Thread: Live chickens being sold at markets

Default Live chickens being sold at markets

As part of my job I've been helping out on our veg stall at a local farmers market. One of the stalls that sells eggs also sells live chickens and duck. The man who runs it does give them some water and puts a cover on the top of the cages to try to stop them getting too hot. I find it upsetting every week I have to see them there. I have heard him say in the past that they aren't for eating they are just to buy as layers. Anyway today I went over and told him that the ducks looked distressed as they had their mouths open. He did then put them some more water and they looked happier. He then came over to our stall and chatted a bit and then said he was hoping to sell the three cockerels to some Turkish guys who sometimes came down and that they use them for Halal meat. He then made a quick exit probably due to the look that had appeared on my face.

Does anyone know if this is legal. I know there doesn't seem to be that much protection for Chickens under UK law. I spent the rest of the market worrying that these guys would appear and I'd have to buy 3 cockerels and somehow keep them in my one bedroom flat. I've contacted Compassion to see if they can offer any help. Has anyone come across this sort of situation before?

That sounds awful Mymble. I haven't come across that before but then I don't go to farmers' markets very often. You did the right thing contacting an animal group to see if its legal, I vert much doubt it is but these people always find some sort of loophole.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Live chickens being sold at markets

Thanks Blueberries, farmers markets aren't very vegan friendly places so probably most people on here don't go to them I suppose. They seem to sell mainly meat and cheese. I try to harden myself to these things but I really thought I was going to be sick just thinking about those poor chicken's fate. If I can't do anything about the situation, I'm going to have to tell my boss I can't do the market anymore. Luckily I work for a pretty ethical organisation so think he will understand.