Thread: Difference between soft and silken tofu, or types of tofu between countries?

Default Difference between soft and silken tofu, or types of tofu between countries?

Does anyone happen to know if there's a difference between what's called "soft" and what's called "silken" tofu? Particularly between countries like the UK and US?

The reason I ask is that I've noticed a lot of US cookbooks seem to call for "soft" tofu at certain times where it seems quite inappropriate. For instance in Vegan with a Vengeance the Spanish Omelette recipe calls for soft tofu. The only type of soft tofu available in the UK, to the best of my knowledge, is described as silken. Making the omelette like this the thing comes out as a liquidy mess. I can still use the recipe, but I have to add loads of chickpea flour to make it bind. I can't remember another example off the top of my head but I don't think this is the only time I've noticed this.

The alternative is to use firm tofu, which I haven't tried but I'm guessing it wouldn't bind either, and come out like some kind of scramble.

Is there some elusive "soft" tofu type lurking around that actually isn't very soft and works in recipes that are supposed to bind together? Is anyone clued up on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Default Re: Difference between soft and silken tofu, or types of tofu between countries?

I think soft tofu is a softer version of firm tofu, but its not actually silken. I don't think we get much choice in the UK, its either silken or firm.

This is a quote from a website "soft tofu = sui-doufu Notes: This is the Chinese version of Japan's silken tofu. Like silken tofu, it's good for making shakes, dips, custards, puddings, and dressings. Look for plastic tubs with cakes of tofu in the refrigerated sections of supermarkets and health food stores. Don't freeze this kind of tofu. Substitutes: silken tofu (This has a smoother consistency and isn't as sweet as soft tofu.) OR sour cream (in dressings, dips, or sauces) OR mayonnaise (in dressings, dips, or sauces) OR yogurt (in smoothies)"