(This isn't from a vegan site)
More dietetic crimes against humanity
If you were diagnosed with bowel cancer and were scheduled for tumour removal and a gut resection would you instinctively choose food like this for your healing and recovery? Actually – would you ever choose food like this?
- Tinned macaroni cheese, spaghetti or spaghetti bolognese
- Instant potato mixes
- Frozen or ready meals that can be baked or microwaved
- Baked beans on toast with grated cheese or a poached egg
- Tinned or packet soups made with fortified milk (see below for ingredients) or add grated cheese – eat with bread and butter
- Longlife double cream
- Tinned milk puddings, sponge puddings, crème caramels, instant whip (made with fortified milk)
- Milk – dried, evaporated or longlife
- Tinned fruit in syrup
- Cheese and cheese spreads for toast
Snacks for between meals
- Breakfast cereals (if softened with milk)
- Sweet biscuits (dip in tea to soften)
- Piece of cake (add cream/custard to soften)
- Rice pudding
- Cheese and biscuits
- Cubes of cheese
A close relative of one of the ANH-Intl team is being faced with such a nutritional dilemma in a major UK NHS hospital.
Is this really an innocuous healthy food? What about our ability to digest milk and dairy products? Milk is one of the most well known foods allergens through either an allergy to the cow's milk protein or a deficiency of lactase to digest the predominant sugar, lactose. Reactions can be swift (30 mins to 2 hours after eating) and include a range of symptoms from nausea, cramps, bloating and gas to diarrhoea. Whilst these are unpleasant, they are not considered life threatening, but what people fail to realise is that they are still a source of intense inflammation. And inflammation is one of the key foundation stones of chronic disease.
Many people don't realise that they have a problem with a food allergen such as lactose. And also don't realise that it's hidden in so many foods, such as bread, baked goods, processed breakfast cereals, instant potato mash, margarine, lunch meats, sweets and sugary snacks, mixes for pancakes, biscuits and cookies and powdered meal-replacements — actually pretty much most of the recommendations from the dieticians!