Thread: Cheapest place to buy organic grocery, London

Default Cheapest place to buy organic grocery, London

I've been comparing prices of the major organic health shops and delivery services on my quest to find the most affordable way to shop for organic grocery in London.
    So far, from cheapest to most expensive:

1. Sainsburys (very limited selection)
    2. Waitrose (also limited selection)
    3. Riverford home delivery (cheapest home delivery, very limited choice though)
    4. Abel & Cole (30% more expensive than Riverford, but decent selection)
    5. Fresh & Wild/Wholefoods (as expensive as A&C, limited selection). I know only their Camden town branch, never been to the bigger store in South Kensington.

I have never been to a Planet Organic, UeberOrganic and other smaller shops, so I am wondering how they compare, and if anyone knows of other places/delivery services where to buy organic produce

Thx.

Default Re: Cheapest place to buy Organic Grocery, London

Re delivery services, I have been using this one for a while http://oneorganic.co.uk/shop/boxes - they sell non-vegan stuff as well now unfortunately. Not sure how they compare pricewise but they are quite reliable.

I have used Farmaround in the past. They had more in the way of organic groceries apart from fruit and veg - but sometimes used to get the orders muddled if I remember correctly.

These two don't deliver to all parts of London but there are are probably other local schemes where you are - I think there may be a list on the Soil Association website.

Am not so keen on the national schemes as it seems to involve more trucking etc although I don't know how local a veg scheme can be in London really :/

For actual groceries (as opposed to fruit and veg) I remember someone saying that buying in bulk from Suma worked out cheap.

Quote harpy View Post
    Re delivery services, I have been using this one for a while http://oneorganic.co.uk/shop/boxes - they sell non-vegan stuff as well now unfortunately. Not sure how they compare pricewise but they are quite reliable.

I have used Farmaround in the past. They had more in the way of organic groceries apart from fruit and veg - but sometimes used to get the orders muddled if I remember correctly.

These two don't deliver to all parts of London but there are are probably other local schemes where you are - I think there may be a list on the Soil Association website.

Am not so keen on the national schemes as it seems to involve more trucking etc although I don't know how local a veg scheme can be in London really :/

For actual groceries (as opposed to fruit and veg) I remember someone saying that buying in bulk from Suma worked out cheap.
    Hi, Thank you for the suggestions

Byuying in bulk sounds interesting, but the Suma website says they sell only to businesses?

Yes the retail bit of their web site seems to be switched off at the moment http://www.suma.coop/faq/sumas-onlin...y-unavailable/ The "food group" idea discussed there sounds interesting if you can rope in some neighbours etc - I've heard of people doing that though I doubt if my neighbours would be into it...