Thread: Raw porridge oats

Default Raw porridge oats

I'm new at this and need advice. How do you do raw porridge/oats? As simple as possible, please?

I always have a large bowl of porridge and flaxseed every morning but obviously I cook it and ideally I'd rather go raw.
    Can you make warm porridge raw?
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Default Re: Raw porridge oats

You could try overnight oats (oats, chia seeds, flavouring such as cocoa powder, fruit & milk alternative). There are loads of recipes for overnight oats online, this is one of my favourites: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/02/01/car...vernight-oats/

If you want to do this due to 'zee enzymes!' then keep in mind that the vast majority of commercial oats are heat treated at some point.

There are oat groats sold as raw but I have found that they are extremely hard to find or you have to order them online from a reputable source. I have not been able to find raw oat groats in the stores where I live, and rolled or steel cut oats are not raw as far as I know.

I have used raw buckwheat groats (not roasted kasha but raw whole kernal buckwheat groats). They are easy to work with as they only need a twenty minute to a few hour soaking (I have also just eaten them as but I dont know how well the body breaks them down and digests them this way). I have soaked a batch overnight, then added it with a banana, fresh mint leaves, and a little water to my blendtec blender and blended it to a creamy consistancy. I will add blueberries on top or chia seeds or whatever else suits me after blending them. You can throw in raw cacao nibs or carob when you blend them too for added flavor, and add chopped dates if you need it sweeter. Here is a recipe for it:
    http://goneraw.com/recipe/buckwheat-porridge

I have a photo of my raw porridge too:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sometimes I will just soak the buckwheat groats and then add nuts and fruit to it for a raw crunchy breakfast without the creamy porridge consistancy.

[IMG][/IMG]

I am not eating all raw or even halfway raw right now (I did 100% raw for a short time a while back) but this is just something I enjoy raw once in a while. Buckwheat groats isthe only grain I ate when I was raw and I really missed my grains. It was too hard for me to stick with and I wasnt enjoying it. I love the way I eat now.

At any rate I hope you find something that works for you!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    You could try overnight oats (oats, chia seeds, flavouring such as cocoa powder, fruit & milk alternative). There are loads of recipes for overnight oats online, this is one of my favourites: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/02/01/car...vernight-oats/

I second this post!!! This blog is fantastic and i've tried this recipe and it is soooo good! Her recipe for blueberry overnight oats is the best
    http://ohsheglows.com/2011/06/04/blu...vernight-oats/

Quote Firestorm View Post
    This is what I do. Well, it is similar.

1/3 c. oats
    3/4 c. soy milk
    2 tsp flax seeds
    1 mashed up banana

Mix up super well and refridgerate over night. Then in the morning I mix in either a touch of maple syrup or a 1/2 tbs of peanut butter and 1/2 tbs jam. (That's what I had for breakfast today!)