Thread: The Vegan Cookbook: Over 90 Mouthwatering Recipes for All Occasions

Default The Vegan Cookbook: Over 90 Mouthwatering Recipes for All Occasions

Hello there!

I am a new member to this forum and also a new vegan. As I am new to veganism I thought it would be a good idea to invest in a vegan cookbook. I'm a fairly confident cook but I didn't do a smooth transition from meat-eater to vegan, I just decided one day to be vegan (about a month ago) and haven't looked back. I have had certain knock backs (e.g my parents bought me Quorn, which I thought was ok at first and then realised it wasn't suitable for vegans, I've had to eat it as I don't want to waste my parents money and effort!) but apart from a few minor mistakes I've enjoyed my new diet While my cooking skills are pretty good, my knowledge of vegan foods isn't and I wanted to know more about the foods of a vegan diet and some new recipes. For a while I have been doing pretty standard meals and just removing the meat and finding protein from other sources, for example a roast dinner without meat, with vegan gravy, vegan yorkshire puddings etc but I want to find recipes which aren't just meals with the meat/animal parts removed, if you see what I mean

Anyway, the cookbook I found and am thinking of buying is called "The Vegan Cookbook: Over 90 Mouthwatering Recipes for All Occasions". Does anyone own this book? Any opinions? I've read that it's good for the basics and for new vegans which is ideal for me really.

Also, I scanned the forum for a thread about this book and couldn't find one, apologies if there already is one, I'm new to this forum thing!

Thanks,

Satin x

Heya Satin, I'm not familar with that particular book but there are other ones that I've heard are good such as Veganomincon, Another Dinner is Possible, 500 Vegan Recipes. I don't have a big cookbook collection myself (I only have about 7 which isn't much in comparison to most vegans!) but I know there are a few cookbook hoarders around who could probably help you!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: The Vegan Cookbook: Over 90 Mouthwatering Recipes for All Occasions

Hi Satin!

Is that the book by Tony Weston and Yvonne Bishop? If so, I've got that one. Along with a huge shelf of others! Yes, it's a good cookbook but I find some of the recipes fiddly, if you know what I mean?

The first book we got was from the library, and was La Dolce Vegan! by Sarah Kramer. We found this book fantastic to start with. We then bought How It All Vegan! by Sarah Kramer, and I would really recommend this. We use it a lot, and have a few 'regular' dishes we make from out of it. Straightforward recipes, maybe kinda basic, but delicious!! A lot of useful hints and tips, and something for everybody
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Thanks Blueberries which book do you have which you find most useful?

Hi pusskins yeah it's that one. Well as long as it's got some tasty new recipes in that's ok, I was a bit clueless on Vegan cookbooks when looking which one to buy! Thanks for those links to the other books, they look great I will be buying those next You never know when looking on your own (and none of my friends are vegan) so getting some advice from here has been very useful.

x
    "Chickens, pigs and other animals? They are interesting individuals with personalities and intelligence..."
    ~ Pamela Anderson

Quote Satin
    Thanks Blueberries which book do you have which you find most useful?
    I tend to use cookbooks more for inspiration than for recipes. I use 'Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World' alot simply because baking is a science where everything needs to be exact.

I have 'Vegan With a Vengeance', 'How it All Vegan', 'Garden of Vegan','Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World', 'Vegan Cooking for One', '500 Vegan Recipes', 'Alternative Vegan' and 'Go Vegan Student Cookbook'. I flick through them every once in a while, there are good recipes in all of them in varying quantities. My favourite is 'Vegan With A Vengeance' which I bought when I went vegan 4 years ago, but to be honest if I was going vegan now I'd buy Veganomicon instead as it looks really good, Isa's recipes are reliable. My problem with most of my cookbooks is that I feel they've a few good recipes and the rest of them are just filler to make a book.

TBH I'm a bit disillusioned with cookbooks at the moment as I feel that most of them are very American (not an insult, its just that I'd prefer cookbooks to come from more of a variety of cultures) and repetitive.

Rant over!
    Houmous atá ann!

Yes I'd like to get a baking cookbook as that is something I am truly clueless about (even before I was vegan baking was never my strong point) so trying to comprehend baking without eggs etc is something I'll need help with I bought some egg replacer but have no idea what I'm doing with it!

I will keep an eye out for some of those and slowly build up a collection until I feel comfortable experimenting a bit more, thanks.

I know what you mean about the high percentage of them being American, I wanted to buy an English/UK cookbook as I thought it would be easier for me being new with measurements/ingredients. I've noticed a lot of vegan recipes are Eastern, a lot of curries, hearty stir frys etc which is great as I love all that kind of food

x
    "Chickens, pigs and other animals? They are interesting individuals with personalities and intelligence..."
    ~ Pamela Anderson