or cube them, stick on the stick, brush with some margarine and brown sugar and grill until the are crunchy carmalized sugar on the outside and soft on the inside. Great for dessert after a bbq!

I love sweet potatos! My mom got this great dish at Wholefoods for thanksgiving last year, it had orange juice with the creamed sweet potatos and some other spices. very good!

Scrambles, tacos, burritos, stirfries, oven fries, hashed fries, whipped, roasted in pureed soups, in chunky veggie soups, I think I even put some in chili once.

Basically, I eat them any way I can. Even baked like a potato with a bit of olive oil on it. The only way I won't eat them is sweetened (they're sweet enough on their own).

I eat the skins too. The skins are the best part.

Default Macrobiotic sweet potato recipe

I found this recipe on this macrobiotic recipe site. I have done it multiple times and LOVE it! The natural sweetness of the carrots and sweet potatoes compliment each other very much, and you don't have to add sugar. And one thing that is cool about macrobiotic cooking is that sesame oil and sea salt make EVERYTHING taste good! And, like much of macrobiotic cooking, it is also amazingly simple and easy.

BAKED CARROTS & SWEET POTATO
    For 4

* 1 Large sweet potato, cut in 1" pieces
    * 2 Large carrots, cut into large, irregular chunks
    * 1 t. Sesame oil
    * 1/2 t. Sea Salt
    * 1/2 t. Black pepper (optional)

Wash and cut vegetables. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, being certain to coat all pieces with the oil. Transfer to a glass baking dish with a cover. Bake at 375 F. for 45-50 m., or till done. Serve warm.

candied sweet potato...mmmm

Once I made sweet potato and black bean burritos. There was heaps of sweet potato puree left over (just sweet potato and salt) and I ended up ditching my burritos and eating the sweet potato for dinner....mmmmmmmm sweet potato is my one true love...

I actually have a recipe for sweet potato and lentil soup. Don't have time to post now but I will

Chpped and steamed is my favourite, mostly because the only thing that takes less time than steaming is raw, and raw sweet potatoes taste like raw carrots to me. I also like to eat them with potatoes and brussle sprouts dipped in hummus...

Of course they're good in pie too.

I love sweet potatoes mashed with raisins, hot pepper flakes and garam masala.
    My favorite veg restaurant makes a wonderful sweet potato and black bean burrito.
    I would love to read recipes of some of the dishes mentioned above.
    I don't care for the skin of s.p. baked whole but do like the skin on the ones sliced and lightly brushed with olive oil before baking.

nervine

Default Re: sweet potatoes

baked in the oven with skin and all, when done put some tahini on top

Peeled and cut into chunks. Steamed/baked with chunks of pototaes and beets. When this is done, mix with a liberal helping of Vegenaise. Delicious!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Quote Andie View Post
    I love sweet potatoes mashed with raisins, hot pepper flakes and garam masala.
    My favorite veg restaurant makes a wonderful sweet potato and black bean burrito.
    I would love to read recipes of some of the dishes mentioned above.
    I don't care for the skin of s.p. baked whole but do like the skin on the ones sliced and lightly brushed with olive oil before baking.
    Do you have La Dolce Vegan? I'm sure there is a sweet potato and black bean burrito recipe in there!

I like them baked along with regular potato and pumpkin, with a sprinkle of salt.

Am I the only person who hates sweet potatoes? LOL

Maybe I ate too many regular potatoes growing up, belonging to an Irish family and all (it's not an Irish stereotype, we really do LOVE potatoes LOL!). I just can't stomach sweet potatoes, my brain keeps telling me something's wrong and potatoes aren't supposed to taste sweet! Probably the same reason I can't eat plain avocado: my brain keeps telling me that fruit isn't supposed to be creamy!

However, I do admit that I used to enjoy yam tempura. I'd like to find a recipe for vegan tempura batter so I can make it at home along with the sushi that I recently started making.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I have the same problem with bananas. The creaminess gives me the textual illusion that they have milk in them. That makes me gag.

nervine

Quote redberries View Post
    I have the same problem with bananas. The creaminess gives me the textual illusion that they have milk in them. That makes me gag.
    You need to relax, lol